Acoustic Energy ref. 1 & 2 ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I know the matching stands are mentioned in the review and this thread, and it may be a bit cheeky while the manufacturer is around (sorry Jim), but using either of these speakers with my existing Partington Super Dreadnoughts is not going to be a complete disaster, is it? I have read the reasoning behind the custom stand being the perfect match, but having bought Partingtons not that long ago I'd like to keep 'em.

Definitely going to be looking for a demo in the next few months (current speakers = Focus 110 which I love but bit boomy in my room on occasion).

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
datay said:
I know the matching stands are mentioned in the review and this thread, and it may be a bit cheeky while the manufacturer is around (sorry Jim), but using either of these speakers with my existing Partington Super Dreadnoughts is not going to be a complete disaster, is it? I have read the reasoning behind the custom stand being the perfect match, but having bought Partingtons not that long ago I'd like to keep 'em.

Definitely going to be looking for a demo in the next few months (current speakers = Focus 110 which I love but bit boomy in my room on occasion).

Hi Datay,

No worries! I'll leave it to Rick or someone to comment on other stands, I haven't got any Super Dreadnaughts here to test unfortunately.

The constrained layer stands were definitely an improvement on our old AE1 Stands and the four column ones we bought in for the SE's, both of which were heavy mass-loaded designs. The benefit of the constrained layer was that the speaker still had life and "bounce" that the heavy stands could rob a little but controlled the resonances, especially floor to top-plate just as well (and better than light, rigid open-frame designs generally do). I've heard the Super Dreadnaughts in the past but can't remember what character they had now, I do remember liking them though! :)

Cheers,

Jim.

A

Anonymous

Ref Stands.

I think the matching stands look fab and if I end up buying some Ref 1's the stands will defnitely sell them to my good lady! So many speaker stands look like, well speaker stands, ugly columns of metal. At least AE have designed a nice stylish as well as functional accesory and the price doesn't seem that bad either. Regardless of sound the Ref 1's and stands do look the part so well done there. Must get myself an audition and when I do I will not have any problems at all in bringing my wife with me. She used to not bother about hi fi much but since a visit to Manchester Show she has become interested. Trouble is she seems to have developed some seriously expensive tastes in what we should buy, full Naim kit, Ovator speakers, Michell turntables etc etc. Must make a point of keeping What Hi Fi at work from now on.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
nick8858 said:
Ref Stands.

I think the matching stands look fab and if I end up buying some Ref 1's the stands will defnitely sell them to my good lady! So many speaker stands look like, well speaker stands, ugly columns of metal. At least AE have designed a nice stylish as well as functional accesory and the price doesn't seem that bad either. Regardless of sound the Ref 1's and stands do look the part so well done there. Must get myself an audition and when I do I will not have any problems at all in bringing my wife with me. She used to not bother about hi fi much but since a visit to Manchester Show she has become interested. Trouble is she seems to have developed some seriously expensive tastes in what we should buy, full Naim kit, Ovator speakers, Michell turntables etc etc. Must make a point of keeping What Hi Fi at work from now on.

Sounds like the makings of a great system! Though it may well lead to re-mortgaging the house or taking on an additional job to finance! ;)

Glad you like the stands, I did try to make them visually as subtle as I could, just a brief point on the price (without meaning to get "salesy"), the WHF review didn't mention that they are discounted when purchased with the speakers by 30% (to £210). Every little helps!

Jim.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
Sorry for barging in on the subject.

(Fishing for clues): Tonally, how do AEs compare to say MAs RS range?

Piggy backing on p.p,s question .Also compared to atc 11,s. :)

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
I think Rick is probably one of the few people who can answer that on this forum! I've only heard the MA's at shows so hardly a fair comparison (even if I were ethically able to compare the two!) and I don't ever remember hearing the ATC's - I definitely need to spend more time checking out the competition at the next show! :D

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
AEJim said:
datay said:

Hi Datay,

No worries! I'll leave it to Rick or someone to comment on other stands, I haven't got any Super Dreadnaughts here to test unfortunately.

The constrained layer stands were definitely an improvement on our old AE1 Stands and the four column ones we bought in for the SE's, both of which were heavy mass-loaded designs. The benefit of the constrained layer was that the speaker still had life and "bounce" that the heavy stands could rob a little but controlled the resonances, especially floor to top-plate just as well (and better than light, rigid open-frame designs generally do). I've heard the Super Dreadnaughts in the past but can't remember what character they had now, I do remember liking them though! :)

Cheers,

Jim.

Thanks Jim. They are a great looking stand.

AEJim said:
I think Rick is probably one of the few people who can answer that on this forum! I've only heard the MA's at shows so hardly a fair comparison (even if I were ethically able to compare the two!) and I don't ever remember hearing the ATC's - I definitely need to spend more time checking out the competition at the next show! :D

Jim - wish you had dealers in Surrey. They're a bit thin on the ground in the SE of England. I think Audio-T, Epsom (now closed down) stocked them years ago, other than that, there's nowt.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
AEJim said:

Jim - wish you had dealers in Surrey. They're a bit thin on the ground in the SE of England. I think Audio-T, Epsom (now closed down) stocked them years ago, other than that, there's nowt.

Yeah, we stripped all the dealers back a couple of years ago and have been building them up since (to solve silly pricing online issues mainly) - our UK rep is from Liverpool so I have to persuade him to visit the South East more often! I think Harrow Audio are probably your nearest main dealer at the moment...

AEJim said:
plastic penguin said:
AEJim said:

Yeah, we stripped all the dealers back a couple of years ago and have been building them up since (to solve silly pricing online issues mainly) - our UK rep is from Liverpool so I have to persuade him to visit the South East more often! I think Harrow Audio are probably your nearest main dealer at the moment...

Yeah, there's also a dealer in Kent. On both accounts it means using the car-park... sorry, M25. I know from personal experience (living just 4 miles from junction 10) it's to be avoided at all costs.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
AEJim said:
plastic penguin said:
AEJim said:

Yeah, there's also a dealer in Kent. On both accounts it means using the car-park... sorry, M25. I know from personal experience (living just 4 miles from junction 10) it's to be avoided at all costs.

I know the feeling all too well having been the National Rep myself for a few years! I stay resolutely in the office as often as possible nowadays! :)

A

Anonymous

AEJim said:
plastic penguin said:
AEJim said:

Hello Jim, i know i,ve mentioned this before, but would you know if your rep has dropped any ref1,s off at f. harvey of coventry for dem,s ? :)

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
FATS 2828 said:
AEJim said:
plastic penguin said:
AEJim said:

Hello Jim, i know i,ve mentioned this before, but would you know if your rep has dropped any ref1,s off at f. harvey of coventry for dem,s ? :)

I'm not sure Fats, he's welcome to but I don't know what his plans are (I try not to get too involved in sales nowadays as I've got enough on my plate!). I have a feeling Frank Harvey are happy with the lines they already stock at the moment though so it may be why he hasn't taken any there as yet!

Like I said before, we can certainly arrange a home demo if you're seriously considering it - after all it's far better to know how they'll sound on your own system and room. No pressure! :) I do understand it would be good to try other comparison speakers at the same time though.

I'll have a chat with our rep on Tuesday when I'm back in the office and see what his plans are...

A

Anonymous

AEJim said:
FATS 2828 said:
AEJim said:
plastic penguin said:
AEJim said:

I'm not sure Fats, he's welcome to but I don't know what his plans are (I try not to get too involved in sales nowadays as I've got enough on my plate!). I have a feeling Frank Harvey are happy with the lines they already stock at the moment though so it may be why he hasn't taken any there as yet!

Like I said before, we can certainly arrange a home demo if you're seriously considering it - after all it's far better to know how they'll sound on your own system and room. No pressure! :) I do understand it would be good to try other comparison speakers at the same time though.

I'll have a chat with our rep on Tuesday when I'm back in the office and see what his plans are...

Thanks Jim, I would prefer to compare the ref1's to other speakers. According their web site they are advertising them for sale. But when i enquired about ref 1's they were not expecting any for demo's. Maybe Dave [f. harveys] could throw some light on the subject ? :) P.S If it was just on the aesthetics alone they would be in my lounge already. One last thing how long for delivery ? :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
AEJim said:

We're always open to new brands/products (although I believe the account is already in place).

FATS 2828 said:
Thanks Jim, I would prefer to compare the ref1's to other speakers. According their web site they are advertising them for sale. But when i enquired about ref 1's they were not expecting any for demo's. Maybe Dave [f. harveys] could throw some light on the subject ? :)

The rep hasn't been in touch with us recently as far as I know, but he's more than welcome to. We usually have a good listen to stuff before taking it on and assess it's worth in relation to what we already have. If we feel it has something unique to offer, we take it on - if it only offers what others are already offering, there's not really much point. I'm sure we can arrange something for you FATS.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
AEJim said:

We're always open to new brands/products (although I believe the account is already in place).

FATS 2828 said:
Thanks Jim, I would prefer to compare the ref1's to other speakers. According their web site they are advertising them for sale. But when i enquired about ref 1's they were not expecting any for demo's. Maybe Dave [f. harveys] could throw some light on the subject ? :)

The rep hasn't been in touch with us recently as far as I know, but he's more than welcome to. We usually have a good listen to stuff before taking it on and assess it's worth in relation to what we already have. If we feel it has something unique to offer, we take it on - if it only offers what others are already offering, there's not really much point. I'm sure we can arrange something for you FATS.
Fair comment David , :) :) One day i'm going to be able to purchase some speakers ........*!*!*...mumble, mumble

A

Anonymous

AEJim said:
FATS 2828 said:
AEJim said:
plastic penguin said:
AEJim said:

Hello Jim , any luck wth your rep. ? :)

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi Fats,

Just got off the phone with him! We can certainly sort something out. As demo pairs are limited we'll need to figure out the best times etc. Please drop me an email with your contact details ( jluce@acoustic-energy.co.uk ) or you can call Phil the rep direct on his business phone - 07958 797402 and we'll figure out the easiest solution!

If the mods would prefer this to go via direct mail please pass along the details direct to Fats!

Cheers,

Jim.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Had a demo of the AE Reference 2s today. Still delighted with my 40s and not looking to change and these are not a speaker I've read much about, so went in with an entirely open mind.

First, there are few speakers at this price point (including the 40s) of such high fit and finish and which will give such pride of ownership:

AERef2.jpg

They really are beautiful looking things, and the curved edges and corners are superbly tactile.

Using fairly familiar electronics and my own music, I was also very impressed (most importantly) with the sound quality. Very good detail, very good imaging, very good separation and surprisingly large bass output for a standmounters with relatively small drive units. Music was nicely textured and it was an exciting 'toe/foot tapping' listen without being wearying even over a fairly long session.

If I had a small criticism it would be of slight weakness at both frequency extremes: whilst they went deep, the lowest bass notes ran into each other somewhat and the very highest treble didn't integrate quite perfectly. Nonetheless, these were minor gripes in a truly superb speaker. I also suspect that in a slightly less 'lively' listening environment both these criticisms would be ameliorated.

I would encourage anyone looking for new speakers at around the £2k point to have a demo of these :)

A

Anonymous

Hi;

I am new in WHF, I also interesting in AE ref. 1, but I am wondering what's the best Amp. matching.

Please recommend !

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts