Active speakers suggestions

Gok

Mar 22, 2006
Visit site
Hi all,

I want to jump on a all-in-one bandwagon and am looking for some active or powered stereo speakers with built-in dac capable of 24/96 min. Both USB (for music from my laptop) and Optical (for my TV) inputs are mandatory. The budget is around 1000 eur, more or less. So far, my options are as follows:

Q Acoustics Q-BT3 - great reviews and good price, but no USB input and I think not active;

Epoz AktiMate Blue - have everything I need, but not active and no relevant reviews except on WHF;

Dali Kubik Free + Xtra - nice reviews everywhere, have all inputs I need, fully active, but a little steep in price. Also, I can not find if the built-in USB DAC is asynchronous?

Any other suggestions?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Gok said:
Hi all,

I want to jump on a all-in-one bandwagon and am looking for some active or powered stereo speakers with built-in dac capable of 24/96 min. Both USB (for music from my laptop) and Optical (for my TV) inputs are mandatory. The budget is around 1000 eur, more or less. So far, my options are as follows:

Q Acoustics Q-BT3 - great reviews and good price, but no USB input and I think not active;

Epoz AktiMate Blue - have everything I need, but not active and no relevant reviews except on WHF;

Dali Kubik Free + Xtra - nice reviews everywhere, have all inputs I need, fully active, but a little steep in price. Also, I can not find if the built-in USB DAC is asynchronous?

Any other suggestions?

There are not many active speakers that have DAC and preamp integrated and even less with all the connections you want.

The AVI ADM9s are the obvious complete system, but without USB and also above budget.

Perhaps the best option is to go for something like the Marantz NR1504 and use that to feed a pair of monitors. look for the best deal on the Marantz to leave as much as possible for the speakers.

HERE is a good place to start looking.

NB: Monitors are often priced as individual speakers, be sure to confirm before ordering that you are getting a pair for the price and not just one.

Edit: The speakers that you have looked at so far will not give the same quality of sound or impact/volume as monitors in general.

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Gok said:
Any other suggestions?

How about the Quad 9AS, which seem to meet all your criteria? There's a WHSV review, but I have to say I heard a pair recently and am not sure I agree with the magazine's quibbles when it comes to snap and drive: they sound clean and refind to me, but with plenty of get up and go when required

Gok

Mar 22, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions, Overdose.

My intention is to clean up my living room as much as possible, so proposed receiver/monitor combo is a no-go. I also want to stop with the eternal-upgrade-but-never-satisfied path.

Powered monitors from the proposed site are all without DAC's as far as I can see. Aesthetics could also be problem, since they will live in my living room.

AVI's are a little above budget, but that is a smaller problem. The bigger one is that they are reluctant to give their speakers to reviewers, and their almost cult status is mostly anecdotical and attained only on online forums. Also, they have only optical inputs, and I belive that asynchronous USB interface is best if you can keep out electrical noise from laptop and ground loops at bay.

It seems to me that in this moment, Dali's are my best bet, given that there will be no new products this year (they usually appear in spring), what do you think?

Gok

Mar 22, 2006
Visit site
Yeah, I know about Quad's, I didn't mention them because of the half-favourable review at WHF, and I don't have a chance for audition in my country, so I must shop blind.

Thanks for describing your experience with their sound.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Gok said:
Thanks for the suggestions, Overdose.

My intention is to clean up my living room as much as possible, so proposed receiver/monitor combo is a no-go. I also want to stop with the eternal-upgrade-but-never-satisfied path.

Powered monitors from the proposed site are all without DAC's as far as I can see. Aesthetics could also be problem, since they will live in my living room.

AVI's are a little above budget, but that is a smaller problem. The bigger one is that they are reluctant to give their speakers to reviewers, and their almost cult status is mostly anecdotical and attained only on online forums. Also, they have only optical inputs, and I belive that asynchronous USB interface is best if you can keep out electrical noise from laptop and ground loops at bay.

It seems to me that in this moment, Dali's are my best bet, given that there will be no new products this year (they usually appear in spring), what do you think?

To address your concerns/points, the first of which is to avoid the upgraditis. You will need to get a quality system that displays a range of abilities that good hifi can offer, such as tonal accuracy, clarity and dynamic headroom for when things get loud. I don't personally believe that the systems mentioned in your first post will give you what you need in this regard.

The second is asynchronous USB connectivity. It does not provide galvanic isolation, some DACs do offer this over USB, but optical connection by virtue of the fact that only light is transmitted, achieves this better than any other method. I don't know how you wish to connect your laptop, but if you want a USB connection, you could use the cheap and unobtrusive Behringer UCA202/222.

If you did want to try out the ADMs, the AVI forum would be the place to ask the questions, as many owners are more than happy to let you hear them for yourself in a home environment, but that's up to you, your location may also rule out this option. They are though, one of the very few active options that offer a more traditional aesthetic with regards looks and at an earthly price.

As for reviews, they are all subjective, so you need to try and read between the lines, regardless of manufacturer. Other than the Quads, which I would imagine might sound a bit thin with a 4" mid/bass driver, you could try Dynaudio and have a look at the XEO range.

I have not heard the XEOs, but have had the BM5A monitors and though they were nice, were not as clear as the ADMs, nor as loud, although that is probably a moot point given that the BM5s were loud enough in most circumstances.

That pretty much covers it, but I would stress that spending a bit more to get exactly what you want would be cheaper in the long run, rather than having to upgrade a mistake due to budget constraints.

Hope this helps.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Gok said:
AVI's are a little above budget...

Second hand AVI speakers regularly come up for sale every few weeks on the AVI forum. I've recently picked up a pair of DM5's and a Yamaha receiver (to use as a DAC/pre) for a total of £630 on the 'buying and selling' section of the AVI forum.

ADM9's regularly sell for well under £1000. There will probably be plenty of them appearing next spring when people upgrade to the new DM10's.

Gok

Mar 22, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for suggestions, Overdose, I will look further into AVI's, especially ADM9RS.

I will stream music from my Windows laptop, so if I go for this option I would need additional USB/SPDIF converter (I don't have optical out on my laptop).

Dali Kubik + Xtra, from the other side, have both USB and optical inputs capable of 24/96, RCA inputs with sensitivity adjustment (200-900 mV), 3.5 mm input and APTX bluetooth for casual listening.

Performance-wise, they should not be bad at all - glaring reviews all over the net, they can go loud (103 dB max SPL), have a wide frequency range of 48-22000 Hz +/- 3 dB, and amps and DSP-based crossover specifically taylored for that 25mm tweeter and 5.25" woofer. Also, they are not picky with positioning since they are not ported.

Please don't take this as a marketing for Daly or insult to you, I just want to explore my options as objectively and honestly as I can, and the more I investigate, the more I am turning toward this option.

Regarding Dynaudio XEO range, the output of the transmitter is limited to 16/48 no matter the input. I like to have 24/96 option, if for no other reason but to check if I am able to hear the difference ('air', 'space', 'presence' or whatever it is) in hi-res files.

Anyhow, I intend to buy after Christmas when the deals are good, so plenty of time to change my mind :)

With best regards,

Goran

Gok

Mar 22, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions Steve, I will keep AVI on my options list.

Your thread here about your experience with DM5 has been very helpful and informative for me.

Best rgds,

Goran

Gok

Mar 22, 2006
Visit site
Just spent few hours on AVI forums.

It seems Ashley&Co are unusually open and honest, and very informative too!!!

Gok

Mar 22, 2006
Visit site
After Christmas, please
tounge_smile.gif

Gok

Mar 22, 2006
Visit site
Well, it seams that market for this type of product is still in its infancy, and there is not much choice out there...
broken_heart.gif

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Gok said:
Well, it seams that market for this type of product is still in its infancy, and there is not much choice out there...

Unfortunatlly that seems to be the case. :( With the exception of AVI ADM9's or Dynaudio Xeo's you'd probably be better off getting some regular active speakers from a reputable company such as Genelec and using them with a separate DAC/pre-amp.

On a side note this product from Teufel looks like it could make a good partner for a pair of regular active speakers: http://www.teufelaudio.com/accessories/decoderstation-5-mk2-p11757.html

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Another, cheaper option is Audio Pro.

They make the LV2e, LV3 and LV33 fully active speakers.

All active, and all use wireless transmission.

I heard the LV2 and liked them, they were excellent especially for the size.

They look good too (bound in leather)

www.audiopro.com

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
If you can get the TV onto the wifi network, then look at the Nocs NS2 v2 wireless speakers with AirPlay, bluetooth and Spotify Connect. They are active.

Gok

Mar 22, 2006
Visit site
Now, this is more like it. Thanks for the replies, guys!!!

I was barely aware of the Audio Pro, although they have a five star product at WHF.

Nocks - I didn't know this brand until now, although NS2 is their sole product, and it is on the smallish side.

Nupert - it seems like a serious loudspeaker company, with excellent reviews in Germany!

I will also check Genelec, AVI and Dynaudio.

I will search as much info as I can find, and report back with my favorites in the price range <1000 eur.

Gok

Mar 22, 2006
Visit site
OK, let's nail it:

The market for active speakers with built-in DAC and both optical and USB inputs for around 1000 eur is VERY limited, and keeping in mind above requirements, then it appears that:

AVI DM5 don't have digital inputs and ADM9RS are outside of my price range;

Dynaudio Xeo 3 are outside of my price range;

Genelec G-Series don't have digital inputs;

Epoz AktiMate Blue are powered, not active (I am not 100% sure about this);

Nocs are too small and Apple-oriented;

Quad 9AS are too tiny (4" bass driver),

Audio Pro LV3 are outside of my price range,

I am left with the following:

Dali Kubik Free + Xtra,

Audio Pro Living LV2e, and

Nubert NuPro series A-100, A-200 and A-300 (thanks, Broner!!!).

Now, does anyone actually own any of these speakers?

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You're welcome. A little while ago I was also looking into the Nubert Nupro series ( a-200- but eventually decided on somewhat cheaper 2nd hand monitors). I haven't heard the speakers and when I enquired here a while ago, nobody else did. I suppose that has a lot to do with the fact that this is mostly a UK based forum and few hi-fi products from germany are bought.

If you buy those speakers I'm sure many people would like to read about your experiences.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Broner said:
You're welcome. A little while ago I was also looking into the Nubert Nupro series ( a-200- but eventually decided on somewhat cheaper 2nd hand monitors). I haven't heard the speakers and when I enquired here a while ago, nobody else did. I suppose that has a lot to do with the fact that this is mostly a UK based forum and few hi-fi products from germany are bought.

If you buy those speakers I'm sure many people would like to read about your experiences.
My experriences on this forum is that when something not know much about, no one really says much all wants to contribute at all. Is there a problem when german products are mentioned..? I may be wrong, but its becoming too much of a coincedence.

Gok

Mar 22, 2006
Visit site
I agree. Many products aside from UK and USA are not even reviewed here.

Great products from companies with impeccable reputation and many decades of existence are not even tested here, and probably mentioned only by forum members which live outside of the UK (companies like Nubert, Genelec, Teufel and many others).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts