All the gear and no idea..Help!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've just received my Denon 2310 and Kef 3005SE speaker package after lots of advice here so firstly thanks for that
emotion-21.gif

I need a bit of help with setting the receiver up properly if anyone could advise please. I've hooked up my speakers 2 front, 2 rears, a centre and a sub. I have hooked up Sky HD into HDMI port 1 and also linked up an optical cable for sound. My PS3 is linked via the second HDMI port labelled "HDP" There is also a final HDMI from the "monitor out" port into the TV. I have run the Audyssey auto speaker setup. So far so good I think. Anyway here are a few things still puzzling me:

1) When the amp is off why doesn't the Sky sound play through the TV as default? Do I have to always run the amp just to watch sky?

2) My SD channel picture seems to be worse than before. I'm guessing I need to utilise the Denons upscaling facility but I cant find it!

3) I've just found a sky HD programme that is supposed to be broadcasting in Dolby Digital . My sky is set to output Dolby Digital also. Only my front left and right channels are working (also highlighted on the amp) why am I not getting the full Dolby Digital surround here?

4) My PS3 sound quality is considerably worse than with my old Cambridge Audio Azur 540RV2 receiver. I have the original PS3 so what settings would be best for gaming? Also I'd like to have the correct settings for HD sound from Blu Rays via LPCM or whatever it's called. At present not having a clue I just ticked the whole list of outputs which may be why my sound is a bit poor
emotion-7.gif

5) And finally, for now anyway, I've read that Audyssey and Multi EQ is propabaly better switched off so how do I do that?

Apologies for the long post and what may seem to some silly questions but these HDMI amps are a whole new thing to me.

I seem to have wasted a few quid with my cables so heres a warning to any other newbies considering this equipment. I spent £40 on a 1m QED Silver Anniversary XT biwire cable with airloc plugs for the center and there are no banana plug connectors on the Kefs
emotion-45.gif
I also bought 2 lengths of Chord Carnival Silver Screen with bananas!! Even if I had chopped off the banana plugs the damn cable is too fat to run through my Kef stands so they are also useless!
emotion-43.gif

Cheers in advance for any help
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Daveee:

1) When the amp is off why doesn't the Sky sound play through the TV as default? Do I have to always run the amp just to watch sky?

Sorted that one. Manual settings: "TV for sound" Stupid me!
emotion-40.gif

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
2, 3 and 4, not having either a ps3 or Sky Digital -cannot help.

For the Audessey - to turn it off (this works on my 1909), there's a button on the front under the display to the right labelled "MULTEQ". Press that to the red and green lights go off (it may be different on your amp). You'll have to do this in each mode, i.e. you turn it off in "TV mode", but will need to repeat when you watch a DVD or listen to an iPod. (Only need to do it once, it will remember the setting.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Daveee:3) I've just found a sky HD programme that is supposed to be broadcasting in Dolby Digital . My sky is set to output Dolby Digital also. Only my front left and right channels are working (also highlighted on the amp) why am I not getting the full Dolby Digital surround here?

Did you set it to "DOLBY D" under Optical Output in the sound settings menu?

Daveee:4) My PS3 sound quality is considerably worse than with my old Cambridge Audio Azur 540RV2 receiver. I have the original PS3 so what settings would be best for gaming? Also I'd like to have the correct settings for HD sound from Blu Rays via LPCM or whatever it's called. At present not having a clue I just ticked the whole list of outputs which may be why my sound is a bit poor
emotion-7.gif

Is it the old PS3? If it is, set it as follows:

Select Sound Settings
Select HDMI
Select AUTO
Tick all DD, DTS and all PCM boxes up to 7.1
Save the settings
Go to the BD/DVD settings
Select audio output format as PCM and save the settings.

If it's the new PS3, I'm pretty sure it's the same except change the last setting to Bitstream under BD/DVD

Another tip I would have, is to download Batpig's guide to Denon receivers, which you should find easily enough via Google. It's easy to understand and more user friendly than the manual.

Devlin1980

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Daveee:
3) I've just found a sky HD programme that is supposed to be broadcasting in Dolby Digital . My sky is set to output Dolby Digital also. Only my front left and right channels are working (also highlighted on the amp) why am I not getting the full Dolby Digital surround here?

Hi,

Make sure your amp is set to take the optical input from Sky as sky only sends stereo via the HDMI cable (which i assume the amp defaults too unless changed).

Cheers

A

Anonymous

What a fantastically useful site. Anyone know of a similar site for Onkyo receivers/kit?

TRENDING THREADS