My 6 TB RAID10 is Nearly Full

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Less than 300 gigabytes left. 285 movies on DVD, 96 movies on Blu-Rays, all of Game of Thrones (yes, I know "just t*ts and dragons", but I like it) seasons 1 to 5, and a handfull of TV box sets . The discs fill, and I mean fill, three big plastic storage tubs!

Not bad for a 4 x 3 TB RAID setup in a box measuring 5 x 6.5 x 8 inches!

The disc drives in the current RAID box (mediasonic ProRAID HFR2-SU3S2, and I'm going to use another identical box to house the next formation of spinning rust discs, as the box has proved to be faultlessly reliable and is very quiet in operation. It measures just 5 x 6.5 x 8 inches too. I don't need NAS as such, because I use a master home theatre PC in the media room. I also have three spare HTPCs in Silverstone Milo HPTC cases ready to deploy as and when I can afford Windows 10 and some cheap graphics cards to put in them. Yes, I know, Linux, but no-one else round here could cope with that, so it's Windows 10 or bust.

ANYWAY.....

Questions are:

1, Given the Western Digital Caviar Greens are being phased out or will shortly be no longer available, are there any recommendations for alternatives? Mainstream brands only please, either 3 or 4 terabytes.

2, Should I go for 7200 rpm discs or will 5400 rpm units do just fine?

abacus

5400 rpm will be fine. (Although most will be 7200)

Go for server discs as they are designed to be constantly running (Red if you like WD) and dispense with energy saving hardware. (WD Green have energy saving which can blunt performance in a server)

Use Raid 5, as it will give you higher capacity and full protection, although performance is a little less then Raid 10, but is still way above the requirements for a home NAS.

Hope this helps

Bill

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
abacus said:
5400 rpm will be fine. (Although most will be 7200)

Go for server discs as they are designed to be constantly running (Red if you like WD) and dispense with energy saving hardware. (WD Green have energy saving which can blunt performance in a server)

Use Raid 5, as it will give you higher capacity and full protection, although performance is a little less then Raid 10, but is still way above the requirements for a home NAS.

Hope this helps

Bill
Thanks for that. WD Reds will do fine then. Will probably still go for RAID10, because I can understand that, and as the "plus one" cost of a fourth hard disc isn't that much more.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
davidf said:
This is why I'm not touching HDD drives for movies - owning over 1500 blurays! Plus DVDs...

I'll stick to shelves :)
35 gigabytes (typical) per movie equals just 53 terabytes - equals just twelve 8 terabyte hardisks - or therabouts - in a RAID 5 configuration - what are you waiting for???*crazy*

​And what did you do to get 1500 blu-rays - buy out a closing down video rental place? *biggrin*

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
35 gigabytes (typical) per movie equals just 53 terabytes - equals just twelve 8 terabyte hardisks - or therabouts - in a RAID 5 configuration - what are you waiting for???*crazy*

​And what did you do to get 1500 blu-rays - buy out a closing down video rental place? *biggrin*
Excessive shopping/hoarding, call it what you will!

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
on shelves in another room as I have run out of wall space in my main room.

to those wondering how you get over 1500 blu-rays its easy, I used to buy at least 3 to 4 a week sometimes more.

a few months ago I tried to catalogue all of my dvds and blu-rays (because I had started to buy the same title without realising I already had it), got up to 400 before stopping and looking around to see I still had another 8 shelves worth to go, so as of todays date I have not restarted my task.

by the way I'm with David, there is no way I'm downloading/copying any of my discs to hard drives.

*nea*

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
that my other room is also being taken over by my substantial vinyl collection (which is growing rapidly every month) plus all of my cd's (again on shelves), very soon I will have to start branching out into a third room.

*help*

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I've calmed down on the vinyl over the past 4/5 months, as my collection was rapidly expanding too.

I use wallets for my DVDs which has saved a lot of space - I don't trust them long term though, marking the discs whether you take them out or not! Some end up sticking to the sleeves if they haven't been touched for a while.

Although it would be nice to have it all on digital storage (and after seeing/hearing the Innuos Zen+ I seriously considered it), I just think it'd be a little pricey for my needs. The two bookshelves I bought are doing a good enough job for now (despite not housing them all).

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
All my CDs have been ripped to FLACs.

What's the best way to store them to stop "disc rot", i.e. that blackening of the shiny metal layer sandwiched in the plastic? I lost about 50 to 100 discs to that over the years.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
in all my years of collecting cd's, dvd's, blu-ray's etc, I've never lost any to "disc rot" even those stored for a long time in a less than ideal place (a non heated loft space).

*shok*

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Feral said:
Do you store them in a swamp?  Never lost a disc to anything other than cracks and scratches
Houston Texas summer: 100 degrees F, 100℅ relative humidity, me working overseas, CDs boxed up in a tin shed storage unit...Not exactly ideal storage conditions...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts