Advice Please - Speaker or Amp Upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, any advice on a system upgrade would be great.

Im currently running, B&W 601 S1 speakers with a Pioneer RMX9 CDJ all in one system. Also occasionally using an old Sony Mini HiFi system (MHC-RG270) for a bit of extra volume, bass or a bit of (like) surround sound when needed.

I was thinking of getting a powered subwoofer so I could reduce the required bass output of the various speakers so they are able to focus on mid's etc. Either that or looking to buy an upgraded amp or speakers. But i would still like to keep the function of the Pioneer set. So;

a) Would i loose any conciderable quality running a second amp (and the B&W speakers from said amp), from the phono output on the Pioneer unit? I'm currently running the sony from there but the quality of the sony is quite average there anyway.

b) Generally what would you recomend? I'm quite new to audio and usually rely on reviews and, to be honest, bargin hunting (managed to get the above set for under £200, sorry to brag). So any recommendations will be gratefully recieved.

I could probably strech to about £300-400, but would be looking to buy from ebay (or like), so please think in second hand prices.

FYI - I'm a 'general' music user, very novice DJ, though looking to improve. System is occasionally used for movies, gaming etc.

Music taste - Dance, D&B, Hip-hop (not sure if that helps)

Thanks in advance for any help and advice,

Sam

T

the record spot

Hi Sam, have a look at Gumtree if you're in the UK, you'll get some great bargains there. Ebay's also good obviously. Do a little work on what kind of sound you like too as well as into the kit you might want to shortlist. Lastly, I'd hang on to the speakers for now, and kick off with an amp and perhaps a CD player if you wanted to consider freeing yourself up from the all-in-one setup (assuming you want to).

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply.

I agree, Gumtree (and trade-it) are great for bargins. Ive bought all my kit from those two websites.

Im really trying to keep the all in 1 kit, as its a great DJ starter kit. As you can see below it has some of the benefits of separates, but as data is transferred between the deck, amp & twin CD players it uses data cables rather than phono, so is a bit limiting with regards to upgradeability.

However the amp does have 1 phono input & 1 output. Hence my question about quality issues with phono connections. Although from what ive read a set of decent phono cables will solve that.

I think the main thing I want to replace is the sony, its a bit of a clumbsy old brute. So yea, ive kind of answered my own question. Thanks for the help.

spd_20091120140248_b.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts