A not so full English . . . ?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have seen the thread on record cleaners, still seems to be 'frying bacon'? I have just taken delivery of a 'Disco-antistat', not cleaned any records yet, have a couple of other projects in progress . . . as well as recently my records have reduced considerably 'frying the bacon', its still there a bit but reduced. The 'static' as one lifted a record off the platter was some times also very high, now non existant.

I ask the question why? . . . my cleaning ragime when I place a record on the TT has not changed. However a couple of other things have, I have changed the tone arm, the new one has ceramic bearings blocking electrical paths and one presumes static paths? I have also isolated the platter from the main structure with rubber stand offs, I now use a tone arm earth link to the amp, did not need it with the previous arm.

Is the above significant to reduced snap, crackle and pop?

CJSF

stevieg330

May 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi CJSF,

Can't say what is causing the problems with your frying bacon' sound but wanted to let you know my thoughts on the record cleaner you have just bought.

I also have the Knosti Disco-Antistat and I find that, on its own, it really isn't very good at getting muck out of the grooves. The bristles on the brushes aren't thin enough to do that in my opinion. It will get rid of finger marks and surface dust but nothing more really. Also what you read about the fluid leaving a white deposit is true, at least in my case. I used to clean a record and when I played it back a white powdery residue would be on the stylus and also deposited on the surface of the record.

I use a mixture of 3 parts distilled water, 1 part Isoproyl and a few drops of wetting agent. I have a couple of record mats and a pair of brushes designed for use with a record cleaning machine. Placing the record on the mat and putting some of the mixture on the lp surface I use the brushes to 'scrub' the record for about a minute each side. Then I use the disco as a water bath and rotate the record in it for around 30 seconds or so. Then leave it to dry.

I find this works so much better than the knosti on it's own and the records seem to be far cleaner. For dirty records It lowers the noise floor and does this even with new records.

I can't say if it works as well as a machine (probably not) but it certainly cleans the records extremely well so, if you find the knosti isn't making much difference then I would suggest trying my method and just use it as a water bath, see if it works for you.

HTH

Steve

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
stevieg330 said:
Hi CJSF,

Can't say what is causing the problems with your frying bacon' sound but wanted to let you know my thoughts on the record cleaner you have just bought.

I also have the Knosti Disco-Antistat and I find that, on its own, it really isn't very good at getting muck out of the grooves. The bristles on the brushes aren't thin enough to do that in my opinion. It will get rid of finger marks and surface dust but nothing more really. Also what you read about the fluid leaving a white deposit is true, at least in my case. I used to clean a record and when I played it back a white powdery residue would be on the stylus and also deposited on the surface of the record.

I use a mixture of 3 parts distilled water, 1 part Isoproyl and a few drops of wetting agent. I have a couple of record mats and a pair of brushes designed for use with a record cleaning machine. Placing the record on the mat and putting some of the mixture on the lp surface I use the brushes to 'scrub' the record for about a minute each side. Then I use the disco as a water bath and rotate the record in it for around 30 seconds or so. Then leave it to dry.

I find this works so much better than the knosti on it's own and the records seem to be far cleaner. For dirty records It lowers the noise floor and does this even with new records.

I can't say if it works as well as a machine (probably not) but it certainly cleans the records extremely well so, if you find the knosti isn't making much difference then I would suggest trying my method and just use it as a water bath, see if it works for you.

HTH

Steve

Thanks Steve, I take note of what you say, I have my own ingredients for the fluid, I did not like the sound of the white powder??

I have all he components to make my own DIY vacume record cleaner, just need time to get round to it, the D-A is a stop gap.

CJSF

stevieg330

May 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi CJSF,

Sorry, I couldn't see how to send you a private message (if it's possible) but I wanted to ask you what you thought of the Audiomods arm now you have had it a while. Do you think it was a worthwhile upgrade from the RB700 you used previously?

I currently have an RB300 on my deck and was wondering whether or not the Audiomods arm would make a good upgrade.

Is it a night and day change or just a subtle one.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Steve

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
stevieg330 said:
Hi CJSF,

Sorry, I couldn't see how to send you a private message (if it's possible) but I wanted to ask you what you thought of the Audiomods arm now you have had it a while. Do you think it was a worthwhile upgrade from the RB700 you used previously?

I currently have an RB300 on my deck and was wondering whether or not the Audiomods arm would make a good upgrade.

Is it a night and day change or just a subtle one.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Steve

Steve, sorry for delay, I will answere later, bit busy at mo.

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi Steve, well, I started to reply, grate arm, builds on it pedigree but has its own abuility and subtleties that you have to find, probably significant to the cartridge :?

Yes its not 'plug and play', then I got side tracked, I have been re setting the arm today, verious bits and their significance to each other, chang this and that need adjusting to help or compensate. Not dificult but as Jeff said to me when I picked mine up, 'it needs to go to a home that knows what they are doing'.

As I say, I got very lyrical in my first effort, this one is simple, it realy is superb. I'm getting more out of it now I have the new valve amps, its going to be a while befor I finaly settle . . . but I surly will, eventualy 8)

I'm loving the musical journey, in the nicest possible way . . . CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts