Connect Airport Express to HiFi

Mark Webb

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I want to connect AE to my HiFi from a Mac and iPad but my Audiolab amp does not have an AUX socket. Should I be able to play through CD or Tape input? So far its not working.

My AE is new and havent had it operating yet. I have a green light on the AE so I assume its picking up, and Home Sharing enabled on the Mac.

Where can I see if music is going out from iTunes the Mac?

Do I need to create a new network for this? I am assuming that as there is a green light the AE detects my Mac?

ela-ted

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Assuming you're running a 3.5mm jack from the AE to 2 x RCA plugs, it should work in any of the line level inputs - try cd or tape in.

I think you have to configure the AE first using Airport Utility (aasuming you're using it wirelessly).

The AE will show up as Airplay in iTunes and you'll need to select it - blue arrow and box on the top bar.

Mark Webb

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. I have been trying with a single plug to the amp. I guess I need the twin, but would it not pick a signal up from the single plug into one of the cd inputs?

I have configured AE with Airport Utility. I think the green light on AE would confirm its connecting with Mac?

Where will Airplay show in iTunes? I have Home Sharing enabled.

John Duncan

It's by the volume control off the top of my head - you should be able to drop it down and select the device you want to beam to when there is a recognised device on the network:

itunes11airplaymultiplecontrol1.jpg

You can select either the Mac or the AEX or both to be playing. Home sharing has no effect on this IIRC.

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Mark Webb said:
Thank you John. I dont have that icon on my iTunes?. I am on V 11.1.2.
Well I have a Sept 2010 imac running the latest iTunes which is 11.1.5 and it shows excactly as John has pictured.

Try Updating your version of iTunes as it should show up.

John Duncan

Mark Webb said:
Thank you John. I dont have that icon on my iTunes?. I am on V 11.1.2.

You should certainly have it with that version of iTunes and a correctly configured AEX (it does not appear if iTunes can't see one). I would suggest that you run the configuration again from scratch, making sure that you set it up as a new AEX and join existing network (though I have a feeling that in more recent versions of Airport Utility the option is join/extend, where before they were separate).

I have found that a green light on an AEX can be...misleading.

Mark Webb

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Thank you very much John. I have tried reconfiguring but cant get a green light now. I think it should setup wirelessly? I updated my iTunes before resetting but still didnt get the share icon.

I am beginning to think that life is too short to configure AE. I must have spent nearly a whole day on this in a few sessions. This will have to go on ebay very soon!

When I go through setup on the Mac it creates a new network. In doing so, my Mac then disconnects from the Internet, but I still have amber light on the AE.

If I try with iPad through AE Utilities, it does not detect.

Is it possible the AE unit is faulty?

John Duncan

It's possible, but I'd persevere for a while yet. For starters, you most certainly don't want to set up a new network, you have to have it join the existing one, otherwise you'll have to flip between the two on your Mac to get internet or music. Secondly, whilst it can be set up wirelessly, you may find it easier to configure wired into your router, and then unplug and check it's still going, and move it to the desired location. Good luck...

Mark Webb

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Eureka moment! :bounce: :dance: :rofl: That clinched it for me, everything else I have read tells me to set up a NEW network. I must have spent 6-8 hours on this. Tell me, I have a large iTunes libray on my Mac, would I be able to access that with my iPad without transferring it all to the iPad? And if I am playing Radio Player from my iPad would I be able to pick that up on my Mac?

You have made my grey Monday sunny!

Thank you so much John.

John Duncan

No worries, wrestling with an Airport Express is one of those rites of passage which is almost mandatory on the forum.

Controlling your iTunes library from your iPad should just be a case of downloading the 'Remote' app from the app store. I don't know iTunes Radio at all so not sure what you're trying to achieve? I haven't got my iPad to hand or I'd just have a play...

EDIT - on re-reading, do you mean that you want to play your iTunes library actually on your iPad, or are you just talking about controlling it to play through the hifi?

John Duncan

OK, in which case the free Remote app is what you need for controlling iTunes. You can see all music and playlists etc and can select in the app where the Mac is Airplaying to (as distinct from having the music on the iPad and Airplaying from it to the AEX).

As for Spotify or a Radio Player (I can highly recommend TuneIn Pro), you can access those directly on your iPad and Airplay from it to the AEX attached to the stereo. That should give you a flexible solution.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts