A sub or floorstanders?

It's mentioned on other threads (I think) but I'd like to clarify the best option.

I mainly listen to music but don't want to compromise the DVDs I have. Our room is fairly compact (17' x 12.5' approx) and the RS6s do a fabulous job with both.

However much I love PMC DB1is - with music they are superior in pretty much every sense, but when films are cranked up through the hi-fi it's a different matter altogether.

The question is keep the RS6s for the timebeing or invest in a standmount + a sub of some description. If so, which COMPACT sub is the best all-rounder?

Remember Mrs. P isn't showing any encouraging signs (never has done, to be fair), so it needs to be inconspicous.

I know it's a compromise whichever route I decide on, just looking for some direction in this area.

Cheers, pp

A

Anonymous

Could you clarify why exactly you want the sub, as that would help a little?

Sliced Bread

I've tested this myself a number of times by putting my rears on the front, then adding the sub and running the system in stereo.

For what its worth, my experience is that I couldn't get the bookshelf / sub to compete with floorstanders for music, but it did outperform the floorstanders without a sub for movies. Music isn't a problem for you as you prefer the db1s already and you can always keep the sub off for music depending upon your tastes.

(That said.the rs6 are good with films. My friend has a pair, and I prefer the to the rx6's)

On balance though, if it were my money, I'd go for it!

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Generally speaking, you should always get a better sound with floorstanders rather than trying to match stand mounters with a subwoofer for stereo music - even if they are from the same brand etc.

By the nature of the fact floorstanders are designed with LF/HF drivers designed to sound harmonious, going down the sub with bookshelf speakers route gives you the problem of trying to make them sound harmonious from scratch and lots of things like size of room, room features etc can affect this.

Having said that, I've seen set-ups with customers where they have managed to match a subwoofer well to get the deeper notes, but only after a lot of experimentation on positioning, levels etc.

Could you try a (compact) pair of floorstanders to try the difference in sound for yourself and see if they have the "acceptance factor"? Here's where a home trial of both some floorstanders and a subwoofer would come in handy.

A

Anonymous

i had the db1i's and paired them with a rel r305 sub, it was a stunning combo and when set up correctly will blow you away, it did take me some time to dial the rel in and get the right position etc but it was worth it, that said i would look at floor standers that give you the best of both worlds, the clarity and presision of the pmc's and bottom end of the rs6's, maybe some pmc floorstanders?

Would like to reiterate: the current system is pretty much fabulous with music and films. However, the DB1s are great with music (minus the sub) but lacked the very deepest notes on films, which is pretty much acceptable. Not interested in buying RX6; although they are a bit more refined - so I'm told - but I feel the difference between the RX and RS6 will be minimal, not worth the extra outlay.

On hearing the Totems at the same time as the PMCs they proved to be a worthy upgrade, so I'm trying to gauge opinion on the best option: stick with RS6s for the short-term, switch to Totem Arro or plump for the PMC DB1i + a (very) compact sub?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
How much are you looking to spend on a sub PP?

I know you're not a hard-rocking-bass-pumpin' volume fiend, but I think adding a sub to the PMCs will elevate your movies and music.

I've not looked back since adding my sub to my stereo system.

Big Chris said:
How much are you looking to spend on a sub PP?

I know you're not a hard-rocking-bass-pumpin' volume fiend, but I think adding a sub to the PMCs will elevate your movies and music.

I've not looked back since adding my sub to my stereo system.

I'll be perfectly honest and say I don't know. Never been in a position where there was a need. Obviously a sub with enough to work alongside PMCs.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
PP

I've been away for a couple of weeks, and am delighted to hear that your life has sorted itself out.

On the matter in hand, here is my view:

- Get the speaker that you enjoy listening to most.

- A sub is essential for getting the most from movies anyway.

- Integrating a sub into 2 channel is awkward, but not impossible. One with EQ makes it easier.

- Small subs worth considering are - BK Gemini/XLS200; PV1 and Velodyne SPL800 Ultra.

Cno

CnoEvil said:
PP I've been away for a couple of weeks, and am delighted to hear that your life has sorted itself out. On the matter in hand, here is my view: - Get the speaker that you enjoy listening to most. - A sub is essential for getting the most from movies anyway. - Integrating a sub into 2 channel is awkward, but not impossible. One with EQ makes it easier. - Small subs worth considering are - BK Gemini/XLS200; PV1 and Velodyne SPL800 Ultra. Cno

Thanks. There was no problem with life apart from trying to run a fledgling business. Couple of nights ago I didn't get home till 9.30 pm, while most of the day was quiet.

Aaaanyway, I'll have a butchers at your suggestions and maybe pester a couple of dealers first hand - ideally I'd like to have a dem...

A

Anonymous

Just a thought PP,

Since you have the Leema Pulse, woudn't the Leema Xone or Xero be at least worth an audition?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i'm a massive fan of standmounts and sub combinations and think they can offer far more versatility than any floorstander ever could, would def recommend trying a few to get a good match - subs take a little setting up but once done can be forgotten about. Make sure you buy a sub that can be connected to both your home cinema amp by LFE and pref high level connection for the stereo side of things

I run a pair of ma pl100s and a rel b2 sub - some times on a evening if listening to music late i knock the sub off as to not upset her upstairs also i think the system sounds better at low volume levels

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I agree with matengawhat that standmount and sub combinations are as good as a pair of very good floorstander. The only thing you need to do is to match the cross over of the sub with your standmount. Adjustment by hearing is OK but it is better to do it by actual measurement. You may have already known that I used MJ Acoustics Pro50 MkII (costing about 300 pounds) and connected to my Leema Pulse through the high level connection to extend the bass of my Spendor SA1. The FR curve of the combined system is quite flat and goes down to 25-30Hz. The bass is very tight and clear which is much much better than my RX1.

Thanks for your input, guys. I will take a shoofty over the next couple of weeks and see whether I can scrounge a dem.

The overriding feeling, from your replies, is that the RS6s do a good job and can be bettered by standmounters and a sub if matched [and set-up] correctly.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I used a Rel Strata 5 with a pair of PMC DB1i's, and later with some ATC scm19's.

The REL worked perfectly with both speakers, giving a flat(to my ears) response down to 20hz, and also had some useful output at 16hz.

Ive used subs for a long time now with various setups, and have always found that a sub will go lower than most speakers, but a sat/sub combination cannot create the weight that a large speaker can.
Best results will be had if you keep the RS6's, and get a decent sealed sub(like a used Rel Strata 5), or something better/newer depending on budget.

ear said:
All I can say is I wish I had a pair of RS6's!If I could go back in time..

Yup, can't disagree: Though the RS6s do a fabulous job - I'm chuffed with it - I know when I heard DB1is and Totem Arro, along with my sources, my current set-up is only producing (pure guess work) about 60-65% of the Leemas potential.

There's my dilemma: I've got a fabulous sounding given the disparity with component prices, but capable of doing better.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts