ALAC & M4a, same thing?

Twill

Oct 6, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I have a quick file format question.

Having recently entered the iRealm, I was thinking about converting my FLAC library to ALAC so that it will play nicely with my Apple-side.

As far as I am aware, the file type for apple lossless is .ALAC. But I just did a trial conversion of 1 FLAC file to ALAC, and it shows up on my QNAP QMobile app as an M4a file. What's the difference between M4a and ALAC? Is ALAC a varient of M4a, or is my QMobile app getting confused?

I only ask because I'm looking for a streamer to stream from my NAS, like the Marantz MCR603 or Denon Ceol, and I'm trying to ensure file compatibility as far as possible.

Some devices list M4a as a compatible file format for network streaming, but I'm struggling to find one that lists ALAC.

Cheers. Again. One day I'll stop posting questions and start posting answers!

Twill

Oct 6, 2007
Visit site
Slightly answered my own question with A quick Google.

M4a is a container format that carries both AAC and ALAC variations.

What's still not clear is whether a streaming unit claiming M4a format compatibility can play both the compressed & uncompressed variation, or just AAC.

Anyone know if the MCR603, for example, plays ALAC specifically?

I've asked Marantz and they just pointed me at the manual, which says M4a.

A

Anonymous

ALAC is a codec, which, as you say, must be wrapped up in a container, ie m4a. If a streamer or DAC supports m4a, the file will play as long as your DAC supports the sampling frequency and bit depth, ie 24 bit 96 khz etc etc. I can't find a Windows based converter that will change a high bit rate FLAC into an ALAC. iTunes of course will not play FLACS, and never will. FLACs are a thorn in Apple's side. I have found a converter though that will convert high bit rate FLACs to AIFF files which iTunes supports. Will only convert to a maximum 96 khz sampling rate though, so a 192 khz file will be halved in size. I'm not sure that any human ear will ever be able to hear a difference mind. The program is called 'AIFF MP3 Converter' and costs about £15.

Pete

TRENDING THREADS