A Phono Preamp Upgrade for Rega P3-24 / Elys 2 and Rega Brio 3

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm going to upgrade my system with a new phono preamp. I’m running Rega P3-24 / Elys 2, Rega Brio 3 integrated amp and Rega R3 speakers with some Chord speaker cables. I guess Rega Fono MM will be a sort of a blank shot here, so I decided to look at Gram Amp 2 SE or Lehman Audio Statement phono preamps. Do you think it is worth trying those preamps or I need to look at something else?

Thank you.

Hi 9130 welcome to the forum.

The amps you mention are both worth an audition particularly the Lehmann.

Might I also suggest you look at the Trichord Dino Mk2, you might even find one second hand.

Whichever you decide to go for make sure it is both a MM and Moving Coil device as it will give you more choice in future systems.

northernsoul

May 7, 2010
Visit site
9130:
I'm going to upgrade my system with a new phono preamp. I'm running Rega P3-24 / Elys 2, Rega Brio 3 integrated amp and Rega R3 speakers with some Chord speaker cables. I guess Rega Fono MM will be a sort of a blank shot here, so I decided to look at Gram Amp 2 SE or Lehman Audio Statement phono preamps. Do you think it is worth trying those preamps or I need to look at something else?

Thank you.

I'm not so sure you would reap the benefits of a dedicated phono amp with your Rega kit at present - if you plan to upgrade the amp and cartridge in the near future then yes but my thoughts would be to upgrade maybe the cartridge first before adding a dedicated phono amp.

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
The stage in the brio is well matched to the elys, the MM Phono is a better, but I think you need to decide which way you are going longer term. Will you be staying with MM carts, or will you maybe want to move to MC. If you go MC will you want a one box stage, or would you go with a SUT and MM stage. Something like the Slee reflex would be a superb start,.

A

Anonymous

Both would be a big step up on the Brio's stage but I'd STRONGLY suggest you listen to a Dynavector P75 mk2.

For sheer musicality, it is one of the BEST stages below £1000 (new I think they're £500ish new, although you could try and find a 2nd hand mk1)

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for your input. I'll certainly try to audition a Trichord Dino Mk2 amp that might be a worthy upgrade.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for your message. The urge for my current Rega system upgrade is that I always tend to increase the volume to give way to some minor sonic details that seem to be lost in brio's built-in phono preamp. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that Elys 2 is able to deliver quite rich and detailed sound that brio's preamp is not able to utilize completely and pick out some minor sonic details.

Thank you.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I love Rega. I have owned three of their turntables, two of their amps, a Fono-Mini and a pair of their R3 speakers over the years.

A friend who owns a Rega P3-24 (with Denon DL-103 cartridge and Denon AU-300LC step-up transformer) uses a Rega Fono MM feeding a Primare i30 and ATC SCM11 speakers.

One thing I have learnt over many years of owning Rega is that it all works best with other Rega gear. (Good with Naim as well.)

In fact - given the sort of money a Trichord costs - you might find what you want to hear by upgrading the amp to a Rega Mira 3 (£448) instead. Better MM input, more 'poke' and more refinement/detail.

At least you would have an amp to sell to help mitigate the upgrade expense. (With the Trichord it would all be outlay.)

After that - if you still have funds - upgrade the Elys 2 to an Exact. That one is a blast!

[Late edit: You did not mention if you have the Rega TT-PSU for your P3-24. If not, then get one as soon as you can. It turns the P3-24 from a really good record deck into a fantastic one! Probably moreso than a cartridge or phono-stage upgrade.]

What Chebby says does indeed make very good sense both financially and upgrade wise.

I hadn't thought of it that way and was concentrating on the phono preamp.

You would be tied to a MM cartridge, but that is no big hardship, still plenty of scope to upgrade there in the future.

If you can get the Mira 3 for that sort of money it's the way I would go.

KT66

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I'd change/upgrade the turntable first. Otherwise you will have an inbalanced system

the P3 is good, BUT despite what our US Cousins think it is still an entry level TT.

source first....and all that.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
KT66:the P3 is good, BUT despite what our US Cousins think it is still an entry level TT.

source first....and all that.

The Rega RP1 is their 'entry level' turntable.

The P3-24 (especially with the TT-PSU) is a very accomplished set-up and will be a perfect match with a £448 Mira 3.

Balance....and all that.

A

Anonymous

Guys, I really appreciate your feedback. Thank you!

Unfortunately I'm not ready to switch to Mira 3 yet. I fully understand that in this particular situation Mira would be a natural upgrade and a long term investment, which will probably eliminate my longing for a better phono preamp. But.Not now, not now.

I must admit I'm still running my P3-24 without TT-PSU. I hope I'll get one by the end of this month though.

Let alone all the marketing hype around this little black box and eloquent exercises of review gurus, it sounds like this PSU is a real must for P3-24.

Apart from "veil lifting" effect (sorry, can't remember which review I took it from) keeping the motor free from vibration and switching between 33 and 45 rpm, what else does it do? Does it affect cartridge electromotive force, or I want too much for £150?

Chebby, another question for you, if don't mind, Elys 2 and Exact what is the actual difference between them? Exact coil wires of a higher grade? Stylus? There's not much information around about Exact apart from Paul Szabady's review in Stereo Times published back in 2003 (02.03.2003).

Thank you.

A

Anonymous

I have a very similar request to 9130. I upgraded an old NAD 5120 to a Rega P3-24 / Elys 2 with TT-PSU about 12 months ago. The rest of the system is a Primare I30 and Spendor A5's using a Project phono stage into the Primare. Originally I had not planned to invest any more as my vinyl collection was not huge and not in great condition in many cases plus most of my listening was via a Quad 99 CDP-2.

I listen to a wide range - rock, blues, jazz and classical mainly - and recently I inherited my Dad's collection of classical LP's. There are some really good records and the condition is much better than mine (I am ashamed to say). However I also find a similar problem to 9130 which is having to really turn the volume up loud to get to alot of the detail - I know the Spendor's do take some driving - but is this the Project phono amp or do I need to look elsewhere to solve it?

I am pretty ignorant regarding turntables - but would like to learn more. Also, now I have some decent vinyl to work with I would be grateful for any advice on a) how to get the most out of it with my setup and b) any advice on possible upgrades (cartridges, phono stages etc) that would enhance this deck with the I30 and A5's? Also - how far can you go with the Rega and get a good return on upgrade investment (for example - would the new Primare R32 at £850 be a step too far considering the deck and PSU cost me half that on a great deal from Moorgate Acoustics in Sheffield?)

The Rega was meant to be my "final" turntable as I hadn't anticipated an increase it good quality vinyl - but if it will reward further investment I would really like to consider it. There is alot of good vinyl about still and maybe if I could get sound from the Rega to match or better the Quad I might be adding to the vinyl collection even further.

Many thanks

Penfold

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts