Advice on turntables needed

Mapped out where I want my money to go to bring my system upto a level I expect. The Naim CDP has done that SQ-wise. I know my short-list for speakers, but one thing I'm unclear about is the turntable.

Ideally it would be desirable to have a lid but could live without one in the short term. Pencilled in the turntables I'd love but whether it'll be worthwhile given how often I listen to vinyl: Can go a week or two and play nothing else, then go four weeks without spinning a single disc. Really is a case of caught between the clouds and the muddy pond.

plastic penguin said:
Mapped out where I want my money to go to bring my system upto a level I expect. The Naim CDP has done that SQ-wise. I know my short-list for speakers, but one thing I'm unclear about is the turntable.

Ideally it would be desirable to have a lid but could live without one in the short term. Pencilled in the turntables I'd love but whether it'll be worthwhile given how often I listen to vinyl: Can go a week or two and play nothing else, then go four weeks without spinning a single disc. Really is a case of caught between the clouds and the muddy pond.

I can quite understand where you are coming from. There seems to be a load more variation in the abilities of record decks than just about anything else and they are one of the trickiest items to try to audition.

Very few, these days, come with a lid although there are plenty of makers of aftermarket acrylic boxes to cover them.

Nice CDP by the way.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Oooh!

You buying a new Turntable?

Well been listening to my DAC most of the day, its pretty good you know -- except for the odd dogy CD (Florence.....)

off to bed now, early start tomo....... so I have finished off with Sade - Diamond Life 180g remaster on the RP6......... Beautiful!

Only mentioned 309 in case you were loaded :)

You have to know your dealers to as half the time they don't know where it's been either. They are simply trying to offload a trade-in.

But maybe tha's me just being the old cynic that I have been told I am :)

stevebrock said:
Oooh!

You buying a new Turntable?

Well been listening to my DAC most of the day, its pretty good you know -- except for the odd dogy CD (Florence.....)

off to bed now, early start tomo....... so I have finished off with Sade - Diamond Life 180g remaster on the RP6......... Beautiful!

You are quite right. Lovely album. My original went missing some years ago. I think I'm in a mind to go and buy a new replacement.

180g vinyl you say? Will have to go and have a quick Google.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
No problems buying s/h. Just dont get it sent but collect and you'll see what you get. My Garrard was damaged in transit despite careful packaging so I decided to collect the Thorens. - Often they have been with the same owner from new.

regards

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
As to the suggested Technics tables, whilst reportedly very good in mint condition and upgradeable, many have been owned by kids, used as DJ decks, trashed and neglected. Tread carefully. They also command premium prices and I think its difficult to get a bargain. Have a look on the bay and the number of bids they usually get but I agree that the potential for a very good TT is there if you get a good one and spend some money on it.

I'd probably stay away from the likes of Planar's, you get a half decent arm and the rest is binable.

Having followed you over the years (not literally, rest assured) I would probably go for some new entry project (carbon?) or Rega equivelant. They are ready to use, have warranty and if you decide to upgrade or give up on vinyl you can sell on and still get a decent return but you could of course get more and in most likelyhood better buying s/h if you are prepared for a little servicing.

All imo only and you know a few months ago I didn't even know what a record was ;)

regards

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Ah, just noticed you already got a Table ...

Rega and Project seem almost the defacto choice in that range for new TT's.

I would probably look for a s/h Michell as it has suspension but the choice of cartridge (and the correct match to the arm) will at least make as much difference.

regards

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
As to the suggested Technics tables, whilst reportedly very good in mint condition and upgradeable, many have been owned by kids, used as DJ decks, trashed and neglected. Tread carefully. They also command premium prices and I think its difficult to get a bargain. Have a look on the bay and the number of bids they usually get but I agree that the potential for a very good TT is there if you get a good one and spend some money on it.

I'd probably stay away from the likes of Planar's, you get a half decent arm and the rest is binable.

Having followed you over the years (not literally, rest assured) I would probably go for some new entry project (carbon?) or Rega equivelant. They are ready to use, have warranty and if you decide to upgrade or give up on vinyl you can sell on and still get a decent return but you could of course get more and in most likelyhood better buying s/h if you are prepared for a little servicing.

All imo only and you know a few months ago I didn't even know what a record was ;)

regards

Top post :clap:.

I am loath to suggest anything that PP can't get to listen to localy ,idealy at home with his *phono and cart* as this is crux. One mans meat and all that.

I'm guessing that you will be sticking with the same cart and onboard phono here PP.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Allocating around £600-£700 give or take.

That's enough for a good Sl1210 and an Origin live Rega armplate + arm.

It's also enough for a Rega RP3 with a decent cartridge and/or Rega TT-PSU.

However, you will never buy anything like the Technics from e-bay and you will probably dismiss it as not being a genuine hi-fi turntable (it is in spades), so I suppose I shouldn't have suggested it.

floyd droid said:
drummerman said:

regards

Top post :clap:.

I am loath to suggest anything that PP can't get to listen to localy ,idealy at home with his *phono and cart* as this is crux. One mans meat and all that.

I'm guessing that you will be sticking with the same cart and onboard phono here PP.

I haven't got ClearAudio cart tattooed over me. :) I'm prepared to move away from that make of cart if necessary, in the same way I moved away from Arcam stuff, and Rega RP6 does tick most of my 'like' boxes, but it seems every one tends to go for Rega (message to Rega fanboys: That make great TTs but...), so maybe looking for a viable alternative. The Technics doesn't appeal as much as other makes because... I know I know I know I know I'm the first to mention "only use reviews as a guideline" but the upgrade needs to be worthwhile in terms of shear SQ.

The ones I've seen sold, albeit not that recently:

Gyro SE (S/hand)

ClearAudio Concept (ex-dem)

Roksan Radius (wood version)

Pro-ject Experience (acryllic)

Rega RP6

Like any component it need to be the 'right fit'.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
The ones I've seen sold, albeit not that recently:

Gyro SE (S/hand)

ClearAudio Concept (ex-dem)

Roksan Radius (wood version)

Pro-ject Experience (acryllic)

Rega RP6

This are the two that i would hightlight for you to demo...

The Clearaudio Concept if you find one ex-demo don't look back, but you already know that don't you? ;)

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

Well you aint going to achieve that 'right fit' second hand are you , because all you will be doing is taking a flyer with your fingers crossed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts