A worthy upgrade???

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone, as title says really. My current set up is Yamaha RXV2400 RDS, Pioneer DVD player, xbox 360, and Kef 2005.1 original eggs. Considering the system was stored for 3yrs it's all still in mint condition and works like it should. I originally intended on buying the Panny BD85 and using analogue outs to multichannel input on amp. But as a forum user is selling a Denon 1909 HDMI reciever and a panny BD35 I'm tempted in getting it as an upgrade. Would you consider this a big step up in sound? as I know picture on either players are going to be a massive jump over my pioneer DVD player. All your comments are hugely appreciated!!

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
The Panny 85 would sound great using 5.1 connects to the Yamaha.

We seem to get more problems on these forums with Denon amps than any other make.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I had read that before! I think I just getting caught up in the HD era of amps, although my amp is awesome without hdmi connects! I need to be reasurred that I won't miss out on any sound if you know what I mean.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I been on another site for a couple of years and I asked the question there about using multichannel outs and every response was not to use as entry and mid level players that have analogue outs are flawed!! Their response was to use coaxal or optical and let the player re-encode to DTS core, the sound is practicaly the same if not better!

This is the reaon I'm asking the questions here! Any comments??

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I have my BD80 connected by 5.1 connects to a Yamaha and it is awesome. I also have it connected by co ax so that I can compare.

Bluray is fantastic through the 5.1. DVD is exactly the same whichever connection is used, as you would expect.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
If i use the multichannel then the processor in my amp becomes obsolete so to speak?? But on the BD player I need to measure distance of speakers etc..... And tell this to BD?? on the Yamaha amp is there a setting were I can increase the bass management?? Like on the SWFR level which can be increased to +10db, also I noticed in the amp setup the LFE can only be adjusted to a minus position! Does this sound right??

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
There is distance adjustment available on my Panny BD80, I see no reason it should be any different on the 85. The bass management has to be set up by ear but that is no problem. I played a CD and adjusted the LFE level until I was satisfied. Alternatively use a DVD with the THX programm.

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
There is no point in giving you the settings on my amp, as you will need to set it up with your particular sub, and of course the accoustics of your room.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I have the DVE disc so il use that, just that I have read that it will need a +10db boost plus a further +5db to get bass management right!! As u have said I guess it's best to do by ear also! Cheers

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I have KEF floorstanders for my main speakers, so I set the LFE output on the Yamaha to "both" which means that the LFE goes to the mains and the sub for extra impact.

Go and buy you BD player and enjoy the experience. If you want to save a bit Sevenoaks are doing the BD80 at £175.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
chudleighpaul:

I have KEF floorstanders for my main speakers, so I set the LFE output on the Yamaha to "both" which means that the LFE goes to the mains and the sub for extra impact.

Go and buy you BD player and enjoy the experience. If you want to save a bit Sevenoaks are doing the BD80 at £175.

i have the original Kef eggs and they all set to small, LFE to Sub only. I will check Sevenoaks as this is were i got all my gear from, also Richersounds do good deals which is very close. Thanks for your replies.

just one more quick question, once its connected i guess my amp will just show multichannel input? but BD player will output the sound as to the Blu-ray disc was recorded in?

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for delay in replying, I have been away for a couple of days.

As you rightly say the amp will show multi channel input. In order to see which soundrack is being delivered press the audio button on the Panny remote.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts