Advice on front speaker upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Q1010i 5.1 speaker set, and I’ve been thinking about upgrading my front speakers (mainly for stereo sources) with the larger 1020s. I’ll use the existing 1010s to increase to a 7.1 set up (although god knows where I’ll put the rear surrounds!).

Will the 1020s provide a significant sonic upgrade, or is the only difference that they are bi-wireable? And are 7.1 channels noticeably better than 5.1? I’m using a new Onk 576 for amp duties and PS3 as source.

Otherwise, can you recommend any other front speakers that would suit? Budget is about £120. Advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

John Duncan

Well you've answered your own question with your budget - there's nothing else for £120 that will be better than the 1020, and the vast majority will be worse as they won't integrate with your centre properly.

And yes, I would say that they'll be an upgrade.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Well you've answered your own question with your budget - there's nothing else for £120 that will be better than the 1020, and the vast majority will be worse as they won't integrate with your centre properly.

And yes, I would say that they'll be an upgrade.

To be honest, the 'centre integration' is a bit of a red herring IMO.
I recently upgraded my centre to a Dali Vokal 2 to match the Ikon 6's, and to be honest it isn't a massive improvement on the MS905C I had before.
I have had mixed centre, and main speakers a few times over the years, and it works fine.
Unless you have 3 identical speakers, then the centre speaker isn't going to sound the same as the stereo pair anyway.

I'm not saying that it isn't desirable, or indeed often better, but I don't believe it is as importants as some say. In fact, I would say if you watch alot of TV, then get the best centre you can afford, not the one that matches your stereo pair. (And conversely if music is the priority, then get the best stereo pair...)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
fr0g:To be honest, the 'centre integration' is a bit of a red herring IMO.
You and I definitely differ on that one my friend! Hence the need for auditioning before purchase I'd say.

A

Anonymous

professorhat:fr0g:To be honest, the 'centre integration' is a bit of a red herring IMO.
You and I definitely differ on that one my friend! Hence the need for auditioning before purchase I'd say.

Auditioning is not an option for me, unfortunately. Where I live there are no AV showrooms that stock home cinema or hi-fi equipment.

I've noticed a few other speaker sets close to my budget- such as the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s or maybe the Tannoy F1s. Since I cant get to audition, I'm open to suggestion from your good selves!

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
I recently did something similar. I upgraded my 1010 front speakers to the 1030 floorstanders. I've definitely noticed an improvement, especially when listening to music. Not saying the the 1010s were bad. They were very good, especially for the size and I have kept the old front pair and might use them for a modest bedroom set-up. I think the 1030 and 1050 floorstanders are still on offer from Superfi at £129 and £199 respectively so could be worth a look if you've got the space. I'm sure they'd have no problem integrating with your existing set-up.

A

Anonymous

FuzzyinLondon:I recently did something similar. I upgraded my 1010 front speakers to the 1030 floorstanders. I've definitely noticed an improvement, especially when listening to music. Not saying the the 1010s were bad. They were very good, especially for the size and I have kept the old front pair and might use them for a modest bedroom set-up. I think the 1030 and 1050 floorstanders are still on offer from Superfi at £129 and £199 respectively so could be worth a look if you've got the space. I'm sure they'd have no problem integrating with your existing set-up.

Thanks- I did consider the 1030s. Thats a damn good price, too.

Cheers for all your replies.

A

Anonymous

An interesting discussion here as I'm looking at buying the 1010i package. However it had occured to me I'd be paying £60-£70 for the Q Acoustics stands for the fronts, so might aswell pay £50 more and get the floorstanders.

Just looked at that offer at Superfi and am at a loss to whether they're offering the newer 1010i's or the older non-i's.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
lucasisking:professorhat:fr0g:To be honest, the 'centre integration' is a bit of a red herring IMO.

Auditioning is not an option for me, unfortunately. Where I live there are no AV showrooms that stock home cinema or hi-fi equipment.

I've noticed a few other speaker sets close to my budget- such as the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s or maybe the Tannoy F1s. Since I cant get to audition, I'm open to suggestion from your good selves!

Your best bet would be to move house

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts