Aego T subwoofer hum, new guy needs help!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys,

This is my first post and i'm quite new to this so be gentle lol.

I have just got this Sub today and it has a low hum to it when all is quiet which gets louder if i turn the volume up on the sub, Which is quite anoying as the level i need the sub at is where it starts getting quite noticeable.

Now i have read up on ground loop problems etc but am stumped as my old sony sub never did this??

When the rca is removed from the sub it is quiet! i have tried it in different plug sockets and also with a spare shorter sub cable as it is running of a 6mtr cable at present. But nothing! it still does it!

Do you think one of these QED or chord chrimson cables will eliminate this? AS i've heard they are only earthed one end of the cable.

If so could one of you kind people please post a link as to what one you would think i would need.

sorry to have brought this topic up again as i think it has been done to death..jjj

A

Anonymous

This is normal with some subwoofers.

I have a RSW12 and it was quite loud for the first week or so, and I tried thatcable and a handmade audioquest from a installer and it still did it.

I now have found its almost non existant, just wait a week or 2 and see what happens, I dont think it would be the cable, but if you have a really cheap 99p cable then yes I would upgrade, but dont expect this to help.

It do do with the copper coil I belive, or something like that

A

Anonymous

Is your TV aerial connected in the same 'chain' of components as your subwoofer? e.g. into a skybox which goes into an AV amp to which your sub is also connected?

A

Anonymous

Thanks Canada16,

Had a feeling it maybe normal but just very annoying as my old sony it replaced never did it.I have tried unplugging everything but still does it,well until you unplug the cable then it is fine..

A

Anonymous

shreddy:Is your TV aerial connected in the same 'chain' of components as your subwoofer? e.g. into a skybox which goes into an AV amp to which your sub is also connected?

Hi Shreddy,

No i do not have an aerial i only have virgin media, for my tv we removed the aerial. I have tried removing the coax cable from the v+box but nothing..

A

Anonymous

Ah well I'm out of ideas.

The only suggestion I can offer is as to why it occurs. I cured mine because my components were earthed (in the chain) in more than one place - namely the TV aerial from the wall.

As soon as I removed it, the hum disappeared completely. I don't need it for freeview as I just have Sky HD on all the time.

This may still suggest why it occurs, so you could try unplugging elements elsewhere in the chain to track down the 'culprit' perhaps OR accept that the sub is just gonna do this all the time!

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
canada16:
This is normal with some subwoofers.

I disagree with that comment. If you hear a hum (which is due to a ground loop) you have a problem with the setup of your system.

A

Anonymous

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies, I have contacted the Manufacturer and they will contact me tomorrow,Hopefully! although i'm not hoping for much.

right what i have found today is, If you unplug the cable from either end the noise stops, but if you power off the AMP and put it in stanby, it still humms???

Any ideas on that?

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Recommend that you unplug all your source components from the amp and then plug them back in, one at a time, to try and identify which one is causing the problem.

Incidentally, I have the Aego M 2.1 and there's no hum.

A

Anonymous

Hi PJPRO,

That will be my next move thanks, I feel the amp must be amitting some kind of power to the sub cable even when on stanby. I just don't know.

I'm on night shifts at the moment so cannot dabble until tomorrow, I would say it's definately not the power as it stops when unplugged, So it's got to be the lead or amp earthing issues, Just strange how my old sub was fine??

I cannot take it back to the shop mate as it was an online purchase, I must say though that the sub looks stunning with twin drivers and piano black sides, So well built, Well apart from the amp in it
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

Ok Guys,

I think i have sourced this to a ground loop problem after all,

My amp and virgin box have no earth both are plastic and the same goes for my old subwoofer that too has a plastic earth on the plug.

i unplugged everything apart from the amp and it stopped! then plugged in the virgin box and still ok(both plastic earth)

As soon as i plug any other device in with an earth it starts!!

This Subwoofer has an earth(metal plug) so must be competing for the earth some how.

Now any ideas how to solve this one ?? lol

A

Anonymous

Hi,

If you plug any other thing in then it does it, (anything with a metal plug earth)

The v+box has a plastic plug earth and is the only piece of equipment you can plug in with out it happening

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
So, if you completely disconnect the virgin box from the AV amp, telly, etc and then plug in another source, you get hum?

A

Anonymous

Hi mate,

Yes that's right. If i pull the hdmi lead and optical lead out and the power it still does it until i remove all the other devices/plugs out of the wall socket.

A

Anonymous

Like I said I had the same issue, and I even emailed MA and this is what they said.

Unfortunately,
some RSW12's do seem to hum. This is due to the torroidal transformer that is
used and is an inherent property of all transformers of this type. You could
try a mains filter, but if that doesn't work, there is nothing else we can offer
I'm afraid.

I did not bother un-hooking everything as I knew it was the subwoofer, as the only thing that was connected to it would be the lead and power cable.

Not sure how unhooking hdmi cables and stuff would help if its a powered woofer.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
canada16:
Like I said I had the same issue, and I even emailed MA and this is what they said.

Unfortunately,
some RSW12's do seem to hum. This is due to the torroidal transformer that is
used and is an inherent property of all transformers of this type. You could
try a mains filter, but if that doesn't work, there is nothing else we can offer
I'm afraid.

I did not bother un-hooking everything as I knew it was the subwoofer, as the only thing that was connected to it would be the lead and power cable.

Not sure how unhooking hdmi cables and stuff would help if its a powered woofer.

Have a read of my post relating to the disconnecting network here.

It seems that these cable tv boxes can cause ground loops because the virgin cable (not the virgin box mains plug) can be earthed elsewhere in the house. The best way to avoid ground loops is to have all the connected devices plugged into the same wall socket....mimicking a star ground. However, if the virgin cable is earthed somewhere else in the house, then the ground loop has an opportunity to form.....and the bigger the loop, the louder the hum.

Take a look here.

The only way to fix this is to break the loop, minimise the size of the loop or resist the current travelling around the loop. The product which I linked to earlier claimed to break/resist the loop by its insertion into the virgin cable.

A

Anonymous

Uhmm did not know that, thanks for the links.

Would not apply to me I guess, as My subwoofer is accross the room away from the Sky HD box

A

Anonymous

Hi Chappies,

I've had another play with this all wkd and found the following, I unplugged everything from the wall socket(yes some things like the tv power makes the hum a bit louder but even still with it all disconnected i turned the AMP volume right up and BOOM there it was still!! got louder with the volume.. And even this morning i came down stairs to find it humming away even with the amp on stanbye????

Now when you unplug the the rca lead from the amp there is nothing but silence, so to me this is now pointing the finger towards the subwoofer cable or bad earth on the amp itself,

what do you think?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts