Advice needed on a potentially faulty digital optical cable

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recently purchased a CYP AU-D3 Digital To Analogue Converter with a free Fisual Install 5 Star Rated Optical Cable to connect my LG47LE8900 to my Bose sounddock speaker. Most of the time it works well but when the sound level is cranked up I get an annoying intermittent fault. It sounds like a temporary (about 0.5 second) loss or distortion of the sound.

I am assuming that the DAC is okay. I am a bit suspicious of the cable as it came free. Before I run off and purchase a TCI Coral optical cable (or something in that price range), can you let me know whether this seems a reasonable step to make. I am guessing that the fault may lie with the way the cable mates with the connectors at either end.

Any advice gratefully received.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the comment, I can see the logic. It may happen at other volume levels - its just that I seem to notice it when I give full attention to the TV output which is usually when I am watching a music festival on the BBC HD or Sky Arts HD. Assuming it is happening at all levels would that suggest the cable or the DAC?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I could be a momentary loss of digital lock between the TV and the DAC, a problem inside the DAC, or a problem in the interconnects between the DAC and the Bose. IMO the digital cable is the least likely suspect here.

A

Anonymous

Andrew

Thanks for the comments. I have used the Bose sounddock for several years on a previous TV using the headphone output and I initially used the headphone output on the LG but the level was too low. It's only since I went the optical cable/DAC route that the problem has arisen. I recognise that the DAC is at the lower end of the range of devices and I seem to have read somewhere that somebody had a similar problem but I can't remember the outcome. One final question if I may. Is there really a noticeable difference between a cheap and mid-range cable such as the TCI coral?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts