Abrahamsen Amplifiers

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Vladimir said:
drummerman said:
C'mon ... this has all happened before without to many objections. EB Acoustics, Acoustic Energy and others have frequently posted on here, in a friendly manner, indirectly (or not so indirectly) promoting their individual products without slagging off others. They have not been stopped by the powers that are but slowly just stopped posting here.

I think it's great that WHF acts as a patron and hasn't obstructed small hi-fi entrepreneurs in UK from growing on this forum. I didn't mind that young designer from Audiosmile promoting his Kickstarter campaign for his new BBC miniature speakers. But the moral spetsnaz were quick on the gun to call it a pyramid scheme and early signs of anarchy and lawless society. *crazy*

Of course it was. I know a pyramid scheme when I see one.

I started many of them....

Yours respectfully,

Khufu.

Apologies, just thought this thread was becoming decidedly bitchy....

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
dogfish-head-bitches-brew.jpg

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Esra said:
Which speakers do you have?Which amp did you used until now?What is the problem with your system?

Troels Gravesen design Illumina 66 floorstanders for speakers

BK Electronics mosfet amplifier built from modules and of course 8200CDQ. Just find the top end a bit too bright at the top end compared to a Crown 1500 XLI that I had before.

So how do you find your 2 power amps compare with each other

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok if you find your top end a bit too bright i would suggest you the ncores out of both (especially if you have to decide blind) which are silky smooth but also very detailed,like a combination of a very precise A/B amp with the smooth touch of an very good valve amp .The 8200MB are more exciting at the top end in comparsion (not harsh or bright) and tend to very little warmth in the middle band and have punchier bass but always in control;I would say they could be a bit much with very agile/dynamic and exciting speakers as the 8200MB tend in that direction although i would declare them still pretty neutral in comparison to other amps in their price range..Ncores are really very neutral over full band with smooth touch in the upper band and absolute control over bass which can be a bit dry with some speakers and they have higher resolution in all departements incl. bass,relaxed and effortless presentation.Can´t go wrong with them imo..

Looked at the measurements of your speakers.I would go with the ncores if I were you.Could be a little bass heavy with the 8200MB and if you think your system is bright although measurements show that your speakers should not be bright at all.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
chebby said:
No point in continuing to bang the drum. IQ will always be 'Boggit' and he is now the resident 'plucky little entrepreneur' fighting the big boys against all the odds. The fact that he is an importer / distributor / loudspeaker manufacturer does not count because he is really just 'one of us'. His profits (if any) are just supporting his hobby, so are not really 'bad profits' like everyone else's. (They are all slavering jackals and not nice chaps like our Boggit.)

The Abrahamsen thing is just to help another fellow altruist survive and to help ordinary people against the 'monster' of competing hi-fi companies (rip-off merchants and liars). No profit motive i'm sure.

If Paul Darwin or Charles Brennan came on here to actively promote their brands against others mentioned here (Audiolab in this instance) then obviously there would be no comparison. They only do it for money and it would be obscene.

C'mon ... this has all happened before without to many objections. EB Acoustics, Acoustic Energy and others have frequently posted on here, in a friendly manner, indirectly (or not so indirectly) promoting their individual products without slagging off others. They have not been stopped by the powers that are but slowly just stopped posting here.

Whilst I too get fed up by flavor of the month product threads (think scandinavian monoliths, at present at least) they are rarely bought up by the manufacturers/distributors, more so by satisfied customers.

Why not?

I personally have no problem with it. Actually, I would like to see more manufacturers, Dealers, Distributors participate to break up the boredom of cable arguments (or contributing to them :) )

I wouldn't cite the lack of public objections as evidence of anything. I dislike seeing people with vested interests giving the impression they're promoting their gear in numerous threads but have chosen up to now not to mention it.

I personally do have a problem because there's a self interest angle and while most regulars know who is who on the forum, a casual visitor may not and therefore may not realise it's not just a post from a happy customer but a post from a person in the business about an item he sells.

IMO this forum should either ban all comment from people who have a vested financial interest or insist on a disclaimer in red lettering on each and every post they make making it clear the person has a vested interest.

Like I said, the usual crew know who's who and can take into account that there may be some favouring of certain gear from certain people which may be influenced by the fact they have a financial incentive to do so however, the casual visitor or person who is not a long term member and only doing a bit of research on a bit of equipment, may not be aware.

IMO a very clear disclaimer of some sorts would strike a balance better than an outright blanket ban or a free for all.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I quiet agree, thats why I have the details in my signiture. Im also mindful if i get a direct question from sombody new that I can not recomend and that i sell them. I certainly would not jump into a thread and recomend my products unless they had already been looking at them.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Esra said:
Ok if you find your top end a bit too bright i would suggest you the ncores out of both (especially if you have to decide blind) which are silky smooth but also very detailed,like a combination of a very precise A/B amp with the smooth touch of an very good valve amp .The 8200MB are more exciting at the top end in comparsion (not harsh or bright) and tend to very little warmth in the middle band and have punchier bass but always in control;I would say they could be a bit much with very agile/dynamic and exciting speakers as the 8200MB tend in that direction although i would declare them still pretty neutral in comparison to other amps in their price range..Ncores are really very neutral over full band with smooth touch in the upper band and absolute control over bass which can be a bit dry with some speakers and they have higher resolution in all departements incl. bass,relaxed and effortless presentation.Can´t go wrong with them imo..

Looked at the measurements of your speakers.I would go with the ncores if I were you.Could be a little bass heavy with the 8200MB and if you think your system is bright although measurements show that your speakers should not be bright at all.

Esra you are a top man you have given me some great info.

I think I will go with the ncore nc400 diy build 1 because I like making my own stuff where possible and 2 because my current amp runs really hot and I would prefer cooler. I think my room is a bit bright as I have a laminate floor also I think that it maybe that the Mosfet amp is not quite to my taste in the hf region not necessarily bright.

It may be a while before I can build but this will definately be my next project.

I know you built some yourself so if I have any querys I will post you.

Btw do you need 2 power supplies if you build a stereo power amp or is it still best to have 2 anyway.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
No you can also split the power supply for two modules but it is recommended to use one power supply for each modul to get best out of them.If I were you i would really go for real mono setup via XLR,nothing to save much here.For internal wiring to the binding post try to use the same cable as your speaker cables.Even better if you don´t use binding post and wire your speaker cable directly to the modules.After seeing the hardware you use i think you will have no problem to build them.Ghent Audio (google for it) have nice predrilled aluminum cases for the build with reasonable price.

Happy building and listening.A feedback would be great.

As for the bright room,try to place ideally a high floored carpet in front of your speakers and a textil comfy sofa at your listening position.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Esra said:
No you can also split the power supply for two modules but it is recommended to use one power supply for each modul to get best out of them.If I were you i would really go for real mono setup via XLR,nothing to save much here.For internal wiring to the binding post try to use the same cable as your speaker cables.Even better if you don´t use binding post and wire your speaker cable directly to the modules.After seeing the hardware you use i think you will have no problem to build them.Ghent Audio (google for it) have nice predrilled aluminum cases for the build with reasonable price.

If you listen at moderate levels, a single SMPS-600 will do. But then, you might not use the amp to its full potential (and that will start nagging!)... A SMPS600 for each NC400 is best, though two NC400s with a single SMPS1200A400 will probably work just as well (and at lower cost -- but with higher idle power IIRC). Ghent has predrilled cases for that combination too.

As the NC400 has such a low output impedance, Hypex advise to keep the speaker cable as short (and as thick) as possible, which might be another reason to go for monoblocks, and thus two separate power supplies.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I know DocG has given me his view before, but ESRA do you have any thoughts on the UcD180 and the 400 as a cheaper alternative to put together a decent amp that i can sell for a reasonable price? Is there a source for circuit diagrams out there. Would really like a preamp to make it into an Integrated amp.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:
Esra said:

If you listen at moderate levels, a single SMPS-600 will do. But then, you might not use the amp to its full potential (and that will start nagging!)... A SMPS600 for each NC400 is best, though two NC400s with a single SMPS1200A400 will probably work just as well (and at lower cost -- but with higher idle power IIRC). Ghent has predrilled cases for that combination too.

As the NC400 has such a low output impedance, Hypex advise to keep the speaker cable as short (and as thick) as possible, which might be another reason to go for monoblocks, and thus two separate power supplies.

Well the SMPS 600 is specifically designed for the nc400 and instructions recommend one power supply for each modul to get the best results with ncores.I don´t know you but for me it is not worth (money) to go an other route than the designer intended and try to be smarter because i am not at this field.I don´t like words like probably etc... either.All I can say the amps are worth every penny.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
I know DocG has given me his view before, but ESRA do you have any thoughts on the UcD180 and the 400 as a cheaper alternative to put together a decent amp that i can sell for a reasonable price? Is there a source for circuit diagrams out there. Would really like a preamp to make it into an Integrated amp.

I have heard good things about upgraded (2nd.gen) UCD modules but never heard one myself.Spec wise they are lesser modules.Pascal modules also have high reputation also slightly cheaper than the ncores.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Jota180 said:
IMO a very clear disclaimer of some sorts would strike a balance better than an outright blanket ban or a free for all.

I have no problem with that and my guess is that iQ/Boggit doesn't either ... .

Like I said, I would like to see more manufacturers/distributors on here but understand that most a/don't want to be drawn into arguments (inevitable) and b/ most probably don't see any value in doing so, especially if they are established unless there is some dispute which can easily be solved. Some do after having been contacted by WH. Others like Rega monitor threads and potential problems and churn in as and when deemed necessary to them. - The same with cyrus. I contacted them by email about a thread on here to which the promptly replied that they always monitor this and other forums but simply can't reply to each and every issue/question etc on every forum out there.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Esra said:
DocG said:
Esra said:

Well the SMPS 600 is specifically designed for the nc400 and instructions recommend one power supply for each modul to get the best results with ncores.I don´t know you but for me it is not worth (money) to go an other route than the designer intended and try to be smarter because i am not at this field.I don´t like words like probably etc... either.All I can say the amps are worth every penny.

Don't get me wrong, Esra. I'm going for a SMPS600 + NC400 build myself too. But over on the Ncore thread on diyaudio, there's plenty of people who built an amp using SMPS1200 + 2x NC400, and are happy with the result. Not because they're smarter than Mr. Putzeys, but because it's less expensive. I guess* it depends whether you go for ultimate quality or for best VFM (in which case a UcD-based amp might* be an even better option).

*: sorry! I guess you might probably not like these words either. *smile*

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Sorry doc no offense meant.I just see no reason to go with another design or voodoo moding.Some also used SMPS 1200 with one NC400 module and think it is at same level with something like a Auralic Merak mono amp which is not ... But everyone as he likes.

I have heard the nc400 before I have build them,compared with the NAD M22,looked at the price and came to the conclusion that they are worth the money and didn´t bother me with maybe better VFM as they are still reasonable priced modules imo..

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Speaking of budget watts, a good option for $400 is to get 2 Behringer A500 and have them each bridged. The result is very potent 2x200W RMS in 8 ohms. I'm currious how much would 2x200W of N-Core power amp kit would cost in total including some cheap steel enclosure?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Speaking of budget watts, a good option for $400 is to get 2 Behringer A500 and have them each bridged. The result is very potent 2x200W RMS in 8 ohms. I'm currious how much would 2x200W of N-Core power amp kit would cost in total including some cheap steel enclosure?

I'm sure Esra who has built one would be able to give you a better idea of the full cost however, the NC400 are 325 each and the PSU are 180 each in Euro

Im looking at the cheaper UcD modules they are only 70-100 Euros each and PSU 90 Euro Just been looking on the site and was going to call them to see what I would need. These modules are aimed at OEM's and are far cheaper than the DIY NC400. I would then hope to compare the quality with the NC400 and see if I can produce a Sexy looking cased Hypex Integrated amp for reasonable money ie around £600-999 mark.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
I would then hope to compare the quality with the NC400 and see if I can produce a Sexy looking cased Hypex Integrated amp for reasonable money ie around £600-999 mark.

If you don't have a good metal workshop nearby, just put in the ebay search form "steel aluminium amplifier box". Choices are plenty. Buying factory direct is even cheaper. These $80 cases are overpriced for one off buys by enthusiasts.

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I've also been looking at the Ncore modules (but I'm not reading 800+ pages on the diy site). Is there a definitive 'how to' anywhere as I've zero electrical skills (never tried). Alternatively I may look at the NAD M22 which uses the same modules but most DIY'ers say it actually performs better. It is more expensive ofcourse but equally it has a residual value.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I know the feeling of the 800 pages, surely it's not to difficult for them to say " in order to build one of these you need to do xyz" then again I suppose it would not be DIY. Even the speaker kit builders sites are awfull. I was an electronics engineer and if you have got a list/place to buy everything you need in one place it should be pretty easy. Even if you have to pay a little more.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Dunno. To me the NC400 datasheet on the Hypex website looks rather detailed. I guess one has to give it a try to judge it properly. Esra?

And there's the pictures of finished builds too, of course. Very informative IMO.

This (nearly finished) project looks very neat, for example!

imagejpeg

Edit: the fr**king site doesn't let me load up images with my iPad. Click the link if you're interested...*dash1*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts