AE green light, laptop now refuses to connect to wifi!!!

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

Just plugged airport express into wall socket, popped setup disc into laptop, airport utility now installed.

It took a while and reset AE a couple of times but eventually it gave me setup options to follow, I told it to extend my home network, connect wirelessly to my home network, entered my wep 128 security and got a stable green light. Although now my wifes windows 7 laptop shows a yellow explosion indicator over the wireless signal, I run mouse over and click, it shows home network so I connect, IT WILL NOT CONNECT, it goes through problem solving but resolves nothing. I unplugged AE but lapto still refuses to connect although my iPhone still connects to home network!!

Any ideas??

John Duncan

You've been slightly ambiguous about what you've done with it.

You don't want to extend your home network, you want to join existing:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1731

What you say above suggests you've done both so am slightly confused.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Just make sure you haven't inadvertantly switched off the wifi on the laptop.

It could be a slider along the bottom edge somewhere, or maybe an "Fn" key and a function key (F2?)

If not, switch your router off and on :)

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

Definately not the wireless switch, but yes you're right in "fn" F2 key but the wife has now connected to the virgin media modem/router rather than the Netgear router as we would normally do.

Thanks tho,

John il click the link and have a read, once in from work at 22:30 I will uninstall and reset AE and start afresh which should allow laptop to connect to the Netgear router.

Hopefully.

Thanks

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
When I do the setup again do I plug the AE into wall plug socket and that's it or on setup does it also have to be connected via Ethernet to my router??

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Why do you have two routers?
When we had the old virgin modem it went wrong so they supplied a new modem which is also a router, my Netgear "N" rated router plugged into old modem so I could achieve wireless. Shall I bin it now and just use the virgin one?

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
John Duncan said:
You've been slightly ambiguous about what you've done with it.

You don't want to extend your home network, you want to join existing:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1731

What you say above suggests you've done both so am slightly confused.

Think John has hit the nail on the head,join existing network not extend it,think the AE will only extend a network if you are using an Apple router.

John Duncan

Not true, an AE can extend any network I think and act as a repeater. But to get it to play music it has to join existing I think.

I have found it useful setting it up via Ethernet in the past, though I think firmware changes have made wireless setup more robust.

Will come back to questions on using one router later, but that would be the ideal I think cos I can't think of what purpose the second one would serve.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Not true, an AE can extend any network I think and act as a repeater. But to get it to play music it has to join existing I think. I have found it useful setting it up via Ethernet in the past, though I think firmware changes have made wireless setup more robust. Will come back to questions on using one router later, but that would be the ideal I think cos I can't think of what purpose the second one would serve.
I will ditch the Netgear and try just the virginmedia modem/router with the instructions in the link. Thanks for you're help and il report back if I get any more issues.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts