active monitors

jizer

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
has anybody tried using pro-active monitors instead of normal passive speakers,being active they should be better controlled and more accurate many have room corection adjustments,ive been looking at adam audio s3x and they look to be a good buy,how many people have bought new speakers or amps home to find they boom or sound lifeless in their rooms,and there is nothing you can do about it,i agree tone controlls have a downside but to me listening to my non audiophile cds they can be usefull,and remember after the signal has gone from cd to amp it then hits a power hungry distortion inducing crossover,

A

Anonymous

Bit late in posting a reply but then I have been on holiday and just noticed your post. I totally agree that pro-audio monitors can provide very cost effective music making solutions but generally are overlooked. True they are designed as near field monitors but many do work well in a domestic situation as I've found myself with the cheapie Roland DS5's I bought for my bedroom. At it's simplest (the Rolands have an in-built DAC) my "bedroom system" consists of nothing more than the pair of speakers and an Apple Airport Express feeding them wirelessly using Airfoil a variety of sources mostly Spotify and FLAC files from one of my PC's.

Total cost about 400 GBP (not including the PC and Ipod Touch I use as a remote and had anyway) neat unobtrusive sounds pretty good certainly better I'd say that your average micro system and (thanks to the internet and wireless streaming) providing access to a much wider spread of source material.

Course it's not "Hi-Fi" whatever that means but it provides me with a very pleasant listening experience so I'm happy. You're 100% correct in my opinion about the crossovers in passive speakers by the way. Much of audio is a compromise but crossover networks are one of the worst. I'm currently toying with the idea of "cannabilising" a set of Mission floor standers I have by removing the passive crossovers and bolting on a pair of the excellent Hypex plate amps which have provision to set cross over frequency through software and again have built in DACs. Could even go with something like the Behringer 24/96 DCX and a pair of dual mono amps I quite fancy building from kits. But then working in the Middle East I do have a lot of time on my hands.

For me active is definately the way to go but for your average audio/HiFi hobbyist it's probably anathema as there wouldn't be enough tweaking or cables to agonise over.

Maybe it's a good thing more people don't shop for "Hi-Fi" in pro audio shops it'll only drive prices up
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts