Alfa Romeo thread - back from the dead!

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Friesiansam

Annual car tax is based solely on CO2 emissions, based on the hopelessly inadequate official economy testing, that bears no relation to reality in everyday driving. Clean Air Zone compliance is based solely on emissions regulation compliance, regardless of fuel consumption. Both are very poor systems.

daveh75

Have just seen that won't apply until the car is 40y/o - I thought it was 25. Forum rules prevent me from saying what I think...

Used to be, but was obolished by the incoming Govt in '97.

Only know this because my K plated Mini Pickup just scraped through in time to become exempt (pre '72 cars remained exempt after the 25 year rule was abolished,)

Friesiansam

If I had the money and storage I'd snap this Alfa up. It's super mileage from a collection.

I think I could put up with driving that, would need an early Sunday morning run up onto Exmoor now and then. I live just a few miles east of Exmoor.

I think I could put up with driving that, would need an early Sunday morning run up onto Exmoor now and then. I live just a few miles east of Exmoor.
The only thing I would add to that car is a Quaife limited slip diff. They ain't cheap, prices, depending where you purchase them, between £700 & £1200 typically. That's just for the parts, the time you add in labour costs it's mega bucks. It's essential to have them as the chassis on these FWD Alfas are a bit wobbly. The Quaife is a fav of the Alfastis.

I was lucky with my GT 3.2 as it was a pretty rare Q2 version with a LSD fitted at the factory.

Reactions: Friesiansam
The only thing I would add to that car is a Quaife limited slip diff. They ain't cheap, prices, depending where you purchase them, between £700 & £1200 typically. That's just for the parts, the time you add in labour costs it's mega bucks. It's essential to have them as the chassis on these FWD Alfas are a bit wobbly. The Quaife is a fav of the Alfastis.

I was lucky with my GT 3.2 as it was a pretty rare Q2 version with a LSD fitted at the factory.
That's what I like about my 2.0 version. It's a better power to weight ratio and it handles beautifully without any suspension or diff upgrades. The 3.2 engine, although it's very good, is too heavy and powerful that kills the cornering and braking. Owners of 3.2 tend to upgrade the the front brake discs and pads to Brembo 330mm as well as the front diff.

Just about car-related - when we went on holiday last, I put the spare roofbox key somewhere safe. So safe I've still no idea where it is. So, we ordered spare keys from Halfords (it's one of their Exodus range). The keys came from Thule, which Halfords also sells, strongly suggesting that Thule makes them for Halfords. If this is true, worth noting that Halfords own brands for the bigger capacities start at £350 or so. Thule start at £600...

Reactions: WayneKerr
Just about car-related - when we went on holiday last, I put the spare roofbox key somewhere safe. So safe I've still no idea where it is. So, we ordered spare keys from Halfords (it's one of their Exodus range). The keys came from Thule, which Halfords also sells, strongly suggesting that Thule makes them for Halfords. If this is true, worth noting that Halfords own brands for the bigger capacities start at £350 or so. Thule start at £600...
Holy moley, it'll be cheaper to buy a new roof box. That's nuts for the price of spare keys.

The in-car cassette would have turned 55 this year, had it not died the death years ago - a small piece in Autocar this week. Philips licenced it for free, which the article reckons went a long way to making it such a rapid success. The first units cost £40 - an eye-watering £580 when adjusted for inflation...

daveh75

The in-car cassette would have turned 55 this year, had it not died the death years ago - a small piece in Autocar this week. Philips licenced it for free, which the article reckons went a long way to making it such a rapid success. The first units cost £40 - an eye-watering £580 when adjusted for inflation...

The cassette tape turned 60 itself last month!

You would've thought WHF might have published something on it...but they were probably to busy posting clickbait to notice 🙄

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts