A question, your innocence! Na, it’s about bi-amping and me AS500.

namefail

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I've a Yamaha AS500 and it's got 2 separate output channels, i.e. A and B. If they're both connected to the same pair of speakers are they Bi-amped?

I think not, but live in hope.

gurjitsidhu

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey,

ive got th same amp and no they are not bi-amped. its not possible to bi amp with that amplifier since its only a 2 channel.

you need a minmum 4 channel amp to biamp. youhave bi-wired them which i can hear a difference with.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Occasionally 'stereo' amplifiers are switchable to offer full bi-amping, rare but over the years they have existed.

Interestingly the Marantz MC-R 500 and 600 series do offer these facilities, the power amplifier section can be switched to provide 4 separate channels to give true bi-amping.

Whether this is a worthwhile feature or not is another matter.

AmigaNut

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
The option to switch to A+B is noted in the manual.

You can use the two outputs to drive 1 set of speakers but by the term Bi-WIRE.

For this you need speakers with 2 sets of binding posts and a removable plate. I.e. Wharfedale 10.1.

When the plate is removed the cross over circuit between the tweeter and woofer is removed and the amp drives each unit seperate.

Some swear by it some don't.

You can also biwire by just adding 2 sets of cable to the same amp posts and using just A or B or as mentioned use 2 sets of speakers for the same output, fo example one set of speaker in the dining room and another set in the lounge etc.

AmigaNut

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts