Abrahamsen... electro

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
+1 I totally agree before we do not have a hifi shops to go to because they will all end up online if we do not support them as shops are closing all over the place .

Take the other day I went to Cambridge I hadn’t been for a long time and I couldn’t believe how many shops that had closed down big and small shops and big named shops it’s getting very hard out there .

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
BigH said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
I had a abrahamsen 2up it was a very good amplifier with no issues in the 12 months I owned one but i had issues with my abrahamsen 2up CD player as mine was faulty out of

Your better of spending the money on a brand that you can get it fixed easily with a good warranty as you do not need the hassle of sending a abrahamsen back it’s just not worth it I would support your local hifi dealer because if there is a problem they will sort it for you and you haven’t got to travel miles to get what ever you buy fixed .

You've had bad reliability with the yamies also though
yes I agree you do with any product but when I’ve had a problem I can just go down the road locally and get it fixed and have 3 years warranty on on what I brought

You can’t really say that about abrahamsen products because there is no warranty or service backup in the uk and personally I wouldn’t touch abrahamsen products again .

The abrahamsen amplifier is good but there better amplifiers out there but the abrahamsen is good value for money that’s the trouble but in regards of after sales service that sucks

Because I feel the abrahamsen products should of been properly supported by more then one dealer and have a proper service network in the uk for abrahamsen products so if you have a issue of some kind it’s quickly sorted out for the customer .

If you buy any kind of main stream hifi products in the uk and you have a problem with it like I did with the abrahamsen CD player having issues right out of the box and then waiting months to get it sorted out is wrong I should of got a replacement not waiting 3 or 4 months waiting for abrahamsen to send a new cd mechanism and if I brought a CD player say from richer sounds and it went wrong you would take it back and they would replace it without any bother .

So I think they shouldn’t sell a product that they can’t support properly in this country simply really

You have had 2 Yamaha amps and both have gone wrong, believe the last one you did not buy locally. I understand CDPs these days are not very reliable. I agree buying locally with a long warranty is preferable but some people don't have that option. You can always send by the post or courier. My experience of Richers is they are not reliable, both items I tried at their store did not work, if they are going to sell something they should check it works, wasted 100 mile round trip.

jjbomber

Blacksabbath25 said:
Take the other day I went to Cambridge I hadn’t been for a long time and I couldn’t believe how many shops that had closed down big and small shops and big named shops it’s getting very hard out there .

It's impossible to park in Cambridge, that's why. Brighton is still the worst but Cambridge is a close second.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
paulkebab said:
I don't know where the modules are sourced from but the class A part of the Nord is the input buffer which can be swapped out to suit one's taste. Essentially then it's a hybrid although it will obviously run in this mode right up to max power. Is that right or have I misinterpreted something?

I was referring to the stand alone pre- amp only , not the integrated or power amps.

But I still could be wrong . *smile*

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
Electro said:
plastic penguin said:
I know you love the product. I totally get that. However, you did say to me a few years ago that Electro's issues while Per was at the helm, they had a number of reliability issues.

Innovative person? Can't question that, but there's a huge difference between being Innovative and a good business person. When it comes to business acumen (reliable products, good network of dealers yada yada yada...) Per has fallen well short.

I know that two of Electro's dealers, one in Devon (can't remember their name) and Igloo Audio in Kent both now don't stock Electrocompaniet.

The highlighted is true there was a short period before the Westcontrol takeover when there was a problem with supply and minor reliability problems but that was quickly sorted out after the takeover.

Westcontrol pumped a lot of money and a great deal of expertise especially in the digital and software side of the buisiness and also commissioned a lot of new products , they also bought another HiFi amplifier company called Dynamic Precision .

http://picbear.club/dynamic.precision.of.norway

Many of the Original staff were retained but Per Abrahamsen decided to go his own way and continue with his first love.

Yes a few of the dealers have droped off recently but it seems to go in cycles.

Most UK dealers want to stock products with a high turnover and a new model every year and Electrocompaniet is not that sort of company.

It seems to be a UK only problem for Electrocompaniet the rest of the world loves their buisiness style and products .

So once again it comes down to the fact that anyone vaguely intested in a brand and lives in the UK has to have faith and buy blind with the knowledge that if things go wrong they will have to pay handsomely to ship the item abroad for repairs.

Whilst I might not have issues doing this for amplifiers I may very well baulk at doing so for any other items of equipment.

Support your local UK manufacturer I say. ;-)

...... and I did. There's plenty of other brilliant options out there.

I bought my first Electro amps after listening to many of the alternatives as I was lucky enough to have an excellent relationship with my local HiFi shop ( Rayleigh HiFi ) who would lend me anything I asked for even if they did not deal with the companies that sold the products that I wanted to listen to.

They even opened accounts with distribitors just to get me what I asked for regardless of whether they wanted to stock that particular brand, so I had access to virtually anything I wanted to listen to at home for as long as I wanted in most cases .

This was the case with my first Electrocompaniet amps ( EC 4.7 PRE AW120 DMB stereo power amp) , they opened an account with Fred at Castle Acoustics who was the importer at that time an got them in for me to try.

I compared them to Krell , Linn , Naim , Audiolab, Meridian, Bryston, Cyrus, Sugden, and almost all of the other amps available at the time and the Electro's were so much better in every area there was no competition at all .

The only other amps I was tempted by was the Sugden pre / power combo that was double the price of the Electro combination but afer a while it was clear the Electro just outclassed the sugden especially at higher volumes where the Sugden just let go and lost control.

So I tried to support my local UK manufacturers but my ears said no ! *smile*

It all depends on how far you are willing to go to get the best sounding equipment you can .

Edit.

If anyone wants to hear what all the fuss is about you are welcome to come and listen for youself, just let me know and I will give you an email address.

D

Deleted member 160668

Thanks all for replies and thoughts. Certainly a mixed bag of opinion.

Still interested in the Abe. But this is not an immediate thing, needs to be Oct plus before any big changes.

Also need to decide order of swaps/upgrade to appease Mrs Amor as cant all be at once.

Plan to go new amp, streamer, speakers, basically starting over whilst upgrading each element at same time - she’s very used to me box swapping, but need to stagger it as what I want (I think) is c£3k+ CA CXN, Abe, IPL or even pos PMCs which will be more.

Electro, I’d be int in hearing your setup. Where you located?

Cheers,

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
amormusic said:
Thanks all for replies and thoughts. Certainly a mixed bag of opinion.

Still interested in the Abe. But this is not an immediate thing, needs to be Oct plus before any big changes.

Also need to decide order of swaps/upgrade to appease Mrs Amor as cant all be at once.

Plan to go new amp, streamer, speakers, basically starting over whilst upgrading each element at same time - she’s very used to me box swapping, but need to stagger it as what I want (I think) is c£3k+ CA CXN, Abe, IPL or even pos PMCs which will be more.

Electro, I’d be int in hearing your setup. Where you located?

Cheers,

I am in South Ockendon Essex 15 mins from M25 junction 30 .

TRENDING THREADS