Advice on Amp & Speaker Upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Brief details of current system are

Very old NAD amp, Arcam 72 CD, Mission 732 speakers, Pro-Ject RPM 5.2 turntable, Videologic DAB tuner, Van Den Hul interconnects and QED speaker cable.

Have been auditioning various amps and speaker combinations and are down to the shortlist below. I know this will not be everyone's choice, but that's what makes life such fun!
emotion-1.gif
Looking at up to £3k GBP

Amps - either a Quad 99 pre/power or 99/909 Or a Cyrus pre Vs2 and power 8.

Speakers - either Monitor Audio Silver RS8, Gold GS20 or PMC GB1i's.

What do you think would be the best combination/choice ans what speaker cable would you suggest if I'm biwiring?

Thx

Beach
emotion-21.gif

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
With that budget i'd certainly take a look at the Cyrus 8v2 integrated along with either a Cyrus x-power or the Cyrus 8 power amp and either the M/A GS20's or B&W CM7 speakers.

My girlfriend has the Cyrus 8v2 integrated along with the Cyrus 8 Power amp and B&W CM7 speakers and the combo is fantastc, along with the Cyrus 8CDP.

The M/A RS8 speakers are very good but you can get better with that budget.

I do like pre-amps but theyre better suited with a series of monoblocks rather than stereo power amps.

You could possibly look at the Roksan LIII Integrated, power amp and CDP combo, again with the the M/A speakers. What about an Arcam FMJ A32 integrated amp and CDP? Always worth an audtion id say.

A

Anonymous

Thanks

I auditioned the M/A GS20's at the weekend along with RS6's ( they didn't have 8's) and Quad 22L2's. Quads were too soft and wooly and the GS20's were favourite. These were tested with the Roksan Kandy III and Cyrus Integrated 8VS2.

Have to say I couldn't pick a favourite from the 2 integrated amps, so trying pre/power combo's this weekend to see if any gains with this more expensive kit. I have an audition lined up with the Quad 99/909 amps and Cyrus vs2 and 8 power combos plus GS20's, RS8's and PMC GB1's this weekend, then it's decision time.

Very interested in others views...............at least I'm down to a shortlist.

amarocknrollstar

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="d_a_n1979"]My girlfriend has the Cyrus 8v2 integrated along with the Cyrus 8 Power amp and
B&W CM7 speakers and the combo is fantastc, along with the Cyrus 8CDP[/quote]

Your girlfriend is a shining example to all females out there. Carlsberg don't make girlfriends but if they did.....

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
She's only got it cos i'm spending thousands on my Onkyo and B&W AV system.

She loves her music though and likes the house to rock a bit so we went and did a days auditioning at Sevenoaks. They loved us haha...

I'm actually considering a main hi-fi system now as i've come into some money but dont want to part with my 2nd system as its spot on for my listening room

I may be going down the Roksan Kandy LIII integrated, power amp and CDP myself. Just need to decide on speakers but i feel that the M/A GS20's could be well up there!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts