Advice please, peeps!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi everyone,

My speakers are bi-wireable. I'm using a single run of cable now. I might bi-wire later on (the manufacturers do recommend it).

There's some wire running between the terminals. Would there be an advantage to me replacing these wires with some copper speaker cable?  

Also,  On the bi-wire topic, is it subjective like power cables, or is scientifically proven to be a better option?

Thanks for any input 

John Duncan

Probably to your advantage to cut a couple of inches off your existing speaker cable and use that, I'd say. And like all these things it's subjective (though in a positive way, in my experience).

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I've just taken John's advice and replaced the wire between the speaker terminals. I'm suprised how much difference it has made. Vocals have always been a strong suit, but now there's a definite increase in the 'air' around them. Ditto for acoustic guitar. I love upgrades that cost nothing!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
bretty:I love upgrades that cost nothing!

In which case, try connecting the speaker cables to the upper (HF) terminals instead of the lower (LF) ones.

You may find it brings a subtle but worthwhile further increase in focus and 'air'.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
You may find it brings a subtle but worthwhile further increase in focus and 'air'.

Can't believe I haven't tried this and my main system isn't set up at the moment so can't. Would the increase in definition in the high frequencies detract from the low if you switch them over?ÿ

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:Can't believe I haven't tried this and my main system isn't set up at the moment so can't. Would the increase in definition in the high frequencies detract from the low if you switch them over?

Not really - the low-end stuff is pretty robust, and can take care of itself, whereas the treble signals are, by their very nature, relatively delicate, and may benefit from this switch.

And if it does nothing for you? Well, it costs nothing to try and is easily reversible.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Yes, Andrew, I've just swapped them over and It has brought faint, background percussion out into the open. Top tip. Well done Sir, have an orange!ÿ

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
And if it does nothing for you? Well, it costs nothing to try and is easily reversible.

Just set the main system back up again after the living rooms deep clean and tried this. A quick spin of Fleet Foxes does seem to sound a tad more airy and as you said there doesn't seem to be any difference in the lower range. Cheers Andrew.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts