Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've booked a demo of the following 5.1 AV speakers and would value opinions

All would be paired either with Onkyo605 or Sont str1200

2 channel music + compact surrounds are primary factors

What do you think;

Monitor Audio BR2 fronts/bronze centre/Radius R45 or R90 rears

Kef 1QT front/iQ2 centre/Kef 2005 egg rears

A decent but compact sub would be added in the region of 350pounds any suggestions

A

Anonymous

I have recently posted a similar question, yet to receive a respone also. I am looking for a system which can act as my primary hi-fi as well as being my surround sound when watching films.

From what I have read on these forums, the Onkyo TX-SR605 seems to be the weapon of choice, especially seeing as Onkyo cannot seem to put a foot wrong at the moment and they also swept the board in the '07 Awards.

The Tannoy Mercury F1 customs have had a lot of mention recently and have won an '07 Award. They do not have the discreet rear speakers however, and may not deliver when listening to 2 channel music. The Kef iQ1's sound like they wouldn't perform very well as your fronts either. The MA Bronze BR2's (Best stereo speakers £150 - £250 in '07 Awards) appear to be much more promising and there doesn't appear to be any compatability issues with the Onkyo 605 as raised in other posts I have read.

Sub woofers and the word "compact" don't usually go together. The smallest I can find that is any good is the Velodyne Microvee at £575 and only 9" square. A little bigger than that is the REL Acoustics Quake at £350. The MA Bronze BRW10 sub is just over £300 and 12" square (still quite compact as far as subs go), but if you decide to go for all MA Bronze and the BR2 AV package, you could save yourself some cash compared to buying separate items.

Personally, I think I am going to go for the MA BR2AV 5.1 package and hook them up to the Onkyo 605 in a room which is approx 17ft x 14ft.

Hope my opinion helps, but I do not claim to be an expert and it would be interesting to hear from someone else!

A

Anonymous

Apologies if I am breaking any rules by bumping this up the list. But I am keen to get an experts opinion because many of us do not have the space to accomodate both an AV system and a separate Hi-Fi... can it all be done in one setup? and are the options on this post any good?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Sorry for not replying earlier - Show lurgy has swept the office....

Can I ask in both cases what the propsed sources will be? That's so key to getting a decent stereo sound from an AV set-up - ie if that's not right, it doesn't really matter what amp/speakers you add, it'll never be a pleasing all-in-one system.

A

Anonymous

The plan is, Pana DMR-ES20D for the few times i decide to record something onto a DVD. My BluRay / DVD from a PS3 until someone sorts out the format war, then i'll commit to something a bit better. And a Marantz CD6002 for CD playback.

A

Anonymous

In my case a PS3 for bluray/upscaled dvd

+ a Hermstedt Hifidelio Pro media server(MP3 at 320kbt/sec) also acting as my CD player(but the vast majority of my music is the aforementioned MP3's)

Also how do you think the Quad L-ite Av package would compare - i'm sure it's not as good but it would be about 600 pounds cheaper which is tempting

A

Anonymous

Sorry... bumping this one up the list again due to no response. Thanks in advance to the anticipated reply.

A

Anonymous

Moving this one up the list as it appears Clare has forgotten about us ;-)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
More bumping than

going on there.

Anyway, I'd concur with the suggestion of the complete BR2 package as being the best all-round bet. Mixing and matching the Bronzes and the Radiuses (Radii?) would be possible, but I think you'd get better all-round integration with the complete package.

A

Anonymous

Sorry about that Andrew, does kinda look like the fairground is in town in this thread. Thanks for your input, you have confirmed what I had guessed to be the best bet at this price. Cheers.... and no more bumping, i promise....

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew , just tested the above combo's

Monitor Audio's the way to go for me but for space saving/aesthetics i'm going for the R45's at the rear(only marginally weaker than the R90's to my ears and cheaper/smaller)

Just need to add a decent sub now, want a small , downward firing model(to save it getting damaged by the kids)

Considering; MJ Acoustics Pro50, Mordant-Short 309i, BK Gemini 200,BK XLS200 - any thoughts

A

Anonymous

Id go for the BK, more clout for your bucks and just as tunefull as the mj

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts