A subwoofer do make a difference

gasolin

Thought my Boston a26 didn't have enough bottom with my Nad D3020, so instead of buying new speakers with more bass i went to local hifi store in denmark and listen to som argon (not aragon) subwoofer after reading review's the 6" is okay but ported, the 10" not as precise and the 8" closed cabinet was the best, okay the 10" had a bit more power but with 2x30/65 watt in 8ohm and 89 db sensitivity i don't need a huge and powerfull subwoofer so the 8" i got, 175 £ with 2x2 meter van den hull clearwater for only 5.5£ for a meter (got a discount normal price is7.7£), found out using the terminals (speaker cable) i got a crossover (high pass) for the boston a26 depending on how i set it not a fixed crossover at 80 or 100hz which is used a lot :). (75hz and about 9.30 on the volume knob)

The sub has 100watt rms,8" woofer, down to 40hz -3 db about 11 kg.

For the money i payed for the sub i don't think i could have used that and the money i would get for returning my boston's to buy speakers that could give me that extra bass (the bass is not loud all the time, it's discrete but it's definitely there when i play edm)

If you miss some bass from you 6.5" bookshelf speakers and don't have the space for 8" speakers, i do recommend a subwoofer even when it's only a 8" woofer, cause they do give you that extra bass i think you never can get from any cheap,reasonable priced 6.5" speakers

Listening to The sheffield lab drum and track disc the first 2 drum improvisations just sounds great at medium level

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Yep. You don't realize how much is missing until you put the sub in the chain. I recently put my little sealed sub back in the chain and reminded me just how awesome my system can sound. Also allows me to tune it to my room a bit better.

Love how much of your posts and overall budget you dedicate to cables.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
a subwoofer does, also a high pass filter makes the sound from my bostons more clear and open in the midrange beacuse it dosn't have to play so much bass.

What hi-pass filter did you get for your A26s?

Does it really make a big difference?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I can't afford a pair of proper full range speakers that have good sound quality and go down to 30Hz so I couldn't live without a good subwoofer in my system. For electronica they're practically essensial IMO.

gasolin

davedotco said:
gasolin said:
a subwoofer does, also a high pass filter makes the sound from my bostons more clear and open in the midrange beacuse it dosn't have to play so much bass.

What hi-pass filter did you get for your A26s?

Does it really make a big difference?

I am not shure if theres actually is a high pass filter in the subwoofer like in a B&W 600 and 650 http://dl.owneriq.net/6/638602cd-9411-4406-a049-5e1cd54d7a48.pdf page 70 (and many more), no one knows if theres is, some experts say yes, another one say no, can't tell you if i did use a high pass filter in the subwoofer when i use the terminals, atm i am playing without the sub and some songs sound good in the bass (not so tight but still good), i am not shure if most of the bass was from the bostons or the sub, was sitting and watching a program on the european song contest and again i heard this weak hum and thought i can't live with it and i do wan't a high pass filter, so i am thinking of returning it tomorrow.

I do like the Nad D3020 and Boston A26 in the midrange and top, the bass is also good, just need a bit tighter and a deeper bass, a deeper bass would also be a louder bass with a lower -3db so this deeper bass could be a combination of a deeper and louder bass (the midrange on the boston would also be more clear,clean and open if i use a high pass filter).

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Yep got my Rel Q50 connected via the High Pass to the front's on my Home Theatre for when I stream Spotify. Now mix's that used to sound thin sound more life like and I can hear so much more in the music I listen to.

Had to compensate with my AVR for when I'm watching a movie and sending LFE to it also.

Glad it worked out for you and that your Boston's can sing with ease.

TRENDING THREADS