Advances in technology? Project Essential II better than a 1991 Ariston Pro Maxim?

SteveH3671

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

My old Ariston Pro Maxim has a dying motor that is emitting horrible noises and runs at about 200 rpm so I think it may be due for retirement. My question is, would a Project Essential II be equivalent to (or better than) my old Ariston given that the Ariston cost £210 in 1991 and the Project is £200 now (must be half the price if you think about 20+ years of inflation).

The Pro was a manual Q Deck, and my Pro Maxim has the Moth (RB250) arm with AT110E cartridge. Would the aluminium arm and Ortofon OM5E on the Essential II be a step down?

Important point is that in both cases ease of switching between 33 and 45 without lifting the platter is important given my mixed speed record collection. Hence the Ariston Pro instead of a Rega Planar 2, and the Essential II in preference to a Project Debut Carbon or Rega RP1.

Any opinions welcomed.

Welcome to the forum steveH. Not too sure about your Ariston but the RB250 arm is better than the arm on the Debut.

Progress would have been made on the cartridge front but think you would be better off replacing the OM5E with something a bit better if you want a real upgrade rather than a sideways move.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it would be a step down imo and I think you would hear a much more grainy reproduction of your records and the sound would lack weight and presence. I've just done up a Revolver turntable from the early 1990's, a similar price to the Ariston in its day, about £220, I think. I fitted an At 110e which I found on another turntable and it trounced a Pro-ject Debut 111 and I mean murdered it; the Pro-Ject had an Ortofon Om5e by the way. However, maybe the Essential is better than the Debut; I don't know. I would try and find a new motor if that's possible. Those old budget decks from the 90's take some beating because they seem to present music in a truly analogue way. Well, I know what I mean! The AT 110e is a brilliant cartridge for the money by the way and you can still find replacement styli.

SteveH3671

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the input, that's interesting, I guess vinyl playback was mature enough by the 90s that why should we expect THAT much advance in recent years. And I do like the sound I had.

I think I may try to pursue a repair then. I did get the motor out but it is pretty much unmarked and I wouldn't know how to get a properly compatible motor, but a professional may.

I also wondered about sticking the RB250 and AT110E on the Essential II chassis. I gues the arm probably wouldn't fit....

The RB 250 will probably fit, however may be best to get a dealer to help here.

One other option (a bit expensive I know) might be to replace motor with an Origin Live motor kit which has an external box for speed switching.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts