advice on a turntable upgrade

johnnyboy1950

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I bought my first TT for years and am pretty happy with it. Things have changed since the 80s so Im looking more closely at improvements. Now I have the Project Debut Carbon Esprit with ortofon red cartridge and Project phono box phono stage. The obvious routes are cartridge and/or phono amp. Im thinking about the edwards apprentice or the ortofon blue or both. Ant thoughts? the amp is the cambridge CA80 going into MA silver 6s.

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
What's your budget, why not try an MC cartridge. The Cambridge Amp is an enviable piece of equipment, a phono stage might not help that much.

You can get a more refined and subtle sound from simply swapping to a Blue stylus. No need to change the whole cartridge.

If you seek a different sound then you'll find quite a few threads here debating various cartridges.

I wouldn't worry about upgrading the phono preamp until you are looking at cartridges in the £300 plus price range, and even then I'd suggest a careful audition.

nopiano said:
You can get a more refined and subtle sound from simply swapping to a Blue stylus. No need to change the whole cartridge.

If you seek a different sound then you'll find quite a few threads here debating various cartridges.

I wouldn't worry about upgrading the phono preamp until you are looking at cartridges in the £300 plus price range, and even then I'd suggest a careful audition.

+1. Only I don't like the cheaper Ortofons. The stylus change is a possibility but it depends on the budget. I would move away from that cartridge manufacturer, but that's just me.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts