Question Add a Sub or upgrade speakers?

Brian G

Jul 22, 2021
Visit site
I am currently running some Dali Oberon 3s through a Yamaha CA 610, (mostly off of a node 2i but occasionally CD and Vinal as well). I listen to all kinds of music but have little interest in home theater. While I love the Dali's speed and Dynamics, I find that a bit more presence on the lower end wouldn't go amis.

The Question then is this: should I add a small sub (thinking Rel HT/1003), or sell the Dali 3s and get something like a Q acoustics 3050i instead ? (I'm open to other suggestions in the price range).

Additional info: had Dalis less than 30 days and can easily return upgrade to the Qs for the same price as adding the sub since they were a floor demo model.

What is really lacking in your current system? If it is purely an octave or two more bass then change your speakers. Note that the lower frequency response between the two isn't great so the Q Accoustics might prove to be no better. Properly integrating a sub into it can be tricky.
rather than the added cost of a sub I would look at changing the Oberon 3 for the Oberon 5 assuming your room size permits

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian G

Brian G

Jul 22, 2021
Visit site
What is really lacking in your current system? If it is purely an octave or two more bass then change your speakers. Note that the lower frequency response between the two isn't great so the Q Accoustics might prove to be no better. Properly integrating a sub into it can be tricky.
rather than the added cost of a sub I would look at changing the Oberon 3 for the Oberon 5 assuming your room size permits
What's an extra fee hundred dollars between friends. That thought had also crossed my mind.

Brian G

Jul 22, 2021
Visit site
What's an extra fee hundred dollars between friends. That thought had also crossed my mind.
I should also add that I'm ok with a mid 40hz to mid 50hz low end on this system. I just find that the 3s lack some authority or presence below about 100-200hz. If I switch to my KA 3500 amp and mess around with EQ and compression, then I can actually get some decent lower frequency projection albeit with the loss of quite a lot of dynamics (if I wanted that I'd have bought Bose or Sonos).

I guess the answer is easy enough. My local store will let me trial the Qs and Oberon 5s. The sub idea OTOH I have no way of seeing with this system outside of a blind buy.

Although it might be amusing to see how much I can shake the floor

Brian G

Jul 22, 2021
Visit site
Well, I'm now running oberon 7s through a Rega Brio (both floor demos for a substantial discount). Great combination.

Thanks for the advice, all.

Side note, I did manage to try out the REL. Probably would have gone that route if I was more in to movies etc.

Brian G

Jul 22, 2021
Visit site
Well, I'm now running oberon 7s through a Rega Brio (both floor demos for a substantial discount). Great combination.

Thanks for the advice, all.

Side note, I did manage to try out the REL. Probably would have gone that route if I was more in to movies etc.
Oberon 5s*

TRENDING THREADS