Acoustic Energy AE 309 speakers

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Hello What are folks opinions on these speakers? I am looking at a set on Ebay currently and would be partnering them with my Arcam integrated 9 amp and 9P power amp. I have currently B&W 602 S3's on Atacama SE24 stands and the room is about 15' by 11' - It's my upstairs bedroom/listening room (no bed, well its a sofa bed on the back wall opposite the speakers and hifi etc...) I'm into all sorts of music, anything from Hed Kandi to Norah Jones to System of a Down to Moby etc... When i first started out in HiFi i had an Arcam 6+ amp and AE 109s where were brilliant. Since then i stayed with Arcam as i found that compared to Rotel, Nad, Marantz and Cambridge Audio, Arcam/B&W suit my music tastes better. At one point i had Arcam 10 and 10P powering my B&W 604s but then traded that in for a Bose Lifestyle 48 as moved house and wanted surround sound (as well as a new car so couldnt keep both systems :( ) I jyst feel that the current B&W's arent doing my Arcams any justice due to the size of the room, I am watching a set of 603s and a set of 604s on Ebay currently but know they will fetch hell of alot more than the AE 309s, but never having heard these, i wanted to see if anoyone else has and what their opinion was. Thanks :)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
At the price they're at right now they look like a steal, and unless they skyrocket over the next 29 hours I reckon they'll be a great buy. They'll certainly work well with the rest of your system.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Hello Andrew

Thanks for the response. I will be watching them carefully.

I have seen another set of Acoustic Energy speakers on Ebay too, the AE Neo 3 series floorstanders.

Do you have an opinion of these. Bear in mind that i have a wide taste in music. Mainy Leftfield, Layo & Bushwacker to Hed Kandi & Fischerspooner currently, along side some metal, rock and chill-out music. So obviously i like my music to be bassy but really want the clarity of mid and treble also!

Thanks for any advice (Andrew and anyone else)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
To be honest B&W are perfectly matched for your taste in music IMO.

I know what you mean about Leftfield too, pure quality

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JoelSim"]To be honest B&W are perfectly matched for your taste in music IMO.

I know what you mean about Leftfield too, pure quality[/quote]

They are good :)

I cant stop listening to Rhythm & Stealth currently. My girlfiends Mum really likes that CD on her system (Cyrus 8 amp and CD player and B&W CM7 speakers) Ok for some haha...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Your girlfriend's mum has a Cyrus system? Wow

My claim to fame is that my girlfriend had a thing with Bushwacka and one of Galliano, and knows Sancho Panza really well

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Yes!

My GF's folks asked me to take them HiFi shopping with a budget of £4k but they wanted minimal seperates and v good speakers so i couldnt of helped them choose better for their music tastes!

They also got the Sony DAVIS10 surround system (another What HiFi 5 start surround system) which i must say is bloody amazing!

My GF's mum really likes my eclectic taste in music so i'm shopping on Amazon as we speak for the CDs that she's pinched off me!

Sancho Panza - Theres a name ive not heard in a while, had some of his stuff and really liked it... Hmmm... Amazon!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
They're good mates with L&B and always do Notting Hill Carnival and afterparty together. They're nice guys, last time I saw Jim (Jimmy K-Tel) we managed to get through a few bottles of Vino and a bottle of Sambuca over Sunday lunch. Laughs!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Got Leftism on now, R&S seems to have got lost on the shelf somewhere. Get some James Lavelle CDs, also top quality. I have to say a minimal hifi system...Cyrus. LOL!

What have you got?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="d_a_n1979"]Hello Andrew

I have seen another set of Acoustic Energy speakers on Ebay too, the AE Neo 3 series floorstanders.

Do you have an opinion of these. [/quote]

I'd keep an eye on them both, but concentrate on the 309s

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JoelSim"]What's the best system you've ever heard Andrew?[/quote]

Heard a lot of stupid money systems which were ho-hum, and a lot of stupidly cheap systems that had me smiling. Still have a lot of time for my ancient Michaelson Audio Chronos amps running into the big PMCs I use now, when I can be bothered to haul them out and have a play.

But never yet heard a system that had me thinking 'that's it, won't bother auditioning any more'. Been doing this 20+ years and still makiing discoveries - that's part of the fun of doing what I do.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I have to say I went to your show and nothing struck me as being much better than what I have, I suppose at a push the turntable and Wilson Benesch Squares were pretty good, but the Naim, Cyrus rooms were nothing special comparatively

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
[quote user="d_a_n1979"]Hello Andrew

Do you have an opinion of these. [/quote]

I'd keep an eye on them both, but concentrate on the 309s
[/quote]

Hi Andrew / Joel

Thanks for all advice on these speakers. I won them on Ebay today so very happy. Feel that i got them at a cracking price too.

Cant wait to connect them up to my system and get some good music playing!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts