A Sound Connection

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I want to get sound from my TV to my AMP.

I have a Panasonic TH50PZ80B plasma which contains a freeview receiver and a Onkyo AMP. I purchased a optical cable but cannot see a optical out connection on my TV.

Can someone please advise me of how I can get sound from my TV/ freeview receiver to my AMP to allow me to listen to sound through my surround speakers.

Cheers

Paul C

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
This should be easy.

If your TV has no optical connector, it's a 99% certainty it'll have a pair of phono/RCA sockets on the back (You know, the red & white ones) for audio OUTPUT (Important, as if they're for audio INPUT, you won't get any sound!)

Pop along to Currys/Comet/Local Hi Fi store, and buy a pair of stereo interconnects to run from the TV to your amp. Don't worry about spending a fortune, just make sure they're long enough!

Job done.

Only other thing you'll need to know is whether the audio outputs on the back have their output controlled by your TVs volume control or if they're fixed.

Some TVs have a fixed output, so you just need to turn the TV volume all the way down. Other TVs (Mine included) have the volume through the audio outs controlled by the actual TV volume control. I had to enter the TV set-up menu and select my TV speakers to 'OFF', then maxed out the volume on the TV.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris: Some TVs have a fixed output, so you just need to turn the TV volume all the way down. Other TVs (Mine included) have the volume through the audio outs controlled by the actual TV volume control.

I'd love mine to be like that.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Nah. It's annoying. I have the volume maxed out on the TV, and just use the Onkyo to control the volume. Otherwise the variation between TV & Blu-Ray/BT Vision is too great. I have reasonable TV levels, then I'll switch to BD and it's BLARING!!!!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:Nah. It's annoying. I have the volume maxed out on the TV, and just use the Onkyo to control the volume. Otherwise the variation between TV & Blu-Ray/BT Vision is too great. I have reasonable TV levels, then I'll switch to BD and it's BLARING!!!!

I dont even have an amp at the mo, but if i didnt bother and just got summat liek them aktimate speakers id love to control the volume with the Sky remote.

Funnily enough, i have to turn the volume down after watching a BR or DVD.

I do have a universal remote on my wish list, but it could be a while, as its bound to cause me great frustration. But from what i hear, some of the better ones ar the exception to the "if it sounds oo good to be true..." rule.

Anyway, apologies to the OP.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts