Advice on running in Rega Dac

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Can anyone advise how long it should take to run in my new Rega Dac please?

I feel it has a bit of smoothing out over the Demo unit I tried at home.

I have it turned (switched) on all the time. It this running in?

Or if I have my Squeezebox Touch streaming to the Dac with the sound turned down / speakers cable disconnected from speaker is this actively running in the Dac?

I can leave running overnight for a few nights maybe?

Thanks!

Ambrose

A

Anonymous

I'm sure I read with mine that Rega don't recommend any specific artificial running in, just let it run its course naturally when you use it and play lots of music. I did and I'm very happy. Enjoy.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
did not do anything special with my DAC, like SteveD just heard lots and lots of music, not have a Squeezebox Touch, but after buying the Rega Brio R will be my next investment. I do love my Rega DAC, best buy in my hi fi rec.

Chers

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I am happy with the DAC but am sure I have read there is some burn in time before DAC performs at its best.

As I have young family I do not have hours and hours of spare time for listening to music so I wanted to speed up the natural burn in time.

Any suggestions please????????

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ambrose said:
Or if I have my Squeezebox Touch streaming to the Dac with the sound turned down / speakers cable disconnected from speaker is this actively running in the Dac?

I can leave running overnight for a few nights maybe?

The DAC wouldn't 'know' if your volume was turned up, or down, or if your speakers were disconnected. (Disconnect from amp end to minimise chance of shorting connections.)

I doubt this whole 'burning in' thing but then I don't own a Rega DAC.

Given the chance, you should have bought the demo unit as it sounded so good in your home. (Always go for the certainty.)

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Chebby.

I'll disconnect speakers amp end and leave running for a few days and see what I think.

The Demo Unit was very well run in, like product number 280 or something. I had to buy new as using finance in this case.

I'm sure it will all come good, hell it is good already :dance:

I'll try altering speak stands positioning as well as might be a bit different to when demo'd. I have to get stands out in the evenings as have a young child. not ideal but sounds way better than on my sideboard.

Ambrose

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi Gusboll,

I haven't done lengthy comparisons (don't have the time) but I will do another comparison after I have run in a bit more, especially now I have the option to use stands rather than speakers placed on a sideboard which makes soundstage and imaging a good deal better.

When I demo'd I really liked the presentation of the Rega over stock dac plus the better imaging. I think it might be the timing and dynamics which make the music flow much better. You get a better sense of how the music is intented to sound.

Also, wamer and easier to listen to for me, I don't like too much top end shrill. Hurts my head.

As many have said, which I agree, the sound from stock dac is quite revealing, especially if it is setup correctly.

Musically the Rega Dac reminds me more of the Naim CD5i I used to own.

Hope this helps.

Ambrose

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Gusboll said:
Hi Ambrose, How would you describe the Rega DAC's performance over the SBT's stand-alone performance?

Well, I couldn't tell the difference between the Rega dac and the sonos zp90 dac, so it went on ebay. I used to have a squeezebox duet and the stock dac was certainly no worse than a dacmagic, the touch is supposed to be better.

If you want to change the sound, moving your speakers will do more than buying a dac, ime.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
I guess it comes down to personal preference and deemed value for money.

As I really enjoy a more musical sounding (foot tapping) system I was happy to buy the Rega Dac over the top of the stock dac. It's all in the timing :)

Or maybe i'm just too fussy ;)

Ahem..........

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
The rega dac does have (for me) an obvious sound signature of its own. It's on the warm/rich side of neutral. It definitely takes the edge off those harsher/clinical cd sounds. It is "musical" and is v good over longer listening sessions. It does seem to act like a high frequency filter. The imagery is still natural, solid with no detail missing.

Unfortunately, the 3D soundstage becomes a little recessed and higher frequency sounds lose some "air" and ambience.

Pros and cons. But no doubting its fluid,analogue and very listenable qualities

tonky

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Tonky,

I agree that I have found most of my music collection listenable (& enjoyable) with the Rega dac. Good point.

On the soundstage, I found using different analogue interconnects made a difference.

I tried the following:-

Chord Crimson- good cheap all rounder

Chord Chamelon - Good midrange but lacking bass. Little bright for my tastes however was not run in.

Nordost Red Dawn - Fierce and ear bashing. Fast and detailed. Very system dependant I would say.

Van Den Hul First Ultimate - Smooth, warm full sounding with great detail and full range covered.

Mark Grant G1500HD - most similar to Van Den Hul, with a less pronounced treble and perhaps a little less detailed and a little less organic.

The last 3 had better soundstage. I found the Mark Grant to really project sound foward into the room and noticed a small level of 3d soundstage. Doesn't sound like music is coming from speakers, unlike the Chameleon.

As the Mark Grant were on offer £75 it was a no brainer. Great cable imho.

Still, I guess all very system dependant but well worth trying a few on loan as can have a quite an impact.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Ambrose said:
Tonky,

I agree that I have found most of my music collection listenable (& enjoyable) with the Rega dac. Good point.

On the soundstage, I found using different analogue interconnects made a difference.

I tried the following:-

Chord Crimson- good cheap all rounder

Chord Chamelon - Good midrange but lacking bass. Little bright for my tastes however was not run in.

Nordost Red Dawn - Fierce and ear bashing. Fast and detailed. Very system dependant I would say.

Van Den Hul First Ultimate - Smooth, warm full sounding with great detail and full range covered.

Mark Grant G1500HD - most similar to Van Den Hul, with a less pronounced treble and perhaps a little less detailed and a little less organic.

The last 3 had better soundstage. I found the Mark Grant to really project sound foward into the room and noticed a small level of 3d soundstage. Doesn't sound like music is coming from speakers, unlike the Chameleon.

As the Mark Grant were on offer £75 it was a no brainer. Great cable imho.

Still, I guess all very system dependant but well worth trying a few on loan as can have a quite an impact.

Hi,

Let the chameleon burn in its much better than than the crimson, the sound will open up more and bass will fill out.

Cheers

Steve.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the nod and I did expect improvements for the Chameleon. Indeed a definate improvement over crimson.

However, I was bowled over by the Mark Grant G1500HD so went for that in the end.

Cheers

Ambrose

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts