A sad mix of kit - help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi - and at the risk of simply being told "junk it all and start again" whilst you are shaking your head in disbelief, please keep in mind that the funding is limited and I have a stack of old (and older) hi-fi equipment gathering dust in it's retirement (which I am too soft to resign to the tip!).

Kit: LCD TV - Panasonic TX-32LXD70 + DVD HDD Recorder - Panasonic DMR-EX75 + Digital Sound Projector - Yamaha HTY-750

So, having replaced our faithful old CRT Sony television when it went belly-up with the Panasonic 32" following a good review from What Hi-Fi S&V magazine and adding the Yamaha sound projector (no wiring or speakers around the room) - both at very good prices, together with our existing Panasonic DVD recorder, my simple questions are:

1. even after following advice from the manuals and therefore a multiple choice of cabling options, I am unsure of the best way to connect the three items, and

2. does anyone have any suggestions (apart from the "junk it ...") for improving the system (already used the THX optimiser from the November issue with significant improvement!) given a relatively modest budget?

Many thanks, in advance.

P.S.

Can I also attach a CD player to the Yamaha, given the above set-up as primary usage?

A

Anonymous

yup - thought as much but you never know - there might just have been someone out there with some sympathy. Grateful thanks to your good self anyway for the post mate - cheers!!

A

Anonymous

First of all, that really is not a bad system, most people would be pretty damn happy with it!

I'm assuming your main viewing (standard TV) is going to be coming from the TV or DVD's internal Freeview tuner, rather than a Sky box.

I'm no expert, but from my experiences (and having just looked at the manuals), I would connect accordingly:

Panasonic DMR-EX75 TV via HDMI (upscaled picture from DVD to TV)
Telly (Audio Out) Yamaha Sound Projector via RCA Phono's (for standard Freeview from TV tuner audio to come through Yamaha)
Panasonic DMR-EX75 Yamaha Sound Projector via Optical (audio from DVD recorder to come through Yamaha)

Just make sure to use the right inputs depending what you are watching. For example, when using the Panasonic DVD; make sure the Yamaha is using the selected input for the digital optical, this should result in a better sound being produced.

RE upgrade paths - I doubt that a dedicated CD player would make much difference over using the Panasonic DVD player to play 'em unless you upgraded your Yamaha IMO. It really depends how much you want to spend.

Hope this helps a little!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
You could help yourself by providing a slightly more informative subject line. There are a LOT of topics here, if something doesn't stand out then it can easily get missed.

However to answer the question, it shouldn't be too difficult, which may be another reason why nobody's answered.

Aerial into the DVD Recorder, then RF out in to the aerial socket in the TV, this should allow both devices to tune in their Digital TV tuners.

Then connect the HDMI out of the DVD-recorder to HDMI 1 on the TV, exactly as it tells you to in the Quick Setup guide that came with the DVD recorder. This will also give you the Viera Link functionality, which should make things a little easier to control.

Then take an optical digital cable from the DVD recorder's digital output (below the HDMI cable) and plug it into one of the two digital inputs on the soundbar, that will give you Dolby Digital when watching DVD's.

The soundbar has another digital input, so yes you could plug a CD player into that, the soundbar also has analogue inputs if you'd prefer to do it that way.

As to improving your picture, there isn't much more you can do, other than add an HD source. The TV you have isn't one of Panasonic's Freesat equipped TVs so the only options you have are to add a Freesat tuner (plus dish obviously) or Sky HD or you could get a blu-ray player, but obviously they all cost money.

harveymt

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
bayc oldboy:you are not going to get any response on here as like me you have old kit and no one on here is interrested sorry mate

I think you're being very harsh in that assessment. I've asked my fair share of questions on here and have nearly always got an answer. I like this forum for the reason that I feel I can ask highly specific questions and get a knowledgable answer (like a few recent questions about wi-fi) but also could ask a question that may seem stupidly easy and not get told where to go. There's the right mix of knowledge and banter on these boards mostly down to the folks posting with a little help from the mods. I can speak for myself anyway in saying, if you're not going to post something constructive, then maybe don't post at all? I've seen too many forums I used to like ruined by negativity like that.

Your point about no-one being interested in old kit is also wide of the mark. There's plenty of people on here buying second hand or vintage gear, especially in the hi-fi section.

Onto your questions, I think what the guy above said is correct. have a look through the reviews for cables. Don't forget to check Amazon and eBay store prices as you may pick up a bargain. You may also hear people say cables don't make a difference. If you buy from somewhere that has a return policy, then you can judge for yourself. If you think it doesn't make a difference, send it back for a refund.

As for the CD player, it's doubtful it would make that much difference with the soundbar, but if you were thinking of upgrading sometime in the future to a full home cinema system of hi-fi separates then this could be your first step.

Any other questions, then ask away.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
In the nicest possible way, this isnt really a section for questions and answers anyway, so thats a reason why it may have (but wasnt) been ignored here, nothing to do with snobishness.

A

Anonymous

Where is the section for questions and answers then? According to the "Forum" page of What Hi-Fi S&V - ask for help on the forums and "Your System" seemed to be the most relevant.

However ...

MANY THANKS INDEED for the replies.

The title of the posting was accurate if not specific so I take the point made!

As for the logical connectivity - well to be honest - the manuals are not that great and having been back to the point of sales, they were not helpful either so I have been "sucking and seeing" so-to-speak given my basic knowledge of such things.

I will review the suggested connections as soon as time allows - I am certain that I have "c*cked it up" somewhere along the line - so once more, I am very grateful for the replies and the help therein!

Ta muchly

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
RoyCo:

Hi - and at the risk of simply being told "junk it all and start again" whilst you are shaking your head in disbelief, please keep in mind that the funding is limited and I have a stack of old (and older) hi-fi equipment gathering dust in it's retirement (which I am too soft to resign to the tip!).

Kit: LCD TV - Panasonic TX-32LXD70 + DVD HDD Recorder - Panasonic DMR-EX75 + Digital Sound Projector - Yamaha HTY-750

So, having replaced our faithful old CRT Sony television when it went belly-up with the Panasonic 32" following a good review from What Hi-Fi S&V magazine and adding the Yamaha sound projector (no wiring or speakers around the room) - both at very good prices, together with our existing Panasonic DVD recorder, my simple questions are:

1. even after following advice from the manuals and therefore a multiple choice of cabling options, I am unsure of the best way to connect the three items, and

2. does anyone have any suggestions (apart from the "junk it ...") for improving the system (already used the THX optimiser from the November issue with significant improvement!) given a relatively modest budget?

Many thanks, in advance.

P.S.

Can I also attach a CD player to the Yamaha, given the above set-up as primary usage?
what thx optimiser i didnt get one
emotion-12.gif

A

Anonymous

nodnarb4444:RoyCo:

... (already used the THX optimiser from the November issue with significant improvement!)what thx optimiser i didnt get one
emotion-12.gif

If you look at the front cover of the November issue of What Hi-Fi? Sound & Vision, there you should see in big letters "FREE! THX optimizer glasses to upgrade your TV picture!" and then you should find, on page 32 of the same issue, instructions on how to "optimise" the video settings by following the instructions on certain DVD movies (the titles of which can be found by navigating to the website quoted in the article) that include the THX optimiser as standard. The blue glasses are required for one part of this. I have to say that I was slightly dubious but have to eat those words as there is a definite improvement in the overall quality of movies.

Hope that helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts