Abrahamsen Amplifiers

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Who as actually got one.

What do you think of it.

What kit are you using it with.

I am considering one to use with my 8200CDQ and Troels Gravesen designed speakers.

SteveR750

Coll said:
Who as actually got one.

What do you think of it.

I am considering one to use with my 8200CDQ and Troels Gravesen designed speakers.

I've heard one. For the price there is no competition, no need to bother auditioning anything else under £1k. That's how good it is.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I think you can't go wrong with the V4.0 UP: 140 Wpc into 4 Ohm...

Having said that... Since you're into DIY: ever considered building a Hypex NCore power amp? You can have all necessary components for under £750, and you could go for a pair of monoblocks. Works best with XLR (which the CDQ has). 400 Wpc of clean power into your 4 Ohm speakers...*bomb*

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Why not Audiolabs own amps like some sec. hand 8200MB?They are pretty good after they run in (up to several months depending to how often you use your system).won´t be a problem if sec. hand and cheaper;there are some good deals so you can sell with minor loss if you don´t like them with your speakers which I don´t know . +1 also for Hypex although they need also some weeks to settle in if you can do the easy diy.These should be good for almost every speaker.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Esra said:
Why not Audiolabs own amps like some sec. hand 8200MB?They are pretty good after they run in (up to several months depending to how often you use your system).won´t be a problem if sec. hand and cheaper;there are some good deals so you can sell with minor loss if you don´t like them with your speakers which I don´t know  . +1 also for Hypex although they need also some weeks to settle in if you can do the easy diy.These should be good for almost every speaker.

Just for the power supply and current on tap alone. And the great looks seal the deal

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Coll said:
Who as actually got one.

What do you think of it.

I believe iQ has a couple :)

I've never heard one (and have personal 'issues' with the look :) ) but owner feedback on this forum is superb so far. As regards to reliability and long term satisfaction, to early to predict I suppose but things are looking good plus you have a very nice UK distributor which seems to look after his customers (and even ones which bought directly from the big A).

Internally it looks superb and there isn't much around similar for the money as far as I know.

No headphone socket but I think it has a phone stage (?).

XTC and Advance Acoustic are two other brands which offer a lot of bang for the buck (my brother, based in Switzerland has an AA system and loves it) and although I am obviously biased I always recommend cyrus. - Just depends what you need and how much you want to spend ... as always.

Burnsie

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I love my Abrahamsen amp but when I first got it and used it with an Audiolab 8200cd and it was a horrible match, very, very bright and fatiguing. I was using Spendor SA-1s at the time.

Before you take the plunge make sure you can get a listen to the combination somewhere.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Burnsie said:
I love my Abrahamsen amp but when I first got it and used it with an Audiolab 8200cd and it was a horrible match, very, very bright and fatiguing. I was using Spendor SA-1s at the time.

Before you take the plunge make sure you can get a listen to the combination somewhere.

Thats a bit worrying are the Spendors considered bright.

The previous amp to my home built mosfet was Crown and the systen was not bright then. Also the sound is different somehow maybe I am confusing brightness with the fact tht hf especially violins sound different.

Generally I dont notice much difference between amps but I noticed straight away when I changed.

Burnsie

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
No the Spendors are not considered bright, but the sibilance i had with the Abrahamsen/Audiolab/Spendor combination was driving me to distraction. I just could not enjoy my music anymore. My biggest problem was with vocals and certain CDs were unlistenable.

It was the help that I got from this forum that made go and listen to some different sources. After auditioning I got a Linn Ds streamer and was back to enjoying my music again and have since added the Abrahamsen CD player.

My problems were caused by the Audiolab, nothing wrong with it as there are many people very happy with it but it just did'nt suit my amp. My only advice would be to try some different sources and possibly amps if you want to keep the Audiolab.

iceman16 said:
Coll said:
iQ Speakers said:
Coll, could it be the Audiolab you are finding bright, as Burnsie post? and not the DIY amp?

No previously I had a Crown XLI1500 and it was not bright then.

Coll, I suggest listen to Arcam A29 and as many amp you can in that price range

Hi iceman16

I've heard very good things about Arcam's A29
thumbs_up.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
JMac said:
The arcam P49/A49 is on my list of potentials and I have the same drivers as you i believe Coll?

I have the ring radiator version of the HF unit but dont suppose it is any less bright.

Have you considered the Abrahamsen yourself or did you dismiss it.

Will be interested to know what you end up with amplifier wise.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
If the Audiolab is classed as bright and using an Abrhamsen amp. Does not work with it it must mean that it is also bright

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:

Having said that... Since you're into DIY: ever considered building a Hypex NCore power amp? You can have all necessary components for under £750, and you could go for a pair of monoblocks. Works best with XLR (which the CDQ has). 400 Wpc of clean power into your 4 Ohm speakers...*bomb*

As it would seem that the Abrahamsen is a bit bright with the 8200 CDQ how would the ncore be are these smooth amplifiers.

I have thought of this route but did have a B& O class d and did not like the treble at all.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Esra said:
Why not Audiolabs own amps like some sec. hand 8200MB?They are pretty good after they run in (up to several months depending to how often you use your system).won´t be a problem if sec. hand and cheaper;there are some good deals so you can sell with minor loss if you don´t like them with your speakers which I don´t know . +1 also for Hypex although they need also some weeks to settle in if you can do the easy diy.These should be good for almost every speaker.

Esra I believe you have built an ncore nc400 power amp.

How do you think it would work with the Audiolab 8200CDQ, my speakers are not bright so you do not have to take that into the mix

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Coll said:
DocG said:

As it would seem that the Abrahamsen is a bit bright with the 8200 CDQ how would the ncore be are these smooth amplifiers.

I have thought of this route but did have a B& O class d and did not like the treble at all.

No experience with this (Audiolab + Ncore) pairing.

I (briefly) heard the NAD M22, which uses the nc400 (be it with a modified power supply), and it sounded, well, natural -- anything but grainy or brittle. Some describe the treble as 'valve-like', and I understand what they mean. Having said that, one man's 'harsh' is another man's 'vivid and lifelike'. If you've ever heard a live brass band, you understand what I mean.

B&O's ICE-amps are rather different than Bruno Putzeys' designs, so you shouldn't extrapolate here -- the newer ICE-amps are getting better too though.

Of course, Esra can give you more first hand info.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I have built 2 mono amps and they work with the CDQ like a boss.You can also look out for a NAD M22 and try with your system to get an idea or don´t want to do the diy.+1 DocG

They are not comparable with B&O Ice, I know exactly what you mean but the newer moduls are much better than the older ones.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
The Abrahamsen is not the problem as Burnsie discovered. They are very neutral feed it something bright it's going to amplify it like any decent amp. That's what they are designed to do. What they don't do is colour anything. The Audiolab is the problem here feed it into a Hypex amp you will have brightness.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
The Abrahamsen is not the problem as Burnsie discovered. They are very neutral feed it something bright it's going to amplify it like any decent amp. That's what they are designed to do. What they don't do is colour anything. The Audiolab is the problem here feed it into a Hypex amp you will have brightness.

I am getting a bit confused if I go by some opinions I should never have purchased the Audiolab as it only works with very few amplifiers if any and yet is it well reviewed and often tested with Bryston amps which I thought were neutral.

Unless I am misunderstanding Esra he says it works well with the ncore amps.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Esra said:
iQ Speakers said:
The Audiolab is the problem here feed it into a Hypex amp you will have brightness.

Total nonsense.Nothing is wrong with the Audiolab CDQ,don´t worry.
It is nonsence as Coll has not get the combination yet. We are going by Burnsie experience. Below is his quote.

My view is that if products are neautral they should work with all combinations as somebody else said one mans bright is anothers lively and entertaining

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/abrahamsen-audio-amp-v20?page=6 taken from the above thread

Burnsie said:
The problem with the sibilance was caused by the Audiolab, I ended up buying the Linn Majik DS and I am really happy with the sound and it made me realise what a cracking amp the Abrahamsen is. I had a good session yesterday with the CD player(UP version). It is built as well as the amp and the remote control is exactly the same, it sounds very good for the price(£530 delivered) although the Linn does beat it hands down with revealing the finer details.

The SA-1s with the Abrahamsen does sound good but upgradeitis is on me and I am starting to look for new speakers and hopefully within the next month I will start to demo some to see where it takes me.

TRENDING THREADS