Adventures in Lo-Fi.. Seriously lo-fi

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Thought I'll share a Lo-Fi experience with you.

The year: 1994. Mp3s not mainstream yet. Internet still relatively nascent.

Me, doing homework sitting in the computer lab at 11 PM.

Music: Dire Straits: Brother in Arms: Playing out of teeny tiny tinny speakers of a Sun Solaris machine.

Sound quality: Probably 22 Kbps wav file. Yeah, really bad quality sound coming from bad computer speakers.

Effect: Me loving it.

Probably heard that album a few dozen times over the course of the semester ( I did my homework from 2 PM Friday until the wee hours of saturday morning (2-3 am) that year. The really bad quality of the sound didn't prevent me from loving it.

My point: whatever you want to make of it. :)

T

the record spot

I hear you. My first experiences of music came thanks to a Dansette Viva record player and a Stella transistor radio back in the late 1960s. The latter played Radio Luxembourg on MW late at night and the signal came and went like waves on a shoreline. I was as much interested by the places on the radio - this was when they still had place names and not just frequencies. High quality it wasn't, but that didn't appear on my radar for some time to come!

A

Anonymous

with you on that R.S. Remember me own fingers twiddlin` the dials tryin` to keep the signal strong
emotion-2.gif

idc

I was spolied with parents and relatives with Sony and B&O all in one turntable/radio/cassette systems, but my little Awai boom box still managed to make the music sing.

A

Anonymous

Listening to late night local radio on weekends from the age of 14-15 to 18 when i really started to go out was my favorite. It was on a cheap radio but its jus so nice to be in bed in a dark bedroom listening to all kinds of tunes and talk on the box. Used to call in requests that some times got played and that was the real highlight.

I was a skater at the time (late 80s / early 90s) and someone always brought a good old boombox to the ramps pumping out NOFX, Dead kennedys, rancid, red hot, pennywise and suicidal tendencies. All these bands made fairly rubbish mastered albums and the boomboxes were not high end either but we didnt care.. was just great music. When i listen to these old favorites on my high end system it sounds even worse than on cheap boxes lol. So has things really improved in terms of music enjoyment with high end system? nope not really.

A

Anonymous

I used to love my Toshiba Walkman. yes the tape player was dodgy and any touching of the FFw or RW buttons was not a good idea as the batteries would die straight away but I loved it. It's best feature was a fantastic FM and AM radio that would pick up radio stations all over europe and did so most nights when I was meant to be asleep. It must have been the late eighties because Freiheit were all over the radio with " keeping the dream alive"

The Toshiba even had a three band graphic equalizer on the front which I was very proud of.

Get down.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
http://www.vintage-audio.com.ua/en/cat/416/2375.html

Bought the above from Saray's in Croydon in 1981 when I was 16 (It was bloody big!) after working for my dad all summer to pay for it (think it cost me £130). These were the midi hi-fis of the 80's and I loved it!. Even though it wasn't hi-fi, this is what lead me to proper hi-fi.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
My first Sony walkman. I think with some of these examples, even if you don't realise it isn't proper hi-fi at the time and/or still yeared for something better, it brings back great memories!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts