Airport Express woes!

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
It's becoming a bit of a theme with this product! Used to have problems with the 1st generation, so binned it and bought a second generation.

Whenever you change something in the network or add something, the AEX seems to have a meltdown!
I've recently had a BT HHub 4 delivered. Everything connected to it and managed to get the AEX to connect to it but now having the dreaded 'drop outs' when playing music.

I've tried everything - going back firmware version (7.6.3 & 2), resetting, and now tried setting up two networks on my BTHH at 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and using the latter for the AEX to use in an effort to minimise any interference.

Nothing works! Music will stream to my AVIs for a few minutes - 15 at most - then it will drop out - usually with the amber light coming on, but not always. It is driving me insane!

Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm now looking to fork out some cash and just get a SONO Connect. Would this do the job an AEX is supposed to do but without the fundamental flaw of cutting out at random times!!!? I have 2 x play 3 and a play 1 and they work pretty much without fault. Now the SONOS app allows access to my phone's content, and I can stream from Soundcloud and my NAS, I'm not sure the AEX is offering anything extra? Is the Connect able to stream music to the AVIs internal DAC in bit perfect quality? I have lossless files on my NAS that I like to listen to, plus I may join TIDAL in the future (I know this isn't currently available via the SONOS app).

I have an AppleTV which I could use, but I've heard that it does some internal down-sampling before sending out the signal? Is that right?

A very frustrated Apple advocate :(

Cheers WHF faithful!
PJ

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
maybe try changing the channel of the wifi, see if that makes any difference. Quickish guide here http://www.maketecheasier.com/find-best-wifi-channel/

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
Cheers Cheeseboy

I've updated the 5GHz that the AEX is connected to, to channel 136 (which is the highest channel and one not used by anyone else within the network area).

Unfortunately, it still drops.

So now it has sole use of the 5GHz band and that is broadcast on a channel no-one else uses. There is no micorwaves in the house, the home phone is disconnected (and makes no difference). Whilst the AEX is connected to the same extender as the powerline adapter, that has always been there when it used to work.

The thing is totally frustrating. Any other possible options?

As I say, I have an Apple TV that I could use instead, but there is no guarantee that would work any better!?

Frustrating times!

TRENDING THREADS