admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Apple Airplay or Win7 using DLNA? I'd like to build a small multi-room system and don't want to go the full hog to Sonos. I'd like to archive all my CD's to FLAC and get the best quality sound

There are lots of UPnP/DLNA media rendering devices out there. So, does anyone know what the real advantage of Airplay will be? (other than the fact that it can play direct from an Apple OS device)

I prefer my devices to be generic and open, rather than locked down. As far as I can make out, the Apple Airplay will not be compatible with any other standard, so will not work with Win7, winamp etc? Have I got that right?

Oh, and I don't think Airplay supports FLAC either.

Paul.

sounds like youve made your desicion already

You can use airplay with a windows machine, but not with nas, not with flac and its not really very open. Its great though if it fits you!

John Duncan

I've said it before: choose what devices you want to play your music through, and then work out how they talk to each other and what format to rip to. No point ripping to FLAC if you like the idea of an Apple TV, and DLNA compliance won't help you with a Squeeezebox...

iMark

As a rule of thumb I also like my devices to be generic and open. But even more important for me is the fact that I want my devices to work and play nice together. There may be a lot wrong with Apple devices but you can't say that they don't work. My partner is not into tech but she can use Apple devices. She uses the iPad to stream to the stereo and to control our iTunes collection. User friendliness could be a consideration too.

TRENDING THREADS