Advice required on Wharfdale Sub

rob78

Dec 31, 2021
Visit site
Hi All
I currently have a Wharfedale DX-1 SE Home Cinema Package, which I am happy with and have been using for the last 5 years. Unfortunately, the WH-D8 Subwoofer that came with this package has now given up on me and I need to find a replacement.

I have seen that a number of retailers are selling the Wharfedale SW-150, for £150 which seems to be a good deal, however I note that the crossover frequency range on the SW-150 appears to be 35Hz-85Hz in comparison to my WH-D8 which has a cross over range of 40Hz-150Hz.

According to the specs for my current package the satellite speakers have a frequency response that starts at 120Hz while the centre speaker starts at 80Hz.

The reviews for the SW-150 seem favourable, however I am concerned that the reduced crossover range of this unit may leave a hole in the base as there only seems to be a 5Hz overlap with my current centre speaker and a 35Hz gap with the satellites. Any advice on this unit would be appreciated. Should I bite the bullet and choose an alternative unit with a larger cross over range?

rob78

Dec 31, 2021
Visit site
Depends on a number of factors really. What is your budget? How large is the listening room? Do you listen cinema loud or looking for something more subtle?
Hi. My budget is around £250-£300 and my room size is 4m x 5m. I dont tend to listen to movies overloud but do use for music as well.

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
That's a decent sized room. You might struggle to get meaningful bass in such a room for that kind of budget. I'd try and up your budget a little and look at something from BK Electronics. Probably the P12-300SB-SR would be a good shout.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts