All TV purchases must stop!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
No one should buy a TV until next spring when apparently Freeview HD will arrive. Otherwise we will all take a step back in time and need separate set top boxes again! And hey, the TV's should be cheaper and better by then anyway. I know I know, it doesn't really matter if you have SKY HD already. Let's hope that this development will start to weaken SKY's virtual monopoly of TV content.

harveymt

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
Personally I think Sky has the monopoly due to the great service it provides. Just look at Setanta and further back, ITV digital. Not great services and people voted with their cash.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
The downside of Sky's monopoly is they can [retty much behave as they wish towards us regrds pricing etc, even poor service - tho i dont hear much about that - because they do, and probably still will in a year, provide more HD than anyone else. I dont have HD but im with sky because they provide, again, just more than anyone else.

EDIT - and it will always be this way now, with new things making your kit obsolete, because theyve figured they can do it, not least because we're all pretty well off. It wont stop until the country really goes bust.

One really could have quite a rant, but whats the point?

A

Anonymous

It's true that Freeview HD transmissions are scheduled to begin around December of this year, with suitable hardware hitting the streets a little later, but the crucial point is that this service will only be available in certain parts of the country at launch. It won't be a nationwide service until 2012 at the very earliest (regardless of what you may read to the contrary in the national press). Yes, plans are afoot to help speed the process along, particularly for the London area, but they are not - as yet - anything more than plans.

So even you do hold fire now and wait until next year to buy an IDTV with a Freeview-HD capable TV receiver (DVB-T2) built-in, it doesn't automatically follow that you'll then be able to watch Freeview HD straight away. You may still have to wait until the broadcasting capability reaches your area.

If you want to know more, check out the Ultimate Guide to Television, on sale now. We've got the facts straight from the broadcasters themselves - we interviewed the General Manager of Freeview, the Managing Director of Freesat, the head of BBC HD, Ofcom's senior adviser on the digital switchover and many other senior figures in broadcasting.

A

Anonymous

Hang on a minute I thought it was coming via DVB-T4 and not DVB-T2 you speak of? If this is the case then a number of 'old' LCD/Plasma's with this tuner will work! I think we need more info on this before we jump the gun!

Editor can you help clear this up?

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
i think sky is great a little dear but what isnt these days i got loads of hd chanels now even got itv hd working for the england game the other night.but freeview hd would be welcomed to. the more hd available be it on disc or tv all help with pushing the standerd on

A

Anonymous

spokes:
Hang on a minute I thought it was coming via DVB-T4 and not DVB-T2 you speak of? If this is the case then a number of 'old' LCD/Plasma's with this tuner will work! I think we need more info on this before we jump the gun!

ÿEditor can you help clear this up?

Sure. It's DVB-T2, using MPEG4 video, rather than the less efficient MPEG2 coding used by existing digital terrestrial broadcasting. ÿ

A

Anonymous

I think Sky HD is great value for money, i know its only my opinion but let me say this weekend I have the Le Man 24 hrs to look forward to most of it in HD every week of the football season top class soccer from the best league in the world, The Ashes and a lot of other Motorsport. Movies now I know not the most up to date but least always one worth seeing. And also fantastic nature channels all in HD. Whats the cost £1.80 a day, think about it when you go to the pub for a mediocre meal and a few pints £60 for the two of you and only out about 3 hours tops. Sky £54 for 30 days. NO CONTEST

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Agreed, hilly10 - the HD coverage of the night qualifying at Le Mans was excellent last night, even if I still struggle to get my head around the fastest thing on the track being a Peugeot diesel...

Le-mans-preview-hdr.jpg

A

Anonymous

Its not the same as being there but it will be great to have so much blanket coverage and you are right Andrew Quali was great last night. I have been most years since the 90s. I was going Thursday morning work commitments seen that off.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Went to Le Mans every year for a few years - fantastic time. A few friends went last year and said it had completely changed - fancy restaurants, all fancy paving behind the main straight seating and packed with families and the like. Is nothing sacred?!

So this year we're all bundling round my friends' to watch it in HD - he's also promised spicy sausages served in the driest of dry bread and warm, tiny french bottles of lager for that "authentic" experience!

A

Anonymous

Hems, it looks unlikely. The final technical specifications for Freeview HD were only confirmed very recently.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for this Andy, I'm sure there would be a few confused people out there!!! I know a lot of people I've spoken to, talk about it as being MPEG2 video and I knew they're incorrect (cant swear on here!). As I understand it, it won't be until 2014 before it's blanketted across the UK and once all the 'Monopoly Money' has been passed!

A number of manufacturers won't put this into their sets just yet, until their satisfied there's enough programmes/area coverage for them to sell and besides they're more focused on 'FreesatHD' at the mo. Don't forget you need a recorder/PVR as the LCD/Plasma's won't record!

I'm waiting to hear if Sony will be bring their W5500/5710 onto the next level with FreesatHD or a recorder of some sort! Even though it could be silly money!

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
most tv's had mpeg2 tuners.this year most have also mpeg4.here in portugal the norm is mpeg4.wich is better than mpeg2.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
To be perfectly frank, what is wrong with standard freeview. Looks good on my telly. What would I gain by having something better? Not much, if anything at all.

Maybe I'll upgrade in 10 years' time, do I really want to see Phil Mitchell's pock-marks? Nope.

ÿ

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts