... tempted to home dem some LS50s. I was delivering in Guildford earlier and popped in SSAV. After a chin-wag with the salesperson, he said I could take them home and try and see if they suit my taste... more crucially the room layout. This is the problem I've had: Those TB2is are superb but I think they need a larger room to hear at their best.

Last year we were moving to a slightly bigger house but that all fell through... totally outside our control.

Priority, though, is still the turntable, once I've off-loaded the CDPs.

C'est la vie.

CnoEvil said:
No harm having a home dem. *diablo*

I know how much you rave over them. Perhaps if I'm really that bored/desperate/hacking down the walls in frustration...

I heard them briefly (couple of years ago) with Arcam A19, but again it wasn't inside 'Penguin Towers'. Maybe in my bungalow they'll blow me away... or could be left disappointed.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
No harm having a home dem. *diablo*

Seconded! I wouldn't pass on a home demo of a raved about product. You might not like it, but it's probably worth the time to find out if you do.

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
I had some Spendor A3 speakers and moved to the LS50 and I am not dissapointed.

I am currently using the loft as a listening room which needs some accoustic treatment but the LS50 are worth the money.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Jota180 said:
Those KEF's are unbelievably good but do appreciate an amp with some power and solid stands. At times it defies belief the sound they can produce.

I've got no real concerns in this area. I've powered Totem Arros which are tricky little suckers and the Leema had no issues.

My first amp was fine at lower levels, the mid range and higher frequencies were clear but when I paired the LS50's with the H160 the difference was immediately apparent once you gave them a little juice. Originally I had slightly wobbly stands and replacing them with very sturdy one's sorted a loose and boomy bass at mid to higher volumes. For such a small box they do appear to produce some amount of bass, The clarity for me was uncanny after replacing a tired old pair of B&W DM303.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Try them at home PP..Just make sure you give enough space around for them to really sing.

The back of mine (when I had them) sat about 65cm from the rear wall. I have a slight 'u' shape to my room either side of a chimney so sitting them outside that made a huge difference. It might be that I wouldn't have needed them as far out if I had a straight, flat wall behind them. I didn't like them with the bungs in.

Jota180 said:
plastic penguin said:
Jota180 said:
Those KEF's are unbelievably good but do appreciate an amp with some power and solid stands. At times it defies belief the sound they can produce.

I've got no real concerns in this area. I've powered Totem Arros which are tricky little suckers and the Leema had no issues.

My first amp was fine at lower levels, the mid range and higher frequencies were clear but when I paired the LS50's with the H160 the difference was immediately apparent once you gave them a little juice. Originally I had slightly wobbly stands and replacing them with very sturdy one's sorted a loose and boomy bass at mid to higher volumes. For such a small box they do appear to produce some amount of bass, The clarity for me was uncanny after replacing a tired old pair of B&W DM303.

What was your first amp with LS50s?

Regards placement I have the PMCs and the previous RS6s about 18" from the back wall. The wall is straight but the TV is only about 3-5" from the side of the speakers one side and about 12-18" the other side of the rack.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Jota180 said:
plastic penguin said:
Jota180 said:

Regards placement I have the PMCs and the previous RS6s about 18" from the back wall. The wall is straight but the TV is only about 3-5" from the side of the speakers one side and about 12-18" the other side of the rack.

The Naim NAP 100. 50W into 8 Ohm and 75W into 4 Ohm.

Jota180 said:
plastic penguin said:
Jota180 said:
plastic penguin said:
Jota180 said:

Ah, right. The Leema is 80 watts into 8ohms and retailed around £1250 ish.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Jota180 said:
plastic penguin said:
Jota180 said:
plastic penguin said:
Jota180 said:

Is your amp the Elements? If so then it doubles it's power into 4 Ohms which indicates it's got the guts for the job.

Jota180 said:
plastic penguin said:
Jota180 said:
plastic penguin said:
Jota180 said:
plastic penguin said:
Jota180 said:

Is your amp the Elements? If so then it doubles it's power into 4 Ohms which indicates it's got the guts for the job.

Nay. It's the Pulse MKI. This one.

I do get a bit concerned given that the talk is about the LS50s need good amplification. Most speakers worth their sort do. For a good couple of years WHFI highly recommended partnering the LS50s with Arcam A19 - so can't see any issues with my amp in that dept.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
I do get a bit concerned given that the talk is about the LS50s need good amplification. Most speakers worth their sort do. For a good couple of years WHFI highly recommended partnering the LS50s with Arcam A19 - so can't see any issues with my amp in that dept.
I also see no issues with your amp....but the LS50s have considerable headroom (IMO), which simply means they just get better and better as a system improves (provided they are set up properly).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts