Abrahamsen Amplifiers

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Its does look quite 'plug and play' but I'd still much prefer a step by step how to if I was sinking £1K into something.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
JMac said:
Its does look quite 'plug and play' but I'd still much prefer a step by step how to if I was sinking £1K into something.

I see what you mean. Now you needn't read the whole Ncore thread (I did -- took me a couple of weeks!), you can always ask the regulars there in case of doubt or problems. They tend to respond quickly and many of them (like Julf) seem quite skilled (and patient!).

I really like the Ncore baseline, btw: "Neither dirt nor fairy dust..." *dirol*

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Well it certainly looks simple Doc download Imgupr it's a doddle then.

EXBwxF1l.jpg

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Building Ncore amps is more plug&play than diy.Not very difficult.It needs only some soldering and crimping.You get instructions sheet delivered with the modules and if you go ex. with the ghent cases (ok they are not cheap) you get all parts you need to complete the build in a neat case with predrilled holes for all connections/parts so it does look oem when finished rather than diy.

You would only need

- internal cabeling to the binding posts

-crimping & soldering tools

you can see here what it could look like when finished

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/hypex-nc400-users-and-pictures

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Hypex Modules ordered 2 x UcD180HG with HxR and matching PSU. Would be interesting to compare the SQ with the NC 400 when I get it built. This solution is less than one NC400 module so if it sounds any where near as good it will be a very cost effective little amp. Just got to find time to build it now.

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
If you ever get round to doing an Ncore version colin let me know, I'm keen to try them but not without a clear A,B,C,D of how to do it. I'm running my speakers in for a few months and then I'm going to look into amps properly.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
JMac said:
If you ever get round to doing an Ncore version colin let me know, I'm keen to try them but not without a clear A,B,C,D of how to do it. I'm running my speakers in for a few months and then I'm going to look into amps properly.
The intention is to see how good the SQ is with the NcD modules then compare with the NC400. Build a retail version with sexy case, then offer complete kit instructions, case, cables and support in one package. Only problem with the NC400 there is no discount its aimed at DIY market

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
True, but I suppose you can add value by the build service and possible options e.g. case design, dual mono, mono blocks etc etc.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
The vision is to use the blue LED's on each Hypex module to shine a blue hue through glass tubes protruding through the top of the case, valve style. Long way off but would be a nice touch and evoke valve like properties of the Hypex modules.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
The vision is to use the blue LED's on each Hypex module to shine a blue hue through glass tubes protruding through the top of the case, valve style. Long way off but would be a nice touch and evoke valve like properties of the Hypex modules.

The Ghent case has a blue LED, but the NC400's LEDs are red. But that's even cosier, no? There's several examples on the DIY Audio Ncore thread (822 pages, and counting *biggrin*). See if I can find some examples... And then you can paste them in, Boggit. OK?

PS: any tips for disappearing emoticons with iPad-use?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
First example is a little hazy, but it gives you an idea...

Download-File

I like this second one. The guy recycled the casing of an integrated amp, and didn't know what to do with the hole the volume knob had left in the fascia. He decided to use a lense, with great effect IMO.

image.php

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Esra said:
Building Ncore amps is more plug&play than diy.Not very difficult.It needs only some soldering and crimping.You get instructions sheet delivered with the modules and if you go ex. with the ghent cases (ok they are not cheap) you get all parts you need to complete the build in a neat case with predrilled holes for all connections/parts so it does look oem when finished rather than diy.

You would only need

Esra presumably the instruction sheet is different to the datasheet and manual.

Does it give info on what size mains cable is required for the power supply and fuse rating for the iec socket.

I was thinking of building a wood case with veneered finish so there would be no earthing, not sure how this would work out with the balanced xlr.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Coll said:
Esra said:

You would only need

Esra presumably the instruction sheet is different to the datasheet and manual.

Does it give info on what size mains cable is required for the power supply and fuse rating for the iec socket.

I was thinking of building a wood case with veneered finish so there would be no earthing, not sure how this would work out with the balanced xlr.

Esra any thoughts regarding my above comments

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
All needed cables (long enough) and fuse are in the kit you get from hypex shop.Wood case...why not.Grounding... well in worst case you can attach to a screw which is grounded.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Oh Christ! Last try!

Inside:

image.php

Off:

image.php

On:

images

On, sideview:

image.php

In case it didn't work again: link (post nr 14 and 16)...

EDIT: I give up. I've had it for a while. All the best, guys!

EDIT (2): on a Windows pc, pictures are easy peasy!

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Esra said:
All needed cables (long enough) and fuse are in the kit you get from hypex shop.Wood case...why not.Grounding... well in worst case you can attach to a screw which is grounded.

Good point with the screw I could connect the braid of the xlr cable to it, pin 1 of the xlr socket and the black ampon cable from terminal 4 of the NC400. That would seem to give the same effect as a metal case. I would of course ventilate the case.

As a matter of interest what amp rating mains cable sould be used to connect the mains lead to each iec socket and what fuse in the mains plug

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Esra said:
According to the datasheet the fuse is a type 250V T5AL.

I am using just "normal" power leads,should be around 10A spec. i guess.

Do yiur mains power leads have an earth wire and if so are they connected to the chassis of the amp.

In the data sheets they dont seem to show an earth lead in the mains lead connected to the chassis.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts