Advice on upgrading amp and speakers please

MarkAuckland

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi. I would like to upgrade my amp and/or speakers. I have a Marantz CD-17 mk II KI signature range CD player, the Marantz PM-19 amp and Tannoy Revolution R3 speakers. I have discovered valve amplifiers and really like the reality and honesty of the sound. I have tried a Conrad-Johnson Classic Sixty pre and power combination. It is good, but quite expensive compared to some integrated valve amplifiers. I am struggling to find replacement speakers. I tried the Tannoy Stirlings from the Prestige Range and ProAc Studio 140 Mk II. The problem is that voices sound harsh and sibilant compared to my Tannoy revolution R3 speakers. Any suggestions? Will the harshness settle as the speakers burn in? Can I modulate the sound with interconnects/cables/valves? or should I be looking at other speakers? Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks, Mark.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I've heard the ProAcs and agree with your comments. The Stirling is very different, but I agree can sound hard - at least, the one I heard for about 5 minutes did. Pretty impressive, but. You might want to consider panel speakers like Quad, Magnepan or Martin Logan for a different take on the sound. Otherwise, there's the Neat Elites, which are nicely balanced, Sonus Faber Minimas (small) or Cremona (expensive), Dynaudio etc.

The speakers you choose are going to influence what valve amp you can get: I like Leben, but they wouldn't be suitable for the Magnepans, for example, not enough oomph.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I wondered about Harbeth, too, but, given the speakers he has and has tried, the larger ones might be more the go. The P3ESR is a bit small compared to the others.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts