• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

About adding an Arcam P85

TheMaestro

New member
May 7, 2017
9
0
0
Hey guys, I own an Arcam Solo Music older model and am very happy with it.

It's hooked to 2 Monitor Audio RX6 speakers which I really love.

I found an Arcam P85 power amp on a Dutch auction site. Would this be an improvement if I add this to my setup?
 
Feb 18, 2015
58
1
0
Quite possibly if you use them as a pre/power configuration.I used to have one with a a85 integrated but it only gave me a slight improvement in a bi amping config but using a p85 with a solo should be worth the outlay....but if you can demo it first that would be best and you can make your own mind up.

Oh and I also had the monitor audio rx6's for a few months with the arcam's...the p85 will give better grip and control than the solo can muster on it's own.
 

insider9

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2016
914
444
5,270
You'd connect Solo pre outs to inputs on P85. Overall it would help drive speakers but it's somewhat an unknown quantity as go how it would sound.

I've owned A85 and would not pair it with RX6 as for my liking it would result in a too bright pairing.
 

TheMaestro

New member
May 7, 2017
9
0
0
TheMaestro said:
Hey guys, I own an Arcam Solo Music older model and am very happy with it.

It's hooked to 2 Monitor Audio RS6 speakers which I really love.

I found an Arcam P85 power amp on a Dutch auction site. Would this be an improvement if I add this to my setup?
Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated.

Now I'm a newbie whem it comes to setting a system up.

To get the best result would one of you have the knowlegde on how to connect the Arcam Solo [ old model ] to the P85 and the MA RS6's?

Thanks for all your help.
 

TheMaestro

New member
May 7, 2017
9
0
0
insider9 said:
You'd connect Solo pre outs to inputs on P85. Overall it would help drive speakers but it's somewhat an unknown quantity as go how it would sound.

I've owned A85 and would not pair it with RX6 as for my liking it would result in a too bright pairing.
My mistake, I made a typing error before, I have the RS6 speakers and not the RX6. Sorry about that.
 

insider9

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2016
914
444
5,270
TheMaestro said:
insider9 said:
You'd connect Solo pre outs to inputs on P85. Overall it would help drive speakers but it's somewhat an unknown quantity as go how it would sound.

I've owned A85 and would not pair it with RX6 as for my liking it would result in a too bright pairing.
 

My mistake, I made a typing error before, I have the RS6 speakers and not the RX6. Sorry about that.
There not far apart in presentation. I've had both RX and RS silver and preferred RS so you've got the ones I'd rather have out of the two.

The P85 will definitely be able to control the speakers much better and as long as they sound fine with Solo I'd say go for it. As long as the price is right :)
 

TheMaestro

New member
May 7, 2017
9
0
0
insider9 said:
TheMaestro said:
insider9 said:
You'd connect Solo pre outs to inputs on P85. Overall it would help drive speakers but it's somewhat an unknown quantity as go how it would sound.

I've owned A85 and would not pair it with RX6 as for my liking it would result in a too bright pairing.
My mistake, I made a typing error before, I have the RS6 speakers and not the RX6. Sorry about that.
There not far apart in presentation. I've had both RX and RS silver and preferred RS so you've got the ones I'd rather have out of the two.

The P85 will definitely be able to control the speakers much better and as long as they sound fine with Solo I'd say go for it. As long as the price is right :)
Its currently at € 175,- which equals around GBP 155.- and I haven't put in a bid yet.....

Its supposed to be in like new condition.
 

insider9

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2016
914
444
5,270
In the UK you can get A85 for around £250. A85 is an integrated but from memory it had the same power amp section. Even if it's mint it's been made around 16 years ago. Worth bearing that in mind. A85 could be used as a power amp also. So don't go crazy with bidding :)

They are still fine sounding units.
 
Feb 18, 2015
58
1
0
I wouldn't go over £200 . it's a power amp with not to much to do...a integrated or pre has all the inputs,volume pot,psu....to contend with.....I sold my p85 to a friend along with the a85......both are doing very well.
 

TheMaestro

New member
May 7, 2017
9
0
0
insider9 said:
In the UK you can get A85 for around £250. A85 is an integrated but from memory it had the same power amp section. Even if it's mint it's been made around 16 years ago. Worth bearing that in mind. A85 could be used as a power amp also. So don't go crazy with bidding :)

They are still fine sounding units.
Any idea on how long they were produced?

And thank you for all your replies.
 

insider9

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2016
914
444
5,270
TheMaestro said:
insider9 said:
In the UK you can get A85 for around £250. A85 is an integrated but from memory it had the same power amp section. Even if it's mint it's been made around 16 years ago. Worth bearing that in mind. A85 could be used as a power amp also. So don't go crazy with bidding :)

They are still fine sounding units.
 

Any idea on how long they were produced?

And thank you for all your replies.
Not entirely sure but the follow up to A85/P85 was A90/P90. I believe they were released around 2004.

However you look at it P85 would be now around 15 years old. Not old by amplifier terms but that will affect it's value.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts