Question Advice for Headphones

TosicBob

Feb 11, 2022
Visit site
Goodmorning everyone!
I would like to buy headphones and a dac / amp (if needed) for a total budget of € 300, maximum € 350.
I would use them mainly for playing games and listening to music.
Both open and closed back are fine, as long as they are comfortable, especially with glasses.
I tried the DT 990s and found them pretty comfortable, but buying them it remains a budget of 200€, that is the twice that i would spend on headphones, that seems to me a little bit too overkill, so something comfortable as them, but better (?)
I would buy from Amazon.it
Thanks to everyone!

Gray

Goodmorning everyone!
I would like to buy headphones and a dac / amp (if needed) for a total budget of € 300, maximum € 350.
I think your maximum budget should nicely cover a Zen DAC V2 and a pair of Sennheiser HD-560S, with money to spare for a balanced cable should you wish to experiment.
Contrary to all the reports of comfort, I found the 560S a bit clampy at first - but they soon loosen up if you leave them stretched apart when not in use. Even new, the clamp force is no worse than the Beyer 880 I tried, but the pads aren't quite as soft - so you might want to loosen the clamp force.
Check Sennheiser Direct for a possible discount of 10% off a first order.
Otherwise get both from Amazon and if you don't like the Zen / Senn combo....return.
My guess is you'll be happy to keep them 👍

TosicBob

Feb 11, 2022
Visit site
I think your maximum budget should nicely cover a Zen DAC V2 and a pair of Sennheiser HD-560S, with money to spare for a balanced cable should you wish to experiment.
Contrary to all the reports of comfort, I found the 560S a bit clampy at first - but they soon loosen up if you leave them stretched apart when not in use. Even new, the clamp force is no worse than the Beyer 880 I tried, but the pads aren't quite as soft - so you might want to loosen the clamp force.
Check Sennheiser Direct for a possible discount of 10% off a first order.
Otherwise get both from Amazon and if you don't like the Zen / Senn combo....return.
My guess is you'll be happy to keep them 👍
Thanks!
While with a 500-550 Euros budget, what do you think i should go with?
Thanks in advance!

Gray

Thanks!
While with a 500-550 Euros budget, what do you think i should go with?
Thanks in advance!
Well that increases your choice Bob.
I can't tell you what to buy because it comes down to personal taste.
In my case the approx ratio for headphones, DAC and amp was £100, £200 and £150 respectively, but there are no fixed rules on how to split your budget.
ifi have just brought out a £99 version of the Zen DAC called the 'air', makes you wonder how much worse it could be.
Perhaps consider Topping offerings too (my amp is their A50S which does all you can ask of an amp - no discernable effect on the audio other than to increase its amplitude).
You might find a combined DAC / amp more convenient.
Main thing is your choice of headphone. Decide whether you want neutral or what some describe as 'fun' (with a more deliberately shaped sound).

Try to choose once and well 👍

TosicBob

Feb 11, 2022
Visit site
Well that increases your choice Bob.
I can't tell you what to buy because it comes down to personal taste.
In my case the approx ratio for headphones, DAC and amp was £100, £200 and £150 respectively, but there are no fixed rules on how to split your budget.
ifi have just brought out a £99 version of the Zen DAC called the 'air', makes you wonder how much worse it could be.
Perhaps consider Topping offerings too (my amp is their A50S which does all you can ask of an amp - no discernable effect on the audio other than to increase its amplitude).
You might find a combined DAC / amp more convenient.
Main thing is your choice of headphone. Decide whether you want neutral or what some describe as 'fun' (with a more deliberately shaped sound).

Try to choose once and well 👍

Thanks, i don't know which kind of sound i like more, but i like for sure the pumped bass and a wide soundstage, where can i found headphones for that budget, since i don't know any models?
I think I'd split like 350-400 for headphones and 200-150 for a dac/amp or dac + amp, if that may help

Reactions: Gray

Gray

Thanks, i don't know which kind of sound i like more, but i like for sure the pumped bass and a wide soundstage, where can i found headphones for that budget, since i don't know any models?
I think I'd split like 350-400 for headphones and 200-150 for a dac/amp or dac + amp, if that may help
For pumped bass, avoid headphones described as 'monitor', often said to be 'for critical listening'.
Perhaps look for models with a 'V' shaped frequency response (where bass and treble is lifted compared to the midrange).
I've never heard them, but by all accounts Beats brand headphones might give your sort of bass 👍

TosicBob

Feb 11, 2022
Visit site
For pumped bass, avoid headphones described as 'monitor', often said to be 'for critical listening'.
Perhaps look for models with a 'V' shaped frequency response (where bass and treble is lifted compared to the midrange).
I've never heard them, but by all accounts Beats brand headphones might give your sort of bass 👍
K, I'll watch for them, is there maybe a good buying list? Even for both flat (critical) and vshaped headphones?

Gray

K, I'll watch for them, is there maybe a good buying list? Even for both flat (critical) and vshaped headphones?
Definitely checkout the Head-Fi website.
You need to be careful of others' opinions. But, as you read through threads on different models, you can get good clues from what the majority are saying.
As always though, there's no substitute for listening for yourself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts