Active Speakers - Pro World - Alternatives to ADM 9T - Advice Please

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I am coming from HT world after getting very claustrophobic from pre/pro + Power Amps + 5 Speakers and spending more time in tuning the system. I understand that many members here share a common hobby of discussing and experimenting the equipment which is part of the fun along with listening to the music.

My interest level in the equipment hobby has gone weak and I would prefer a simpler solution like ADM9T (DAC+Active speakers with sub out). However I am looking for alternative to ADM 9T as those speakers for me ONLY after an AUDITION (given the mystic truth about the performance of these speakers especially on many forums. I trust the other members on this forum who guided me the right way but at the end of the day I still have to listen to them).

Aafter a light reading, I understand that Professional World is filled with Active Speakers as monitors. I do not understand monitors. Are they supposed to be very neutral and bland or is there more to monitors? What is near field vs mid field or other terms? Are there any such active monitors that work for home purpose (for 6m X 4m room)? I read good about Adam S3A but the design & looks feel so different from a regular home speaker.

A built in DAC is ideal for me and with a budget of say 3000 Pounds (I am completely at peace with used but not abused market)

Kindly help me with suggestions.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
As far as I know the AVI's are in several respects relatively unique, some of which you mentioned; built-in DAC, pre-amp, remote etc. so there won't be to many alternatives.

You can audition AVI's by the way. Give Ashley James a call.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
There is also the AVI Neutron 5.2.1 system that uses the highly rated AVI Neutron V bookshelf speakers and an active sub. The sub unit contains remote control pre-amp & DAC and three 100 watt amps (one each for the Neutrons and one for the sub).

The manufacturer's write-up (in the link above) seems to ring very closely with what you just said about selling up and simplifying your whole HT and hi-fi set-up

The Neutron 5.2.1 system has a little more flexibility than the ADM9Ts due to having 4 optical inputs and USB and an analogue input too. (The ADM9Ts only have two optical inputs and no USB provision.)

Also - unlike the ADM9Ts - you don't need to budget for a seperate sub. The £1299 includes it.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
If your patient, you will be able to get a used pair of ATC scm50a(sl)'s for under 3k. And there are plenty of Dac options for little money these days. The Matrix mini i being one that has a built in volume control also so it can drive active speakers directly.

Another option is a new pair of Event Opal's. They are a 2way active monitor for about £2100 a pair. Look on youtube for vids.

There are many much cheaper active monitors that are also very good from KRK, Genelec, Adam, and Tannoy to name a few.

The nearfield monitor is usually smaller like a standmount, meant for use on the mixing desk up close, but should work fine in small to medium sized rooms.
The midfield monitor is usually a larger(but often still standmount) design like the ATC scm50. These are better for medium to large rooms.
I use my scm50's in my 5x5.5m living room and they are perfect for it.

Cheers
Matt

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the inputs. I will keep a look out and I am also going for an auditioning of some more standard HiFi kit in next month (The usual DAC + Integrated + Speakers).

I will keep us posted.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts