Advice needed, Want to sell Bose and buy Onkyo/Kef system!!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello All,

Im currently running a Bose Lifestyle 35x system which is basically the Lifestyle 48 with the small cube speakers but doesnt have the internal hardrive. I bought this system last october foolishly without looking around and seeing what i can get for my money and it has been grating me since that they had my pants down to put it one way as im not happy with the quality of sound e.t.c.

Anyway my plan is to sell my Bose and cut my lose's and buy the highly rated Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver and use it with a KEF KHT1005 speakers? I want to spend about £700 which this fits my budget nicely.

Questions im really asking is;

1, Would this system listed above be better than my current Bose setup?
2, Would the above be the best options for a £700 budget?

Many thanks in advance.

Chris

A

Anonymous

Anybody
emotion-1.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'm guessing by you choosing Bose (and mentioning the baby KEFs) that you're after small speakers? There'll always be some sonic compromise there, so don't expect miracles! We're just about to test the new-generation KEF 1005s (the 1005.2 package) so can't say if they're the very best at that price-point.

If you're not planning to connect a source that uses HDMI and optical(eg Sky HD), i'd suggest the Sony STR-DG820 (list price £300, available for £250) over the Onkyo - would leave you more money for speakers. Something like the Mission M-Cubes are still small/attractive, but would be a clear sonic step up from the KEFs.

A

Anonymous

Im using a LG 32" HD telly that only has one hdmi socket, but i have Sky HD and use a PS3 for watching Blu-ray DVD's, i looked at the sony first then noticed there is an issue when using with sky HD and that it doesnt upscale.

Im not to bothered about small speakers, i want it too be the best for the money i have but the Fiancee prefers them to be smaller as our front room isnt to big.

What speakers would you suggest for my budget?

Many thanks

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Not sure what size living room you have but i guess you want small compact speakers and maybe with a 700 pound buget might have to compromise i suggest the following amps and speakers may suit you slighty over budget but i think its worth it . Those kefs wont give you the best sound so look at these .

[*]Onkyo 606/ Denon 1909 and the kef 2005.2 for £799-£849
[*]Onkyo 606 / Denon 1909 and Wharfedale Diamond 9 hcp £749-£799
[*]Sony 1200es /Sony dg820 and Mission m cubes £799-£849
[*]Sony 1200es and Radius R90 £719
[*]Sony 1200es and Tannoy arenas £699.

A

Anonymous

Our house is Open plan living with the living/dining and kitchen area all in one which itself is a large area but we are limited to places to put the speakers. I would personally have something larger. I have decided im definately going to go for the Onkyo 606 just undecided on the speakers still?

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
mostly for cinema or also music? for music i would no anywhere small satellite speakers. ok maybe for the rear...but for front speakers i would choose something bigger, and not necessarily costlier...

beater

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
I have the Onkyo 606 and kef 1005's and there might be better speakers out there but i am still very impressed with how mine sounds,But a new set of speakers will be my next purchase so i am open to some advice on what to buy for around £500-£600.

panasonic TH50PX70,panasonic BD30,panasonic DMR-EX87,7.1 kef 1005's.

A

Anonymous

I use my system for everything, TV/Movies/Music/Games/Radio.

I fancy something a little bigger but not sure what?

A

Anonymous

Im considering going for the wharfedale 9.1av's

what else is there is this price range to compare to?

A

Anonymous

ChrisAstley:Hello All,

Im currently running a Bose Lifestyle 35x system which is basically the Lifestyle 48 with the small cube speakers but doesnt have the internal hardrive. I bought this system last october foolishly without looking around and seeing what i can get for my money and it has been grating me since that they had my pants down to put it one way as im not happy with the quality of sound e.t.c.

Anyway my plan is to sell my Bose and cut my lose's and buy the highly rated Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver and use it with a KEF KHT1005 speakers? I want to spend about £700 which this fits my budget nicely.

Questions im really asking is;

1, Would this system listed above be better than my current Bose setup?
2, Would the above be the best options for a £700 budget?

Many thanks in advance.

Chris

Does the Bose system sound that bad? I thought that they are supposed to perform reasonably OK especially in confined spaces because they have that adapt IQ or something? Have you tested the other systems that you're considering to see whether there is a huge difference in sound quality?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
seakingadvice:[Does the Bose system sound that bad? I thought that they are supposed to perform reasonably OK especially in confined spaces because they have that adapt IQ or something? Have you tested the other systems that you're considering to see whether there is a huge difference in sound quality?

Reasonably OK, yes. But who wants to settle for 'reasonably OK' when you can have 'really good' for the same money?

A

Anonymous

garethwd:Where is boselover??? this thread would upset him.

He's long gone or at least changed his ID. Shame weighs heavily and he must have turned to a more righteous path !

A

Anonymous

Its not that the Bose sounds bad, it gives very clear sound, but has no feelin behind it, there is no real base and if i turn it up it starts to sound unrealistic. For watching tv it is fine but it never does movies justice and radio doesnt sound too good.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:
seakingadvice:[Does the Bose system sound that bad? I thought that they are supposed to perform reasonably OK especially in confined spaces because they have that adapt IQ or something? Have you tested the other systems that you're considering to see whether there is a huge difference in sound quality?

Reasonably OK, yes. But who wants to settle for 'reasonably OK' when you can have 'really good' for the same money?

Ha! Ha! Yes, I see what you're saying. Why settle for Silver/Bronze when you can go for Gold! Go London 2012!!!

But I thought that Chris Astley would have to spend even more money to rectify his "mistake"?

A

Anonymous

ChrisAstley:Its not that the Bose sounds bad, it gives very clear sound, but has no feelin behind it, there is no real base and if i turn it up it starts to sound unrealistic. For watching tv it is fine but it never does movies justice and radio doesnt sound too good.

Have you compared the Bose with the other systems that you are considering? Maybe it is not as bad as you think for movies? I think that there are limitations on what speakers that small can do. Since it seems like you wanted small speakers, maybe you can consider the Sony system with the golf ball sized speakers. Award winner in last year's awards issue and will cost you muchless that your Bose. BTW, by any chance are you related to Rick Astley? :)

A

Anonymous

i have decided to go for the new Kef 2005.3 speakers, i have found an ebay seller that will do the onkyo 606 receiver with the kef speakers delivered for £890.

Has anybody reveiwed these speakers yet?

A

Anonymous

Had another change of plan cause i got offered a better deal from same people, bought the onkyo 606, kef kht3005se speakers, 2x hdmi cables and 25m of speaker cable for £1020 delviered.

If anybody else wants a deal on some kht3005se they have a coupld more sets that they can discount, got it all from brotherhood of sound in sheffield. Cant recommend them enough. everything should be here today
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts