Advice Required Please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just about to purchase a new Hi Fi system, the old one went to the ex wife.

Although I have not listened to anything yet, I am interested in the Mordaunt Short Mezzo6 speakers and I would like to know which would suit these speakers, out of, Marantz PM6003 & CD6003 or NAD326BEE & C545BEE.

My choice is based on budget and What Hi Fi reviews, I had also considered the Aviano 6 and Kef IQ5SE speakers, to go with either of the above amp & CD combinations.

I note that the Marantz do beat the Nad in the reviews, so I am leaning towards them.

I would appreciate any advice on the best match for these combinations.

Many thanks

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Both are good systems and theyll both work together as a NAD/Marantz set-up and vice versa (NAD amp/Marantz CDP would be my choice)

The speakers are good as well but the likes of the Q Acoustic 2050's, Acoustic Energy AE Neo3's and the Monitor Audio BR5's shouldnt be ruled out!

It'd be handy to know what your overall budget is and also what kind of music you generally listen to?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply.

I was looking at spending arround £1500, so this would have to include cables. I will be buying a turntable at a later date.

The music that I listen to is wide and varied, From Jimi Hendrix, The Eagles, Linkin Park, Oasis through to RnB, Alicia Keys and a bit of big band.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
For that budget you can do better IMO

The likes of the Creek Evo II, Rotel RA1520, Rotel RA06SE, NAD C355BEE and the Audiolab 8000S amps should be considered

CDP wise the Audioab 8000CD, Rega Apollo, Creek Evo II CDP, Arcam FMJ CD17 and the Marantz SA7003 CDP's should be looked at

As for speakers; I think the likes of the Monitor Audio RX2's, B&W 685's and the QUAD 22L2's should be demo'd along with the afore mentioned speakers above

Would you look at 2nd hand seperates? Something along the likes of the Arcam DiVA A85 integrated amp and the Arcam DiVA CD192 or a 2nd hand/new Rega Apollo would make for a superb system along with the likes of the Monitor Audio RX2's, RX6's or the QUAD 22L2 speakers.

The B&W 684s should be demo'd as well
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Once again, thanks for the advice.

I will certainly look at these,plenty of work for me to do.

I must admit, I would not look at second hand, mainly because I want to treat myself to something new, after coming out of a marriage with next to nothing.

I have already looked up the Rega Apollo, after seeing your new purchase and seems like an excellent CD player.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
You deffo need to get some demo's booked and with a few different audio shops if you can

They will all sell different equipment so there will be plenty to choose from
emotion-5.gif

mickeycomms

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I was recently looking around the same price - considering Nad / Marantz / Arcam solo...After much deliberating bought the Teac reference 600 (cd / am fm dab & wi fi internet radio / 75 wpc ) it also has a phono stage. Added the optional ipod dock, Dali suite 2.8 floorstanders which it drives no problem. Chord rumour speaker cable and changed the standard interconnect to a Merlin Bach......total cost £1324...and I am very pleased with the result. (Though I am wary of mentioning 'reference' in such esteemed company, it does get a good write up!)

northernsoul

May 7, 2010
Visit site
With that sort of budget I would look an an active setup, worth investigating imo.

You could look at the offerings from ADM, Dynaudio and Quad although with the later 2 you might want to look at adding a preamp with a remote volume control, something along these lines would be my advice:

http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=4632&customer_id=PAA1811068610091HNCPRGBHELTOLNEN

http://www.russandrews.com/product....&customer_id=PAA1811068610091HNCPRGBHELTOLNENhttp://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR305171

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR305171and then just get yourself a suitable source and some sturdy stands for the speakers.

northernsoul

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't even think you reviewed the Quad actives did you?

I think they maybe referring to your original review of the 11l's which if I remember won an award many years ago...

northernsoul

May 7, 2010
Visit site
You could always buy a pair and then sell them like you did the AVi's.

After extensive research I really do believe that the active route has many advantages over the passive route and that when considering a new purchase an audition should be sought.

A

Anonymous

Andrew,

Whilst yourself and northensoul have been having a discussion, I have been looking at the reviews of the magazine and the reviews of people who have bought the following speakers. B&W684's and Mordaunt Short Mezzo6. As well as other speakers that have been mentioned.

The two above speakers appear to be very good, and what I would like to know is, which do you think would be a good match with the above speakers. The Nad C326BEE & Nad C545BEE, or the Marantz PM6003 & CD6003, bearing in mind that the Marantz gets 5 stars, plus someone has the 6003 range plus the Mezzo6 and is highly impressed.

Whilst I know that it ultimatly comes down to personal choice on the sound, I would greatly appreciate your expert advice as to which way to go, as in the compatability of the above proposed systems and possibly which would be your choice from the above.

Many thanks

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Can I ask why youre set on the NAD/Marantz gear?

Is that all thats available to you locally?

It's good gear dont get me wrong but for your budget you can do a lot better!

northernsoul

May 7, 2010
Visit site
massari:
Andrew,

Whilst yourself and northensoul have been having a discussion, I have been looking at the reviews of the magazine and the reviews of people who have bought the following speakers. B&W684's and Mordaunt Short Mezzo6. As well as other speakers that have been mentioned.

The two above speakers appear to be very good, and what I would like to know is, which do you think would be a good match with the above speakers. The Nad C326BEE & Nad C545BEE, or the Marantz PM6003 & CD6003, bearing in mind that the Marantz gets 5 stars, plus someone has the 6003 range plus the Mezzo6 and is highly impressed.

Whilst I know that it ultimatly comes down to personal choice on the sound, I would greatly appreciate your expert advice as to which way to go, as in the compatability of the above proposed systems and possibly which would be your choice from the above.

Many thanks

Well why don't you go to a dealer and try all mentioned combinations and let your ears tell you which is best, make sense imo!

T

the record spot

To respond to the original query, I'd be looking at something higher up the scale the amp/CDPs mentioned. I think the speakers would be capable of better - depends on the budget of course - as the NAD/Marantz stuff is good, yes, but I'd either drop the speaker budget to something lower (why those speakers incidentally?) and up the source/amp money pot, or consider going down the Active speaker route.

A

Anonymous

Hi, sorry for taking so long to reply, a busy weekend. I have to say, yes, why was I so adamant on those paticular items?. I think I was going to much off the star rating in what hi fi, for my budget.

So I have organised a demo in a small Hi Fi shop in Chesterfield, where I live, to listen to theArcam A18 amp and the Arcam CD17, with B&W 684 speakers. This was a recomendation of the shop owner, even though he does do NAD. But he has not got many different things.

I have decided to possibly go up to £2000 or just above for amp, cd player and speakers. I will go for a turntable at a later date.

I am from Leicester and still work there, so today I have been to Richer Sounds!!!!, and have set up to demo, the Cambridge Azur 840A V2, with Mordaunt Short Aviano 6 speakers and Mezzo 6 speakers, with Cambridge Azur 840C, cd player.

There are 2 more hi fi shops in Leicester that I need to visit, to see what they have on offer.

So yes I need to be a bit more open, and get out there and listen.

Just so as you know, I like to have plenty of bass, without it being over powering, but at the same time I like it to be bright, I really need to hear all the symballs etc. So whilst I dont want a tin sound I dont want an overly warm deep bass sound.

I hope you understand that and thank you for your patience and understanding and help.

T

the record spot

You've got some choices there - with that kind of budget, you can start to consider how you want to put it all together. You could consider active speakers, so, £800 will get you the very musical Genelec 8030, a compact monitor with a huge sound - it has XLR balanced inputs and that would work well with your 840C if you went with that as it also has the same connections.

You'd need a pre-amp, unless the CDP has a volume control built in, as the speakers only have a very limited (IIRC) option here.

Genelec 8030, or Acoustic Energy AE22 Active (also around the £850 mark), AVI ADM9.1 (£1100) and so on. There's a ton of good examples out there any many not quite so expensive. I've had a traditional set-up for years, more than I care to recall so early on a Monday morning, but if I were buying new now, with that budget, I'd be looking at which active speakers I could have for the money.

I'm a tradionalist at heart though, so would still want to add a CDP, however you've got all of the options of playing music through your computer and out through your speakers as well now and that's worth considering. High quality music replay really needn't cost you as much as you're currently budgeting, but you do have some great options with what you are setting aside for your kit.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your replys and advice, I have to admit that I dont know or understand about active speakers.

I have to admit that a lot of suggestions that have been made to me, that the 3 shops in Leicester and the one in Chesterfield dont have these items.

So it might prove difficult to find shops near to my two locations to find certain makes and here them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts