Question Advice on which Turntable to keep

Blackjam

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi.

I have 2 vintage Turntables, but I need to sell 1 to help fund some new speakers.

I have a JVC QL-7 and a Technics SL 1500 mk1.
I like the sound of them both and cant decide which to keep. The jvc seems to have a higher second hand value but that maybe because its rarer. I have no intention to upgrade them in anyway at present but know I could do more with the Technics If I changed my mind.
The JVC looks better with its wood effect finish but I dont if it's better technically on paper.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Blackjam

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Thank you all for your help. I will keep the JVC. It just means I will have to wait a bit longer for new speakers. And , if I regret getting rid of the Technics at least there not that expensive to buy again. Although I got mine for 20 quid in a cash converters. BTW , I'm saving up for a pair of Q acoustics 3050i. Any thoughts? My amp is a NAD c370.

Myxomatosis

Jun 7, 2020
Visit site
Daaamn! My thoughts do not matter here at all!
I was thinking about my Paradigm Speakers and my Denon record player with diamond tip. Yes, diamond. THAT was not a pretty penny. The entire system survived a house fire and is still standing without a single amount of sound loss.
I remember bringing in a first press Bob Dylan Portrait album and Joni Mitchell's Blue for sound test before purchasing. First time I was not laughed at.

Daaamn! My thoughts do not matter here at all!
I was thinking about my Paradigm Speakers and my Denon record player with diamond tip. Yes, diamond. THAT was not a pretty penny. The entire system survived a house fire and is still standing without a single amount of sound loss.
I remember bringing in a first press Bob Dylan Portrait album and Joni Mitchell's Blue for sound test before purchasing. First time I was not laughed at.
Please keep to the subject of the thread.

Myxomatosis

Jun 7, 2020
Visit site
I did.. I also joined your place what 60 minutes ago? Only to comment on a quiz posted to the internet that I can no longer find and was not allowed to comment on because I was immediately redirected to this exact post.
Good grief! I thought this place was for open discussion?

Keep the JVC if all you want are appearances and not necessarily perfect sound quality. Other than that... I prefer the Tecnics. I have had one for many, many years (Thanks Dad). If I am looking for preservation of my albums I use my Denon. If I am wanting the crackle sound of the record, I will dig out the Technics. However I will usually place a dime or penny (levelled of course) on the tip for better performance. I guess it depends on the vintage. My Technics is solid metal. Practically a weapon.

"Please keep to the subject of the thread. "
Is that better?

Thanks for being so kind!!
Your loving N00b

Last edited:
I did.. I also joined your place what 60 minutes ago? Only to comment on a quiz posted to the internet that I can no longer find and was not allowed to comment on because I was immediately redirected to this exact post.
Good grief! I thought this place was for open discussion?

Keep the JVC if all you want are appearances and not necessarily perfect sound quality. Other than that... I prefer the Tecnics. I have had one for many, many years (Thanks Dad). If I am looking for preservation of my albums I use my Denon. If I am wanting the crackle sound of the record, I will dig out the Technics. However I will usually place a dime or penny (levelled of course) on the tip for better performance. I guess it depends on the vintage. My Technics is solid metal. Practically a weapon.

"Please keep to the subject of the thread. "
Is that better?

Thanks for being so kind!!
Your loving N00b
I am intrigued by your comment that an internet quiz led you here and you signed up....
Whatever, welcome to the forum.
The place is indeed open for discussion but it it is normally a good idea to read the thread you are posting to.
Forum rules apply to all both old and new.

Myxomatosis

Jun 7, 2020
Visit site
I am intrigued by your comment that an internet quiz led you here and you signed up....
Whatever, welcome to the forum.
The place is indeed open for discussion but it it is normally a good idea to read the thread you are posting to.
Forum rules apply to all both old and new.
It was a quiz from WHAT HI*FI? about "Finish the Lyrics" I was wanting to comment on that, but I had to sign up first. When I did, it immediately put me into this thread which I read completely.
I was however, not expecting to feel as though I was being scolded. Please accept my apology for not giving you (All Ears), the impression that I read the thread. I should have been more careful. I should have walked away. I am honestly sorry.
I was expecting to end up in the comment section of the WHAT HI*FI? lyrics quiz.

I realize that you must have the impression that I am just totally stupid. Let me fix that for you. I am a graduate of Musicology from the RIT in NY.
My particular area of study was forensic audiolo...
Wait. Nevermind.
That is not the topic of this thread and here I go again being stupid.

I think you should look at what WHAT HI*FI? puts out for quizzes and such and maybe you'll see what I am talking about. The one I received was in my morning news feed completely unsolicited.
Try doing it without being logged in and try to comment. You are forced to make an account.

If you want more, please message me privately so I am not off topic.
Thanks.

D

Deleted member 108165

It was a quiz from WHAT HI*FI? about "Finish the Lyrics" I was wanting to comment on that, but I had to sign up first. When I did, it immediately put me into this thread which I read completely.
I was however, not expecting to feel as though I was being scolded. Please accept my apology for not giving you (All Ears), the impression that I read the thread. I should have been more careful. I should have walked away. I am honestly sorry.
I was expecting to end up in the comment section of the WHAT HI*FI? lyrics quiz.

I realize that you must have the impression that I am just totally stupid. Let me fix that for you. I am a graduate of Musicology from the RIT in NY.
My particular area of study was forensic audiolo...
Wait. Nevermind.
That is not the topic of this thread and here I go again being stupid.

I think you should look at what WHAT HI*FI? puts out for quizzes and such and maybe you'll see what I am talking about. The one I received was in my morning news feed completely unsolicited.
Try doing it without being logged in and try to comment. You are forced to make an account.

If you want more, please message me privately so I am not off topic.
Thanks.
No worries. WHF are so desperate for new members that they'll try anything to lure you in and sign-up :)

daytona600

Thank you all for your help. I will keep the JVC. It just means I will have to wait a bit longer for new speakers. And , if I regret getting rid of the Technics at least there not that expensive to buy again. Although I got mine for 20 quid in a cash converters. BTW , I'm saving up for a pair of Q acoustics 3050i. Any thoughts? My amp is a NAD c370.
3050i buy a spare set of tweeters , spares on chinese made gear can be a real problem even under warranty
£500 you can get speakers made in the UK & EU with spares for decades

D

Deleted member 108165

3050i buy a spare set of tweeters , spares on chinese made gear can be a real problem even under warranty
£500 you can get speakers made in the UK & EU with spares for decades

Hang on a minute we've got to be fair here. This complaint by the user was very quickly dealt with by QA, the user only came on here to slander and scarper, we never heard from him again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts