Acoustic Energy ref. 1 & 2 ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Firstly, thanks for the write-up Benlaw! Totally missed this (Been doing numerous shows lately) I'm glad you liked the Ref 2's, we do try!

Eric: We don't get the chance to hear every amp out there but I can safely recommend the Naim Supernait as this is what the speakers were designed on. I have heard very good feedback using them on Bryston and Plinius also. They are are fairly easy load and average sensitivity so will technically work pretty well with most product around the same price point.

A

Anonymous

AEJim said:
Eric: We don't get the chance to hear every amp out there but I can safely recommend the Naim Supernait as this is what the speakers were designed on. I have heard very good feedback using them on Bryston and Plinius also. They are are fairly easy load and average sensitivity so will technically work pretty well with most product around the same price point.

Jim; Thanks for your recomandation.

How about Roksan M2 or K2? Any comment?

sometimesuk

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
To add my two pence worth, I've had the reference 2's since about August last year.

I have to say, I am very happy with them. Finish wise, everyone that has seen them, is really impressed by the finish.

Sound wise, they are very clean and also very easy to listen to, not laid back, they just sound right. I havent noticed any problems at either of the frequency extremes, most likely a reflection of what they are being fed with.

I think, the greatest compliment I can give them, is that I know that I can put on any genre of music, and it handles each the same, to a very high standard. I'm listening to the music and not thinking oh, it sounds better with this type of music / recording, I can just shove on whatever and enjoy it.

To be fair, I think What Hifi review of the reference 1's is very much what I found.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/acoustic-energy-reference-1

sometimesuk

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
To add my two pence worth, I've had the reference 2's since about August last year.

I have to say, I am very happy with them. Finish wise, everyone that has seen them, is really impressed by the finish.

Sound wise, they are very clean and also very easy to listen to, not laid back, they just sound right. I havent noticed any problems at either of the frequency extremes, most likely a reflection of what they are being fed with.

I think, the greatest compliment I can give them, is that I know that I can put on any genre of music, and it handles each the same, to a very high standard. I'm listening to the music and not thinking oh, it sounds better with this type of music / recording, I can just shove on whatever and enjoy it.

To be fair, I think What Hifi review of the reference 1's is very much what I found.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/acoustic-energy-reference-1

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Eric: I've not heard the Roksans with the Reference but did hear one of them a few years back on some AE1 Classics and was impressed with how it controlled them, should be fine with the Ref 1's and from the reviews the character would match well. Always best to demo with your own equipment if possible!

Sometimesuk: Great to hear your comments, thank you! That "listen-through" character is exactly what I try to get from all our speakers, if there's any single thing that stands out to me when listening I try to get rid of it because it will distract. The music is what matters. I hope this is the case through all our ranges, the better the product the more clarity, depth, power etc but that overall character of "musicality" is the goal. The speakers can't be musical themselves but I've heard many that impede the music far more than they should!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
AEJim said:
that overall character of "musicality" is the goal. The speakers can't be musical themselves but I've heard many that impede the music far more than they should!

I agree entirely with this approach, and I'd say you've done a marvellous job of realising this philosophy with these speakers :)

A

Anonymous

Hi All,

Im hoping AE Jim will be reading this

Firstly Im a big AE fan.

Currently I have 2 systems using AE Speakers, one using AE100s and the second main system using a pair of Linear 3s.

The Main system is vinyl based with an Inspire HiFi Eclipse SE TT, MF XLPSv3 and PSU, Morgan Audio Deva 500 Valve Pre and Power amps custom built for me for Morgans desiner Robin Stephens and of course the speakers are the Linear 3s.

The speaker location isnt ideal as the room is a dedicated Home Cinema/ Music room Built above the garage dims are 2.6 x 7.5 and as a consequence the speakers are close to the corners. Due to some booming the Pre Amp has been built outputting all but the lowest frequencies to the Power Amp and the lowest out putting to a Rel Strata.

I must admit I love the look of the Reference 2s, would these be suitable given the limitations of the room?

The reference series did catch my eye early last year but just as I was looking to demo and buy my workload was drastically cut (the joys of being freelance)

Things have changed and once again Im in the situation were I can start looking at speakers again :)

What are your thoughts

Regards

John

Tiresias

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a question I'd like to throw out.

I am currently using Acoustic Energy AE2 Mk1 and very happy with them.

Howevver, I'd like to upgrade sometime in the near future so my question is this, will Acoustic Energy be producing the Reference 2 in another finish?

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Tiresias said:
I have a question I'd like to throw out.

I am currently using Acoustic Energy AE2 Mk1 and very happy with them.

Howevver, I'd like to upgrade sometime in the near future so my question is this, will Acoustic Energy be producing the Reference 2 in another finish?

Hi Tiresias,

I'm glad you've enjoyed your AE2's, they're still very competitive speakers at any price!

For now there are no plans to introduce any more finishes to the Reference range, there has been some limited call for a gloss black from a couple of distributors but nothing has been scheduled in production at present.

Tiresias

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi AE jim,

Thanks for the reply.

That's good to hear and also that others have requested another finish.

The Ebony and the silver driver's are good. However, one needs to have a little more choice.

I am very happy with my current AE2's which are driven by Audiolab 8200MB's and an Audiolab M DAC.

Gloss black would have me reaching for my wallet.

I live in hope Matt49.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts