Adding a P777 to an AVR400

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Hi All

I have seen a second hand, year old, P777 for sale for £1800. I was thinking about using the pre outs and adding a P38 for the front 2 channels but as it seems I can get a nearly new P777 for a few pounds more its probably worth it.

If i get the P38 I cn get home demo from the local HiFi store but sadly I wont be able to with the P777 as its pick up only and a long way from my place so I wont really know if it works until I have paid for it and plugged it in which is not the best way to buy HiFi. Has anoyone else added a P777 to their receiver and did you get good results?

The speakers are KEF R300 front , R100 back , and R200 centre , REL sub. I also stream alll my music using a cyrus XP (going to get the QX upgrade in the new year)

The sound I get currently is great however is not quite as good a my old dedicated 2 channel Cyrus system. I am hopping that adding a decent dedicated power amp to the receiver and using the Pre ins for the Cyrus XP I can get much closer to the sound from a dedicated 2 channel system.

Cheers

Keith

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The P777 is a stunning amp which I have only heard it with the AV888. It should be a huge upgrade, with the AVR400 doing the processing. The only weak link will be the pre in the AVR400 for 2 channel....this I would live with until you see a cheap AV888! :shifty:

I never like anyone buying blind on my recommendation, but in your situation, that is what I would do (as a AVR600 owner).

Let us know what you decide, and how it goes.

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks , I have never heard one , feel a bit cheeky going to a store to get a demo when I have no intention of buying it from them. Would have gone for the 600 when I got the 400 but did not have enough cash at the time.

The other thing I was trying to work out is I Bi amp the front L & R which you can do on the P777 using analouge interconnects to connect up 2 amps. Has anyone done this? also does anyone know if you can get of the peg good quality short ones to keep things tidy at the back ?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If you heard the AVR600, then you have a very good idea of the sound.

I don't know the ins and outs of the connections.....the AVR600 works the same way as the 400 for bi-amping....ie. use channels 6&7 and change the setting in the menu.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts