Advice on upgrade - DACs

jonomd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I mentioned in a post before that I was looking to upgrade. Possibly an all rega system. As my sources are Arcam 1cd player and a Yamaha HD1500 (Hard drive recorder) which I will be keeping i was wondering the value of a another cd player. I've seen mentioned a Rega DAC in this forum producing good results.

If i was to use the Rega DAC and the above sources as transports would their sound change to Rega characteristics or would they produce an unpredictable result. I believe the Yamaha internal DAC can be switched off for an external to be fitted.

Thanks

Hi jonomd

Using the Yamaha and Arcam as sources into Rega's DAC would probably alter the sound in a very small way (if any) compared to for eg. using Rega's Apollo cd player as a transport. What you'll certainly get with using Rega's DAC is quite a jump up in performnce over the Yamaha and the Arcam
emotion-1.gif

Rega's DAC is superb and represents excellent VFM
emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

jonomd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for advive. That was what I was looking to find out. The yamaha and arcam are decent performers and would be nice to get a bit more out of them.

John

jonomd:
Thanks for advive. That was what I was looking to find out. The yamaha and arcam are decent performers and would be nice to get a bit more out of them.

John

Hi John

Your welcome.

Yes, Rega's DAC will certainly offer an improvement over the Yamaha and Arcam
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I had a brief demo of the Rega DAC plugged into an Apollo CD player the other day. The dealer was very keen on it and told me how much difference it had made in one of their systems, using a Saturn. He set up a simple system in their dem room with a Rega integrated amp, the Apollo, and Spendor speakers (which could have been too revealing!) and A-B'd the CD player vs CD+DAC in fairly quick rotation. Both of us - and I mean that - could hear hardly any difference.

I'm not sure what this means in a wider context - but once again it seems to me that the current obsession with DACs as a kind of cure-all .... doesn't do it for me.

jonomd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I would demo the Rega and other DACs first to see what it offers. The yamaha I want to keep anyway. I also have a standalone cd player. It would be expensive to replace both components so a DAC could make a lot of sense.

I knew someone else who used a cambridge dac magic with the Yamaha and reported very favourable results.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts